328 speedometer failed, any tips? | FerrariChat

328 speedometer failed, any tips?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nugget, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi there folks. It's been a long time since I have been on the chat site, unfortunately...My wife and I took our 328 out on a great ride today and the speedometer started getting weird. It would go to zero then go fully counter clockwise back to the original speed, then go to zero for 5 minutes then jump back up to the correct speed. It did that for about 10 minutes and finally died for the last hour of the drive. I assume it is a loose connection in the back or something easy, I hope. The odometer stopped on it as well, it only worked when the speedometer was. Does anyone have any hints. I assume I have to take it into the dealer, is this a major problem or easy fix. Also, the radio antenna doesn't want to go up unless you push down really hard on the switch, it goes down fine. Any easy fixes for that? Thanks, Glen

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Check the wire for the Speedo/OD...its prob lose or the connection isnt at 100%...clean the terminal and reconnect and see if its ok. That seems to be your issue. Good luck!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and unless you are thinner then paris hilton you wont be able to sqeeze under the car to check the wire. You will need to either jack it up or have it lifted.

If you have any generic local mechanic that you TRUST, he or she will be able to do that for u no prob and clean the connector.

4. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    I have had this problem. One of two things will fix it. First and more expensive is to replace either the speedo itself, or the sending unit located on the left rear fender wall in the engine bay. I replaced the sending unit, cost w/ labor around $350.00. If you are lucky, you can clean the connection to the same unit, add some dielectric grease to increase conductivity and this may fix it. It did fix my problem for around a month, but only intermittently. Either way it is an easy fix and not too much $$$. Good luck.

5. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking it might just be a connector. I think I will take it into the dealer and hopefully they can fix it by cleaning and reconnecting the wires. Thanks again for the help. Glen

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nugget,
    The speedo sender and the connection are quite accessible if you have a jack (and stands) or a lift. If the cleaning doesn't fix it, I would bet that you simply need a new sender. The senders fail with great regularity on these cars. It would not be uncommon to be on the SECOND replacement by now, based on age.

I'm pretty sure there are photos of the location in the archives of the old F-chat site.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I agree with Dave, it's probably the impulse generator. A part that frequently fails.

Save yourself some time and money. Check connections and if all are good, replace the generator. It's very easy to do!

Simply unplug the old one, put a wrench on the generator and unscrew it. Reverse the procedure to install the the new one.

The whole job may take 1/2 hour to do, which includes jacking up the car to get underneath it.

I'll bet it's the generator, because your description of what's happening, is a classic description of a generator that's gone south.

8. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    had the same symptons on my 308. It turned out to be the sender unit that had worked loose. Works fine after re-tightening it. Just the sort of fault I like :)