How to tighten up 348TS top fit? | FerrariChat

How to tighten up 348TS top fit?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NC348, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    How to i tighten up the fit of my roof? it is slightly lifted in the front and whistles loudly once i get going over 50 or so. i looked at the screws in the top of the windshield frame, but no ajustment apparent. i looked at the latches on the top itself, but no joy there, either.

2. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    What is the condition of the weatherstrip?

3. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    the condition is great. looks like someone replaced it sometime, or never took much abuse. the top seems to just "float" or sit on top of the rubber, and does not fit flush with winshield frame. i can still push it down by hand 1/4 inch or so to fit flush.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If you look on the under the top, were the latches are, you'll see that there are shims under the latch. Remove the screws holding the latch to the bottom of the top. Take the latch off and remove the shims as needed to get the top to fit properly. Replace everything, and you should be good to go.

5. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Ernie,
    i saw the shims, in fact i made two more thinking i needed more, which would "lower" the mount into the cabin, thereby tightening the latch. my screws would not reach, so i abandoned that approach. so you are saying REMOVING the shim will work.

i will try that tonight.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What are the condition of the forward "pins" on the top? The early style were rubber, and the rubber can wear/tear away, leaving just the metal base and a looser fit. The new style are made from a more durable type of plastic. They are cheap...maybe $10 each.

7. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Dave,

FORWARD pins?????
    DO you mean the two rear locator pins? i have no pins in front (winshield) frame, just the two latches. the top rests directly on the rubber after being seated into the rear pins.
    am i missing parts? i see no pins in my owners manual, either
    ????

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well I would think that by removing a shim it would reduce the amount of distance that is between the latch and the top. As a result when it is closed shut it would pull the top down more. But maybe I'm thinking backwards. What ever the case add them or remove them to fit. If you need longer screws, you should be able to find longers one that will fit. Another thing is what condition are the rubber boots in, that are on the end of the clip. They could be worn out, which would also not allow the roof to make a nice tight fit. What is really gonna drive you nuts is when you finally stop the whistling but water still gets in. LOL.

9. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Ernie, i dont have any booties! i have metal to metal contact at the latch. maybe thats my problem. booties would add space to the equation, causing the latch to be effectively "extended" for more latching power. i did notice when fooling around with it that if i inserted a washer between the latch and the receiver, i got a better fit.

any ideas on who has the booties?

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would call around. Ferrari UK, a sponser here, should have some. I suspect that they shouldn't cost too much.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    NC348 sorry, the 348 top may be "reversed" from the 308/328 top, but they use the same pins. I am not certain if the latches are the same though, but the 308/328 latches have rubber covers over the metal latch. The often wear out and come off. I am uncertain if they are available seperately. Do report back if they are (or you find them)

I just checked the Ferrari Owner's Site and Ferrari UK shows the latch (for the 328) as being one discrete part number $166! An email to them, may show the rubber piece being able to be ordered seperately....

Dave