Corvette project hulk down the drain | FerrariChat

Corvette project hulk down the drain

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Horsefly, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Not a Ferrari, but here's how my day went. About a month ago, a car dealer friend of mine who attends the auto salvage auctions told me about a "theft recovered" 1975 Corvette convertible that was up for a "sealed bid" auction. The bids were being opened up the next day, so my friend asked me if I wanted him to place a bid on the car. Not having even seen the hulk, I had him throw an $800 bid on the car for me. You never know. Maybe I would get lucky. Well anyway, the car sold for $1700 to somebody else. Fast forward to a few days ago. Another friend is driving around and spots a 1975 Corvette convertible at a small wholesale car lot. You know the story: it was the same car. I drive over to look at the car from outside the fence LATE after work, and the car lot owner was still there, so he let me give it the once over. I told him that I knew he paid $1700 for the car and that I would think about it. This morning I went back and looked the car over real good in the daylight. The car was stolen by hammering in the steering column which the car lot guy "fixed" good enough to make the key turn but column still felt like a rusty wagon wheel. Of course the major point was this: when the car was stolen, the engine and transmission were removed by the thieves and haven't been seen since. The car was hit in the rear at one time and the now-aftermarket rear panel was held in place by screws that were completely pulled loose on the entire driver's side. The driver's side rear view mirror was completely torn off leaving a large hole in the door. The instrument cluster bezel was broken apart and the entire radio and bezel assemblies were gone. The console trim plates were gone. The battery compartment fiberglass had a giant hunk ripped loose and it's amazing that the battery (which was missing) even stayed inside the car. The driver's side "A" frame had a giant crack where it had torn loose from the main frame and a half baked attempt at welding it back in place left a giant gap. The air conditioner evaporator housing had a hole in the fiberglass. The paint was a non-original color with giant scrapes and gouges throughout. Door panels were missing assorted fasteners and handles. Of course the car lot guy had immediately gone out and bought $400 worth of rally wheels to go on the car and also up the price. Other than the above mentioned items, the car was in good condition!!!

I told the car lot guy that I knew what he gave for the car and that I would give him $3200 for the car. He politely declined saying that he had already been offered more. Apparently $1700 for the car plus $400 for the wheels plus $1100 profit for basically doing nothing of any value to the car was just not enough.

Don't you just love those guys who intercept a good potential project car just so that they can jack up the price into the stratosphere. I'm sure that the next sucker,...er, I mean buyer will take it home, install a junkyard 350 engine and turbo 400 transmission and then try to gouge the next sucker for eight or nine thousand. What a waste of a decent project car.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Horsefly, i feel your pain but i really really think that car was a waste of your time. please dont take it the wrong way but i deal with older " muscle " cars as a ( trying to get off the ground ) business. that is not a good year/ body stye for the corvettes. even after all your hard work, without the numbers matching drivetrain you would NEVER get any real money for it. i mean it may be something you really like..... and thats great but i KNOW you can find nice 1974/1975 convertable ( 4 speed is better ) vette for under $7500.00. i have a 76 stingray with the L82 that has been " modified" ( in a good way ) with a 4 speed, TONS and tons of new parts ect. i doubt i will be able to get more than $8-9k tops for it.i took it on trade + cash for a nice 73 camaro i had. i have a weakness for 4 speed cars. i wish i knew why...... lol... i have no clue where you are but i have some connections for finding things if you really REALLY want something. i HATE it when someone screws up a deal for you when you are working on it. again., i feel your pain but there are always others lurking out there that want to be found. some of the other threads have a few pics of the vette and a few of my others that have come and gone ( OR NEED TO, I WANT A FCAR DAMMIT )

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Thanks Carreaper, but it's no great loss because I have other Corvette projects already in the barn. My worst loss was a '59 Vette with hardtop that had been smacked in the side of the right rear fender and right door. After much negotiations, the cautious salvage yard owner told me that I could have it for $5000 with an extra door and some other pieces that he had collected to eventually repair it. He was a very hesitant guy when it came to selling anything, so he wanted me to put my offer in writing to make everything legit for his business purposes. About a month later, a bunch of starry eyed Corvette BOZOs with more money that brains offered him $7000 for the car as it sat without even bothering to find out about the other parts that COULD HAVE gone with it. Needless to say, he forgot all about MY deal and sold the car to the other idiots. And as always, it ended up being bounced around from profit monger to dreamer to gouger. Another loss.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Arlie, maybe you should finish up the other projects in the barn before you start a new one? :)

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    WOW! a 59! the pre '72 stuff are the only vettes i really like, of all the many cars i have had, the 76 is only the second vette. my first was a 1978 pace car, but i dint have it for very long as someone was like" OHHHH IVE ALWAYS WANTED ONE OF THOSE "and with much $$$ it was his lol.Hosefly sounds like we have a lot in common, i didnt realize you were into the same thing. thanks for not taking my 1st post the wrong way. i am relieved to know that YOU know whats up. the frame damage on the convertable 75 would have led me to chop it up, if the price was cheap.there are NO parts for 2nd gen trans ams and camaros, i have done well buying driveable tired ones and using them for parts to fix the numbers matching or rare ones.i am hoping to get my business license ect done soon as i want to pursue my hobby to a higher level and start locating cars or specific parts for people.i have a lawyer and a CPA on tennure and they have made things easier. the whole IRS liabilty/ tax laws make my head spin but as of yet all of my papers have been in order as the russians used to say. horsefly pm or post a few pics of the projects. i love looking at old cars , in any shape, some see junk where i see ART! lol. take care guys, i have to do brakes on a friends 911 this morning on the condition i get to drive it around for awhile. michael

6. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Someone did you a favor by buying that out from under you, don't look back.

Ed