motor oil for Testarossa | FerrariChat

motor oil for Testarossa

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rene, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I have an '87 TR and have been using engine oils closest to the recommended Agip 10W50. In fact this particular oil is all but impossible to find, but presumably progress in oil development means that a variety of substitutes is possible.

Basically I have two questions: first, which oil would you recommend and, if this is not an all-synhetic oil, is there any advantage to using the latter anyway ?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My TR went 115k miles on Castrol GTX.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Rene -- What is your reference for 10W50? (My TR OMs call for 10W40). I also have just been using Castrol GTX 10W40.

4. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Rene:

I have a 1985 Ferrari 308QV and a 1990 Alfa Spider. Both cars require Agip 10W-50 as per the owners manuals and stickers in the engine compartment. Agip has not made 10W-50 for serveral years. They now make 10W-40 SINT 2000 or (SYNT 2000 - same stuff but one is made in Europe and one is made in the USA) and this is the oil recommended by Agip, my local Ferrari dealer, and my mechanic. The stuff is hard to find, so you may want to call Agip (www.americanagip.com) and have them ship you several cases.

Ken

5. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    I wouldn't consider anything but synthetic, and Castrol now makes a 5W50, which I like as the lower starting weight provides better protection at startup. I use synthetic in the transaxle of my 308 as well.

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Here in the UK we use Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40, this has been specially "blended" by Shell for Ferrari

MW

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If you have any extreme use, and/or very high ambient temperatures, use a 10w60.

Malcolm, the 360 Challenges turn the shell to gnats pi55 here in Oz. The datalogging shows spikes of huge oil temp and pressure loss using shell.

Michelotto use 10w60 in the 360 GT cars, in all conditions.

I find Castrol R synthetic 10w60 bombproof in all cases, but pricy.

8. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Phil,

To clarify we only use the Shell Helux 5W/40 in road cars, we still use Shell in our Challange cars, it's the same viscocity as you are useing being 10W/60

MW

9. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I am very, very grateful for your replies and for the speed with which you answered too. Perhaps Ferrari buffs and speed go hand in hand, or more likely Ferrari chatters are simply the best.

I live in London, so obtaining Castrol or Shell to the specifications you suggest, Napolis, jw6513 and Ferrari_uk_tech, will be no problem. Kdross, I spent the Christmas holidays in Italy where every other petrol station seemed to be Agip. I did wonder whether buying several cans of oil might be a good idea, but concluded that at airport security I was more likely to be allowed to board a flight with olive oil or grappa.

I don't find it easy to read the dipstick, which I was told should not be done from cold, the problem being that the reading is taken from a dry sump. Looking at the manual, it suggests letting the engine idle "for a few minutes", stopping it and taking a reading "after a few seconds". Whereupon, instead of getting a zero reading when the car has been unused for several days, I seem to get a dipstick with oil all the way up to the top -even after wiping it ! My solution has been to follow, ever faithfully, the blessed manual and to top up with a litre of oil every 5 or 600 miles.

Since aquiring the car last August I have done 6000 miles without problems, although at the end of a long run in hot weather (upwards of 500 miles across European motorways), there is sometimes a high-pitched whine emanating fromt the motor...

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I would not just add a liter every 500-600 miles, always check first as every engine is different than the manual. I would suggest waiting a minute or so after shut down and read the dipstick

11. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rene - be carefull how long you wait after stopping the engine before checking the oil level, the longer you wait the more chance you have of overfilling - the best way is to check the level as soon as you have stopped the engine.

MW

12. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    A tip=If you aren't used to watching your oil pressure guage, start doing it. When mine is properly filled, it goes directly to the TDC of the pressure guage and doesn't drop at idle but a hair. You can tell if your oil is low or needs checking. Then you don't have to really worry about letting it get too low.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ferrari changes the spec on the recommended oil based on their favored supplier, and what that supplier makes. There is a service bulletin dated 6-15-88 #00-25 stating that the new preferred oil is now Agip Sint 2000 10w-40 and that the recommendation switched, based on 10w-50 no longer being made by Agip.

I am certain if you were to ask, they would recommend that you use the current Shell Helix 5w-40 synthetic, which is likely to be fully compatible with you car.

Personally, I would just find something that suits you, they are all probably fine. Mobil 1 5w-40 or 0w-40 is probably much cheaper than the Shell Helix, and just as good, if not better.

Check the threads on oil pressure and oil "weight" both on the new and old site. Great info by Ali Haas on the subject.

14. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Dave:

Where did you get the info regarding the service bulletin? Is there a source to obtain the service bulletins of Ferraris either on the Internet or privately?

Ken

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ken,
    go here: http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/books/

I got the info from the link for the 328 tech specs, etc...it has some of the relevant TSB and service bulletins and some apply to other models of Ferraris at the time. I know of no comprehensive list of TSB's or serivce bulletins available any where specific on the net or available for purchase.

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I agree with Dave and that is my understanding as well. I believe Ferrari went from Agip to Shell in 1996, for both their F1 team and road cars. My understanding is that as long as you stay within the same oil weight recommended for your car and for the climate you are in, you will be fine. I would however, use synethics oil instead of conventional oil as they tend to provide better range of protection.