Do you have to replace cam seals on a 328? | FerrariChat

Do you have to replace cam seals on a 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Battman2, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

Was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm in the process of looking for a 328 and in speaking to a potential seller about the service history of his car, he told me that he's never had the cam seals replaced on his 1987 328 (with 20k miles) - and aksed, why would he?

From what I've read (on this forum and other places) - I thought this was a 'must replace item' on 328s? However, I'm a "want to be", not an owner, so I claim ignorance. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Why would he, because they dry out and leak. What service has he done and by whom? They are a minor job, but are part of a major service - so if that was ever done then the seals were replaced.

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    if he had the belts replaced most have the seals done at the same time.

4. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Hey Battman and Gang, I think you are speaking of my car. I have only owned the car for 6 months. I always wanted a Ferrari, and finally bought one. It was quite an experience. I went to the UK to purchase it. It's a US spec car, originally sold here and sent to UK about ten years ago. It took me about two months to track it down and make all teh arrangements. I flew over in late July and bought it. My wife and I made a vacation of it, and the experience makes for a great story. The reason I am selling it is simple. We found out that we're having baby number two. I am elated by the news, but it was misfortunate timing. Back to the car, because it was driven so little, I went ahead and had most of the 30k mile service done by a mechanic/business associate in SC. He did the belts/fluids/plug wires/tuning/etc. I do not believe he changed the Cam Seals, but I am happy to ask. They don't leak. The vehicle was also serviced in the UK about 2 years ago. I have partial records on the car. The previous owner did a lot of the work himself. The mileage is verifyable by the UK annual MOD certificates and frankly any mechanic that checks the engine will verify it. All in all, the car is not perfect, but the Mechanics are excellent and the interior is nearly perfect too. With that in mind, I am not asking a fortune for it either. If someone brings me $36k---------------I'll sell it and move on. I have a Porsche and need to add another 4 door for obvious reasons. I don't have room for 4 cars, and the Porsche is just dearer to my heart. I won't bore you with that story. The car runs excellent. It starts immediately, no matter what the weather, and it runs like a scalded dog. All it needs is a little tender lovong care and some cosmetic work below the midline. Take a look.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/8/62065228.htm

Kind Regards,

Matt

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Just curious - Why is all the red paint off the engine?

6. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Are you speaking of the Fuel Injector Unit? If so, I cleaned it in preparation for repainting it. You can buy aircraft quality paint remover at nearly any autoparts store and it will clean it bare.

I just haven't taken the time to get the last little bit of paint off and then repaint it. I live in an old part of Atlanta and I am in the process of having some major remodeling done to our home. In prep for the new little one. It's hard enough for me to monitor this board, keep up with the Porsche Pete board, manage the construction, help my preganant wife with our 18mos old, and actually earn a living. I may have a pre-repaint picture...it was typical with chipping and fading.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Matt -

Thanks! Sounds like you are quite the busy man - The paint chipping is normal - I had mine stripped & then I repainted it.

8. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Yeah, we're pretty busy, but not by plan. We tried for 6 years to have our first baby. Went through the complete fertility procees incluidng operations for both of us. Just when we were going to adopt, we were blessed with a little girl, Chloe. She is 18 mos and the next one is due in early April. Who would have thought w ecould have another?

How do you like you Ferrari? What are your good and bad experiences with it? Frankly, I would like to keep the car. Man, there is nothing like it. It's addictive. We've had some nice days her in Atlanta over the past week or so...it's way more smiles per hour than the Porsche.

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I sold a little Boxster to get the 328 - I liked the Boxster, but the 328 makes me much happier. :)

I have only had it for about 3 months now, but I love it! Did a lot of work on the interior & it feels like new now. I posted the work on the interior & the engine paint here :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2842

I enjoy driving it every chance I get. I also got married less than a year ago, but as of now, we are not planning on having kids.

Congrats on your new addition to the family!

10. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Wow - Love those pedals - the interior looks great.

I still love the boxster, but have too much $$$ invested in it. Engine and appearance.

Matt

11. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey MMechling and all - Thanks for all the replies...but MMechling is innocent. I had this conversation with a different 328 owner and I was quoting his reponse when I wrote "why would I?"

Thanks, Battman

12. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    No problem - Just looked like my response to someone who is interested in buying mine. It got me out of working for a while...it's so hard to tune back in after the holidays. I am already having College Football withdrawl symptoms...

Good luck in your search.

Matt in Atlanta

13. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    CONGRATS ON YOUR FAMILY oops dang caps lock button!!!!

very nice 328 by the way!!!! the boxster aint so shabby either!!!!

doug

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like the rims you put on the Boxster - Mine was a similar color - Seal Grey.

15. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Thank you very much...as my pops says, "Time of your life, eh kid"....though I am definetely not a kid anymore...well maybe in my heart. Y'all need to convince me to keep the 328. My heart wants me too, but I can't get over the Boxster...what is wrong with me? Is there a medicine or something I can take to cure this?

16. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hey MMechling - we actually did exchange some e-mails about your 328...I really appreciate you're forwardness regarding the condition, etc. I'm still thinking about it. And as for having people convince you to keep your Ferrari - this is probably the place. However, I'm an owner want to be...so not much help. On the other hand, I have driven both the 328 and the Boxster...very different cars, both great for different reasons...I think you should keep both! Unless you end up selling me the 328 :)

Battman

17. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    You are smart to get involved here. These guys are the experts and they can really help you make a wise purchase. I spent countless hours in the archives before and since purchasing it. I really do love the car, and could probably store in SC at my brothers dealership, but I hate the thought of owning four cars for two people.

You should jump on a plane and come see it. Drive it and get a feel for the car. It's a runner. Where do you live?

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What you need is a family car.

Might I suggest the following? :)

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "The reason I am selling it is simple. We found out that we're having baby number two."

Your not going to make the new baby sleep in the garage where the Ferrari went are you? ;)

20. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    -"Your not going to make the new baby sleep in the garage where the Ferrari went are you? ;)"

Dave, there would probably be a better chance of my sleeping there than the new baby...my wife has a decorator going to town in the new baby's room right now...heck, I might have to sell the car just to afford the bedding...Good Lord! ;0)

- "Might I suggest"

Tillman, can you add two more doors to that?

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift