In the market | FerrariChat

In the market

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dfratini, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    I have recently made the decision to sell my Z-3 and move up to and F-car. Based on pricing consideration I am mostt likely Iinterested in a 328 or a 348 and depending on the price a 348 Spyder.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice to a first time buyer.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Dear dfratini, welcome to the world of exotics. Good choice as your starter car. If price is not much of a concern you should look at the 348 or a testarossa. Both are up there in service costs but a blast adn sound you will never forget.

If service is a big concern, you might enjoy the lifestyle of the 328, it has a bulletproof engine and tranny and very easy to drive, bit tight, but a fun car. Do not expect this car to be super fast...it is what it is, a 275 horsepower fun toy. Any yr is good 86-89, just make sure whatever you buy has good documentation and service.

You must drive both cars to really decide. Do your homework and take a freind who can bring you down to earth once you see them and drive them. The sound is great and you don't want to buy on impluse, some really sweet cars out there.Good luck and let us know what you got.

3. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Big Red,

Thanks, I have a firend who has a 348 Spyder and lets me drive it on occaision. This is probably what sent me over the edge, spending a full day driving around the mountains of Idaho on a gorgeous spring day!

When you say high maintenance other than the regular engine out service what are some of the frequent 348 gremlins that I should be aware of?

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    dfratini,

You will find a wealth of information on the cars on this site. Browse through the tech section and do a search on what you need to know. Don't forget to search through the old FChat site too.

Since you're in Spokane, please join us at NWRFCA. We have a lot of activities throughout the year.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Even though there is no such thing as an inexpensive Ferrari, the 348 and TR's tend to be at the higher side than other Fcars..ie, 308,328,456,550 and the like. For some reason this was an era of ferrari history where some uncommon gremlins came in. My 86 never has electrical problems, but 3 of my other buddies who have a 348 and testas have things go weird on them. Not sure why but these two models do. The 328 from what i've heard, never ownerd the 328 is virtually impossible to abuse. The interior holds up better, the quailty is better than the 348 and more durable than the TR. Best kick for the money.Either way you go, there is alot of info on both to help. Just make sure you buy the best example you find..look for documentation.Drive both and try to stay cool during your purchase, think with your head. Your heart and soul will make you buy all of them.Best of Luck !!

6. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I bought a 308 because I was told by my Mechanic to do him a favor and myself a favor and stay away from 348 unless you know 100% if car has been maintained.

7. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade