Spyder battery finally died! | FerrariChat

Spyder battery finally died!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by StoryBook, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Left the 360 spyder idle for 2.5 weeks and finally wouldn't start. Battery was dead as a doornail. Stockpro came over and helped me jump it with cables.........after getting the connections correct, she fired right up. That damn battery is in such a ridiculous spot........behind the passenger footwell?? What the hell were they thinking! Spent the rest of the afternoon giving her some loving around town!!:)

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    From various reports here on FChat, it seems like 2.5 weeks idle, without the battery tender, is about the life limit for the battery in the 360. I don't leave my car sitting that long so it's still good.

What about just starting the car every 2-3 days? I think that might help.

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Just starting it won't charge the battery. Actually, that will draw down power. Best bet is to start her and drive it.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. I guess the best solution would be to use a battery tender then.

5. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Jumping it from the Rover worked just fine........after getting the connections right of course.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Andrew reviewed the F-chat archives and said that it may be a combination of the current draw of the 360 while sitting idle (parked, turned off) and the so-so quality of the Fiamm factory battery. So, either use the battery tender, or get a Optima battery. Or do both. Or as Willis does, drive regularly.

7. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Doesn't anyone just turn off the master battery switch as per the manual? I assume you'd lose the radio presets, but so what. The manual just says to let the ECUs calibrate for 10 seconds after turning everything back on. It seems simple and a great solution for another month or so of shutdown (if needed)?? - Tim

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Searching the Fchat archives I noticed that several people have recommended Optima Red Top batteries over the OEM Fiamm. However, Optima has confirmed that they don't make a battery that will correctly fit the 360 as the car's specs require a shorter battery. FWIW, FoS recommends using Interstate batteries for two reasons... proper fit and longevity over the OEM and Optima batteries.

9. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Glad we found out that the optima won't fit before buying it. Any harm in just keeping the original battery until spring when the auto is driven more. I'm thinking of doing what Tinslow suggested. Anything else lost besides just radio presents?

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Doubtful, other than the hassle of waiting 10 plus minutes and resetting the clock and radio presets. Can't you run an extension cord for the battery tender?

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    You need to punch in the code from the radio manual package. That's about it. I didn't bother doing that after I turned the power off up at Whistler. Don't use the radio anyway. :)

12. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Was that 10 seconds or 10 minutes? Sorry haven't really read the manual.

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    definitely remember to have your radio security code handy before disconnecting power.

14. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    *seconds*

The only other thing was that the intake temp had to be above 41 degrees or thereabouts. Not normally a concern, but given the recent weather! ;-}

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wow, 10 seconds is way better than the earlier cars...which require 10 minutes or so.

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    When we go to Ca we leave the mini cooper S hooked up to a trickle charger.(for 2 mo).The 575 came (for $850-duh) with a battery charger and attachment in the engine compartment and I have it attached all winter here in the NW.The 360 batteries are notoriously weak.
    Kuzt-That battery compartment in the passenger footwell in your 360 opens up in a few sec's (2 screws).You should buy a trickle charger ($35-$60) and leave it attached especially during this cold spell.
    Just running the engine will do zilch.

17. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Kuzi's spyder does have a trickle charger. Probably not a bad idea to run an extension cord and to the charger to maintain battery life. Otherwise we may be using the Rover to do a lot of jumping.

18. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Mine almost won't start but it was fine after three tries. But I will replace the OEM battery with Optima, like what I did with my 550. Never had problem although I did not start the car for 3 weeks and left it on all the time without starting the car.

Here is the info where to get the Optima battery,

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

19. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Let us know if you get the Optima to fit in the 360. According to Optima their batteries are too tall to properly fit. Will be interesting to find out.

20. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Anyone know how to turn the 360 into a 4x4. Seems thats the only way to get around these next few days.

21. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.

Sure, just go get yourself an Audi RS6 or S4 or you can always wait for the RS4 to come out. :)

22. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    RS4's have already landed. I have a friend that got one last year.

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.

That must be a B5 RS4 you are referring to since the new B6 RS4 does not exist just yet. The B5 RS4 were never Federalized for US market, heck of a car tho. I believe an Audi tuner here in Seattle had somehow imported a couple of them into the States a little while back. :)

24. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    You're right, it was a B5 RS4. My friend, Josh, who owns Actuning! in Redmond imported a couple last year. Not sabby for a grocery getter. :)

25. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My battery died about two weeks ago. Ron Tonkin recommends a Interstate battery as well--noting that it is cheaper, vented, and fits easily. They only keep the stock FIAMM on hand for warranty claims. FWIW I took the FIAMM into GI Joes and physically compared it to all of the Optimas--nothing is the same size, and further the shape of the case (due to plastic molding around the terminals) would seem to make it a difficult fit (and more difficult to secure) in the stock battery holdown. I'm sure there are creative solutions to make it work, but I'm going for the Interstate. (Optimas are sealed, so the vent tube issue isn't a problem). Of course, RTGT hasn't seen the Interstate delivery truck all week, thanks to the weather. Bummer.