348 owners: How's the ownership experience? | FerrariChat

348 owners: How's the ownership experience?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I've been considering trading out of my 82 308 2V and into an early 348. What are the pros and cons of the 348? Is it worth the extra $15 to $20K? If so, why?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Pretty big difference. You need to drive one 1st for about 15 minutes, then only you can decide if you wish to unload your 308. The 348 is a different car...fast, loud, and modern. But it is much more expensive to maintain...body panels aren't cheap and the service is also abit high. Only you can judge for yourself....but they are a sweet ride. If you decide to do the move contact me on this board for your 308...wouldn't mind having one again. I miss my first F-car.

3. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I love mine, I actually opted for this one instead of the 355 because I just liked the look more...to each his own. The 348 is faster than the 308 you own but becomes a much bigger PITA when it comes to service because the engine as to come out. Overall I have in 3 years of ownership dropped about 6k on the car this includes the 30k and Clutch. I have also dropped quite a bit on Tubi and other items but they are not what I would consider cost of ownership.

Despite what some say I believe the 348 is a damn reliable car if everything is straight on it from previous owners. I got a car no one took care of even though they said they did and had to put a lot of work in the first year, but since then she has been smooth.

Best advice is to drive your 308 down to the place the 348 is located at then drive the 348. You can be the judge then which one pulls your heart more.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have had my 348 since early November and am now in the process of selling my 308. I had originally intended to keep both cars but after driving the 348 for a few days I realized I would never drive the 308. They are totally different cars but if the 348 has been well maintained I think you would do better with the 348

5. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    We are still in the honeymoon phase with our 348, but we love it. It is our 1st Fcar. We considered 348's, 355's and TR's. The combination of size, styling and performance is what sold us on the 348. I prefer the look of the 348 over the 355.

Good luck!

-John

6. txhansen

txhansen Karting

Nov 30, 2003
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Rich Hansen
    I also made the jump from a 308 2v to a 348 Spider. Maintenance of the 348 has actually been easier (less) for me with the 348 that it was on the 308. I am much more comfortable taking it for a long ride than I was in the 308. Like many others I like the 355 better than the 348 but I could not get past the difference in price. For me the 348 was by far the best bang for the buck and get a top down experience to boot. Had my heart set on a TR until I drove a 348.