Rebuilt A-Arm Photo | FerrariChat

Rebuilt A-Arm Photo

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lou staller, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I just finished rebuilding all the front and rear a-arms on my '84 308. Attached is a shot of one of the rear arms. I powder coated them in semi gloss black then installed new inward bushings and replated the outer pieces and installed all new rubber. The rear bearing carrier/hubs are also done and will try to post a shot of them in a few days.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks better than new....

3. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    it would be a shame to get those dirty! lol.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Hey Lou, I got your email, check you private message box.
    Paul.

5. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    did you tack weld the bushings in after pressing and powder coating? Just curious as one the winter projects on my 78 is to do the bushings and I was wondering if it was just over kill to tack weld them on since on the other cars I have changed bushings on do not require welding.

6. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Lou, looks great! While you have the rear hubs off, are you planning on repacking/replacing the rear wheel bearings as well? I am performing a suspension bushings replacement effort on my '77 308GTB at this time as well. I understand to get to the rear bushings, a special deepwell socket that Baum Tools sells gains you access to them (deep inside the hub). If you are/have performing bearings servicing, did the tool work OK? I am considering purchasing one. Also, what type of CV joint grease do you plan on using when reinstalling the half-shafts to the hub? Thanks in advance.

7. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    joeyy, "it would be a shame to get those dirty" Yea you're right! The car will be going into the living room when it's done! If it turns out as good as some of the other cars I've restored it just might be sold before I get a chance to get it dirty. But my plan is to drive this one. We'll see...

pcelenta, I did tack weld the bushings in place after I pressed them in. I figured that if the factory took the time to do it, there's a good reason so I did the same. It didn't take 30 minutes for all the bushings and I can sleep a little better knowing they're done.

Neilg, I already finished the rear hubs. The rear bearings are the sealed type not requiring repacking of any grease. But I did replace them with new ones I purchased from my local ferrari dealer. Along with new seals and ring nut. You will need the special deep socket that Baum sells to remove the ring nut. I was fortunate to find a fellow F-chatter that was willing to loan me the tool which I used and returned. It worked perfectly, although I think he had to bevel the edge it to fit into the recessed area of the hub .

As soon as I can scan the photo of the hub carrier I will post it. Good luck with your project.

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Could you please tell us a bit more about what you replated & why?

We're in the middle of rebuilding Jonathan's rear suspension. Have masked & powder coated 1 A-Arm & are waiting for Christine to let him out of the house so he can do the rest...

9. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller