Autocar's Track Test @ Millbrook this week---911 GT3 RS vs 360 CS--------- | FerrariChat

Autocar's Track Test @ Millbrook this week---911 GT3 RS vs 360 CS---------

Discussion in '360/430' started by tonyh, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    GT3 RS- 0-30 mph = 1.7 sec
    0-60 mph = 4.4
    0-100 = 9.7
    0-150 = 24.3
    Standing qtr =12.7/113 mph
    Standing km = 22.8/146 mph

360 CS - 0-30 mph = 1.9
    0-60 = 4.4
    0-100 = 9.7
    0-150 = 23.5
    Standing qtr = 12.7/117 mph
    Standing km = 22.6/148 mph

VERDICT:
    4 1/2 stars 911 GT3 RS -Wears RS badge with pride and offers enough pace at the price to beat Ferrari[just]

4 stars 360 CS - Best car Ferrari makes today.Massively exiting but more compromised than GT3 RS.

2. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Nice.

Was the 360 CS a customer car or was it supplied by Ferrari?

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The 360 was supplied by Ferrari Uk , the 911 was lent by a "relaxed " owner !

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    It is "more compromised"? What do they mean by that?
    What was it they liked better about the GT3 RS?

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its great that the Stradale is more compromised IMO.
    Its what a Ferrari should be ..plus its still a very useable car considering how many i see in Paris .

The price difference was probably the main factor why they picked the Pcar over the Ferrari.
    The Stradale is just amazing.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Brian,
    this is how article ended;written by Chris Harris.

"So how on earth do you pick a winner? Two simply magnificent expressions of already superb machines, finished with a degree of visual & dynamic appeal that will certainly mark them out as heroes of the future.I drove the CS home the long way after we'd finished the shoot, and i mean the long 250 - mile detour route home.It rasped its way across Britain's belly providing one of the best steers i've had in many years.I reversed it into the garage, shut the engine down and listened for the hot bits to fizzle and chink, but all i could hear were the recollected words of Brendan Corr[owner of 911 GT3 RS] ; ' But for Stradale money i can have the 911 and an M3' . When the standard is so high, prgamatism matters more.No other new car on sale comes close to warranting comparison as a road/track supercar hybrid, but in offering the same dynamic thrills as the Stradale for considerably less outlay, it's the Porsche that's the greater achievement"

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Tell him to go buy that M3 and to Shut up :D !

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    thanks for posting this info - interesting stuff.

that article closing is great. the writer seems like an exceptionally rational guy.

doody.

9. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    I don't recall any model of Porsche in the same performance class as Ferrari being more expensive. If pricing is the major factor, Ferrari will always lose. I guess the extra money is paid for exclusivity, excellent look and many other qualitative factors associated with Ferrari.

10. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Thanks for the info Tony.

I am surprised that the Porsche was not quicker. Are there any times for lapping at the track?

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    'But for Stradale money i can have the 911 and an M3'

For Stradale money, I'll take the Stradale. Don't want a 911 or an M3. Seems like an interesting article, though.

12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    In my eyes, the 911 is a great driver's car, but is not really that exotic. Depending on how you define exotic, it may not even qualify for that classification (based purely on styling alone). Sure, the GT3 is a great performance car. But it's still a 911 (regardless of the badge it wears). If I wanted that type of car (track-ready roadcar) I'd part with the extra paper for a Stradale in a heartbeat.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    For driving, 911's are killer. However, I could never really get excited about one like I can about a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Nonetheless, I would not hesitate to get a 911, any year, for a track machine. They are great drivers.

14. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm sorry......but would someone please tell me the difference between the GT3 and a '94 911 ?

Oh....that's right.....different bumpers. No no...it would be the rear spoilers. No no...it would be the wheels.

If not for the little styling cues, those cars all look the same!!!!

If the guy figures out what car he would buy, by how many other cars he could buy at the same time, he really doesn't get it.

Just my jaded opinion.

15. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    For GT3 RS money I would take a GT3... and a nice watch.

The RS is just too hokey looking for my taste.

16. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    No GT3-RS coming to the US I'm afraid.

I've not driven the new GT3, but drove the 1st series 996 GT3 back in Europe. The GT3 is a fab car, miles more intersting than the regular 996 which is too GT-like. I also think the Turbo is somewhat too luxo-barge for my taste. In the US the GT3 lists for almost half the CS, so it is a conspicous bargain - but of course I'm buying a CS with a stripe, hooray for me!

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I would take the Stradale over the Porsche GT3 RS. I love the look of the Stradale's new body work and I find that Porsche is just too common looking.

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Loungedog,
    no lap times were given in the article. Here's a bit more of the article DEScribing the 360 CS launch control;
    " Accelerator to the floor, revs shoot to 7000rpm, brace yourself. A welt of piston shriek and then the realisation that you are not, in fact, moving- a glance in the weeny carbonfibre mirror revels plumes of tyre smoke.LC? More like Instant Burn-Out.Mental note to place IBO sticker on button for next user.If Michael and Rubens ran this software, then regardless of front row spots, they'd be looking at the back of 2 Minardi's at the first corner every weekend and a fresh set of rears come lap five. Best go manual.
    I'm not sure if there's a more difficult 0-30 mph vehicle on sale than the CS;2mm of throttle either side of perfection and it either bogs down or melts the rear Pirellis , which are proper Pirelli P-Zero Corsas with an appetite for heat that zero degrees at Millbrook are not providing.The best we see is 1.9 secs to 30 mph and only at the top of second can all 425 bhp finds its way to the road without wastage through slip.".......

Have CS owners found LC to be this tricky?

Tony

19. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In a manual, would they launch from 7000 RPM???
    No... then why are they doing so with the F1??

So far, everyone that I've heard that likes the LC
    is launching from 4K or less. Everyone I've heard
    that finds it useless is launching from 6K or more.

Of course, I haven't had the opportunity to try it
    myself yet. [grrrumble] :mad:

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    GT3 has the Turbo chassis, Turbo engine cases, Turbo heads, Turbo Transmission, and a large bunch of titanium parts inside the engine cases to allow Porsche to raise the rev limits from 7,500 to about 8,200 RPMs. Then the chassis gets all the Turbo suspension goodies, and gets lowered, better brakes, wheels and tires.

You should think of the GT3 as a naturally asperated Porsche Turbo!

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000130879.cfm

21. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So has anyone posted a scan of this article ... for those of us who never seem to find it on our magazine stands??

22. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Brian,

I just got that issue today. I will e-mail you the scans soon.

Anybody else want them?

Paul