Stradale pad replacement cost | FerrariChat

Stradale pad replacement cost

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Did we ever get a definitive answer to this question? On another board, someone quoted $3200 US front and $3000 rear.

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    For just pads? On one side or both?
    Or is that rotors and pads? And if so, one side or both?

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I read somewhere that the pads and rotors last alot longer than conventional brake parts. I think I read that the rotors should last almost a lifetime even with going to the track and the pads have a lifespan of about 60-70,000 miles. Not totally sure though would love to hear the real story

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The UK price for these parts are ((GBP) UK pounds sterling)

Front pad set (all you need both front wheels) 527.90 GBP
    Rear pad set (all you need both rear wheels) 428.10 GBP

Front discs (are these rotors in the US?) 3296.00 GBP
    Rear discs 3269.00 GBP

The discs should last for ages but the pads - well it depends on how you drive I guess

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, in US$ today, that's:

Front pad set = $963.42
    Rear pad set = $781.28

Front rotors = $6015.20
    Rear rotors = $6015.20

Ouch. But far more reasonable than $3000-3200 for just pads.
    And given the dollar is at a seasonal low against everything else, perhaps the US prices were set somewhat less. Roughly 4x the cost for pads and 6x the cost for rotors. Now if the pads last 2x as long and the rotors 4x as long, I'll be fairly happy (since I am getting a non-squeaky track pad usable on the street with awesome stopping power)!

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I hope this is true for the Stradale owners' sake. Porsche owners with similar composite brakes have not been so fortunate, with many reporting they had to replace pads and rotors after one track event, and others seeing premature wear and cracking even in street-only driving. Porsche is refusing to cover any warranty claims if the car was on the track, even for DE events. The R&T article on the Enzo (same composite system as Stradale) also mentioned a huge price for brake replacement was necessary after a track day.

Gary

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    NB this compares to:

Circa 3500 USD for 4 steel discs for the regular 360.
    Circa 1000 USD for factory pads (!)
    Circa 250 USD for non-factory pads.

8. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    There not quite the same thing though - the stoppers on the 360CS are soooooo big I'm thinking of painting mine dayglo green so people just look at them and ignore the car :)

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have a friend who has a technical contact at ferrari. he asked him about the longevity of the ceramic brakes on the stradale. he said the rotors would essentially last forever and the pads would last a very long time also. he said that you'd have to track the car all the time in order to wear the pads out :) not as detailed an answer as i was hoping for, but at least it sounded encouraging :)

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The trick is to cool them down. After hard braking use always drive for a few minutes with as little braking as possible.

11. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I'm still in "wait and see mode" - my primary intent is for mostly road use for the Stradale, the regular steel rotors on a street 360 don't survive track use v well (hence my knowledge of the cost on new rotors...).

I'm not sure I really want to be the first to discover the life of the brakes on the track...

So my "money saving" optimisation plan is to add a challenge or other track car to the stable for track days and using the CS mostly as a road car. To date I haven't *entirely* convinced my wife of the wisdom of this - notably because of the requirement for a trailer to be parked in our driveway :)

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's exactly what Porsche was saying about their PCCB system. They've changed their story since then, but they were basically saying they would last forever. Hasn't turned out to be true, quite the opposite.

Gary

13. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

Gary,

I recall Porsche saying that the ceramic rotors would be "life time" when the GT2 first came out in 2002. I think the problem was in the type of pad that was used that caused the problems with the brakes. They became too coarse when they were super heated on the track which then consumed the ceramic rotors. If I am not mistaken Porsche has since changed the pads to deal with the use under tracking conditions.

I hope Ferrari (or the supplier Brembo) has learned from Porsches mistake and have the proper pads/rotor combo ;) Considering what the Stradale is all about, a proper tracking car, it would be a shame if the brakes failed to meet expectations!!!

14. thomasmurphy

thomasmurphy Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    I hope the pads and rotors last longer than some of the discussions suggest. Next week I am running my Challenge car and the Stradale at the TWS track. The brakes on the race car are very good and at least on the street the CS brakes seem great. I'll let you know.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Porsche is refusing to cover any warranty claims if the car was on the track, even for DE events."

Amazing how car manufacturers eagerly utilize their racing heritage to entice buyers to purchase their car, but turn a deaf ear when there is any mention that the car has been on a race track. Ahhhh, those double standards again.

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    remember the advice of F to cool down CS brakes with two cool down laps!

great if you could let us knwo how the brakes and the CS behave on track

luckily the P & F carbon disks are obviously different designs:

P implementation designed by SGL Carbon
    http://www.sglcarbon.com/sgl_t/brakedisc/index.html

F implementation designed by Brembo
    http://www.brembo.com/press/CCM%20-%20Eng.pdf

17. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

And I will be there, too, instructing...and mooching a ride in the CS...

:)

Looking forward to seeing you again, Tom. Freebirds for lunch again?

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    How often is this pad change typically required, emphasis on typically, as I realize it can vary, but if you only occasionally track the car, but drive hard on the street?

19. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    How often do you change your pads in your current cars?
    That's about how often normal pads should last on a Ferrari.
    The verdict is still out on the Stradale carbon ceramic brakes...
    but should be longer driving "hard on the street" and an
    occasional track day. But driving HARD on the track might
    be very different, if they behave like the Porsche PCCBs.
    Let's hope that's just a Porsche problem.

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Info I received says:

rear pads appx $2000 US
    front pads appx $1800
    rotors $16,600 per axle

We seem to be all over the map on this one.

21. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Those are too high to believe. That is $37K for the brake rotors and pads. Or a $35K premium for Stradale vs. Modena. That leaves no money at all for any of the other expensive upgrades made to the Stradale. Doesn't seem too likely... unless Ferrari is planning to rape us!

If they are priced there, unless they last about 10 years of track use, they might at best sell a handful... we'll all just be putting on after-market brakes.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ha, I bought a WRX, and it came with a free SCCA membership.

But if I even autocross the car, my warranty is void.

23. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The prices I got here in the UK (see my earlier post) are absolutly for certain the correct price for all of the parts here in the UK. If you really are paying as much in the US as you are suggesting here then there is a simple answer - get somebody here in UK/Europe to get the parts over here as they are the same as the US brakes.