Doesn’t the Corvette C6 look a lot like the Ferrari 550/575 ?! | FerrariChat

Doesn’t the Corvette C6 look a lot like the Ferrari 550/575 ?!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jameel, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I caught a glimpse of the C6 yesterday on a show called “Sneak Peek” (North American International Car Show). Man, that is a beautiful machine. But it looks like GM copied the front from the Ferrari 550/575. I guess that’s why I think it’s so beautiful.

You have to hand it to the American car makers, they are coming up with very good sports / super cars these days. And with the introduction of this C6 they don’t look too bad either.

2. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    When I saw the photos of the new C6 in one of the car mags, I though the same thing.....looks a whole lot like a 550 to my eyes.

I think it runs close to a 550 as well. The mags are "predicting" mid 12's at 113-115 mph.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think the C6 looks like a Ferrari too but a different one. The C3 in 1968 copied the 1965 Ferrari 250GTO & The current C6 copies the C3.

So I would say that both the C6 & 550/575 copy the GTO

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

IMO, they always try to copy cat the F-car design.

Ferrari Wanna be, just look at the back light, what a moron.

Just like Lexus tries to copy MB

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I too am a die-hard Tifosi, but I think it is a little unfair to claim that one company tries to copy another's design out right like that. Keep in mind, there are only so many ways a car can be designed, in some respect all F1, IRL and Champ cars are all alike, and yet, vastly different from each other. Only once in a while can a specific design become truly revolutionary. I know I am going to get flamed for the following statement, but let us not forget that there were plenty of people saying that the 550 looks like a Toyota Supra when it was first introduced. Anyway, Corvettes has its own traditions and has its own place in the automotive history (I am pretty sure I was not the only one at Mr. Armstrong's garage tour). Just because it is not of a European blood doesn't mean it is any less of a car. :)

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nope, I dont think it looks anything like a 550/575, or any ferrari actually. it looks more like a refined, smoothed out c5, that's about it.

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    At first I didn't like the "spy photos" of the C6. The official pictures saved it for me. It's very Corvette in shape and features. But at certain angles, it does have a little Dodge Viper in it. Can't wait to see a C6 Z06.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm more enamored of Vettes since I got my 93 C4 roadster, its a great car. its no Ferrari but its a real beauty & its a joy to drive to law school every day w the top down.

Corvettes have no reason to make excuses as to their racing heritage which is just as strong as Ferraris, although they usually compete in different arenas.

GM has copied Ferrari since day 1 with the Vette & thats a great thing, Why shouldnt they copy #1 ? Since the first C1s were prototypes GM has bought 1 of every Ferrari production car to study & disassemble to apply that tech to their cars.

9. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I saw a C6 in person last night at the LA show. From head on it has a very similar look to the 575. The headlight cluster seems to imitate the 575 in shape and number of bulbs. From the side it looks like an improved C5. Overall, it looks very good. I think this car will do very well especially at the price and with the base model at 400HP. I also liked the interior. The only thing I didn't like was the steering wheel - yuck. Overall tho - a thumbs up.

10. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    You hit the nail on the head. I was thinking all those things yesterday, after I watched that T.V. show. It is a nice car and at 1/3 the price of a F360 Modena and without the huge waiting list they are going to sell like hot-cakes!

And I loved the interior, except for that fugly steering wheel. What's up with that? You'd think they'd go to a 3 spoke design or at least a nice 4 spoke steering wheel. The rest of the interior is much improved over the C5.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Even my wife, a non-car person, notice it looked "kind of like a Maranello."

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ferrari doesnt have to worry about c6 but porsche had better! this thing cost same as boxster, can run with a tt, and looks much more special than a stock 996 coupe. just wait till the convertible version that will look absolutely perfect, imho

13. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I think a lot car manufactures better be concerned with new C-6 and future Z0-6 600 HP for $100,000. Bob Lutz is a fighter.