575 exhaust choices | FerrariChat

575 exhaust choices

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 410SA, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    OK. It's official. The 575 is now my daily driver of choice (if I don't have deal with car pool for school). But I have to address the major flaw. It's waaaay to quiet!

I have done all of the Fchat research via the archives and bent the ears of dozens of retailers. No-one seems to have a firm opinion out there.

What is the best choice (money not a consideration here) to get the best sounding and easiest to live with system - Tubi, Fuchs, Capristo? All I know is I would jump at the Capristo based on looks alone.

Real world experiences please......

2. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
  3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Heiko, I'm also interested in your response. I've got the tubi, and have been mulling over the suggestions I've received here (Dr W suggested tubi + stebro), but just haven't gotten around to doing anything yet. Agree the car is way too quiet, & the tubi really doesn't help IMO.

Also need to change those Fiorano pads, have been quoted $1600 to do it.

4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I personally feel that a Tubi makes the sound way too intrusive. If you stand behind a Maranello with a Tubi, you can feel the ground shake! A little too much for the character of the car.

For '04, Ferrari has added a true dual exhaust. The car now sounds the way it should, definitely different from the '03s and '02s. If it can be retrofitted to earlier models, I would say that is your answer!

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    this is interesting. do you have pointers to any additional data on this? pictures?

thanks,
    doody.

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    All I can say is that I started an '04 up, and immediately heard a very pleasant difference. I inquired as to why it sounded different, and was told about the dual exhaust.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    At the Ferrari days 2003 in France , Ferrari France was there showing the whole range and they had a silver 575 Maranello that sounded amazing..

Nothing compared to the boring sound of a stock car..

When it was entering the pit, you could hear it "farting" like an old V12...It was amazing !

I have it on video i think...if i find my DVD again i can try to upload the small video..

As it was a Ferrari France car , i guess the car was stock..maybe not 2003 stock..though ?

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ok i found it...i ll try to upload it to an imagestation page..Its 4.0mb.

9. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    ..cant upload .mov to imagestations...

anyone has suggestions ?

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I drove a 575 a couple of weeks ago and thought the stock exhaust sounded great. Do you not like it ?

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    frank - pretty much nobody has thought the stock maranello exhausts sounded interesting - until they perhaps substantially changed it with MY 2004. that's what we're trying to figure out.

the stock exhaust on the 550s is very quiet and subtle and has very little note nor style to it. it doesn't sound materially different than an acura exhaust :), though once you rev the engine the ENGINE makes some damn nice music, but the exhaust was ultra-boring.

this appears to be true for the first MYs of 575 as well (ie: no changes).

but maybe they finally got a clue with MY 2004.....

i doubt it's retrofittable, but who knows....

doody.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    maranelloman/dave has a cargraphic exhaust on his 550. it is a different sound than the tubi. tubi's sound incredible on the 8's, but a bit too much on the 12's IMO. I would guess that the 575's exhaust is similar to the 550, might want to look it up. also, according to dave, it was cake to install.

13. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    alexpapas,

I have the Capristo exhaust coming for my 550 from Heiko. Should be installed around the end of the month. I will post my impressions then...

Later.

14. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd love to hear some opinions on the different exhaust options available for the 550/575. ( I currently have the Tubi on my 550. ) I'm particularly interested in hearing about the Capristo exhaust.

Regards,
    Chris

15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have never heard of a Capristo exhaust. Do they advertise anywhere? Where can one get some information on these exhausts? I tried to find a website, but was unsuccessful.

16. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
  17. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Bear in mind that 550/575 Tubi mufflers changed early 2002 to get rid of the annoying idle resonnance.
    A good thing about Tubis is that, at least here, they are more or less endorsed by the dealer network, with the resulting benefits in terms of warranty validity or even post-warranty goodwill (yes, this happens).
    I am about to order straight-pipe exhausts.

Would recommend checking out this other thread too http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2109&page=4&pp=20&highlight=de-neutered

18. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Also, a less-known fact is that Tubi have always had a "tube-only" muffler for the 550. This is a unit that sounds much more "racy" but different and a little louder than a regular Tubi for those who want this type of sound. I can check if there is an application for the 575. (it is also a lot less expensive than a regular Tubi).

19. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Louder than a regular Tubi ?
    At low or high revs ?
    Don't wanna be stopped by cops every other day ...

20. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts