The First F40 in Toronto ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The First F40 in Toronto ?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by hps, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    From one of the pictures, it seems that he had a 288GTO in his showroom as well. I was under the impression that there weren't any 288GTOs in Canada. Anyone know? Thanks.

Joe

BTW - I was also under the apparently mistaken impression that there was only one F40 in Canada (in Calgary). Good to see that there are a few.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hey Joe....(just thought of Hendrix right there :) ) Yes that is a 288GTO. There is also another one were I know the location. The car in the pic burned up on Highway 407 after a mechanic did some service work to it. Appaerntly a fuel line was left loose and caught the engine on fire and up she went. FNA was noe to happy about it and apparently Remo almost lost the Franchise because of the screw up.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Guys.

If I ever see a 288GTO rolling down the road, I will soil myself. Almost 20 years old and still a work of art.

P.S.
    That mechanic is lucky that he didn't end up "swimming with the fishes"! He must've been close to suicidal with guilt!

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    WOW!! I didn't think it was a mechnic, i thought someone went out on the test drive. Where did you get the quote from FNA wasn't to happy about it? I remeber the car because I was driving on the way home and saw it covered that day and listening to the radio. When I saw it, i thought it was a 308...but in the papers they mentioned they would restore it becuase it was so valuable, and i thought why restore a 308, its not that valuable...then I remember when I saw a pic of the 288, it was a 288 that caught fire. So it was a mechanic? How do you FNA was upset?

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yeah I heard that ..

And he owns a Enzo right now.(Thats what everyone is telling me)

As for the F40 ...I think there's like 4 in Canada.
    I know there's someone in Montreal who's very rich and that owns a F40 and so a F50 and a Enzo.

7. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Joe V,
    Have you ever seen a 288 GTO? (auto show?)

I remember when I was very young, I saw a 288 GTO at a auto show but since then , I'v never seen one.

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    The F40 pictured in this thread looks like a prototype, because of the mirrors, rear vent louvres, lexan windows, etc. Interesting that the lower body doesn't wrap the exhaust end completely. This is something I've seen in no other F40 (proto or production)

Check this recent thread on F40 prototypes:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5011

9. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Unfortunately John, I have never seen a real one (how sad!) - I have fallen in love with a car based on pictures and specs alone.

This is why I envy the Crystal Cove boys (and others like them) so much.

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Don't worry, I'm sure you will see a 288 GTO!! Maybe not tomorrow but one day you will .
    You never know what will happen...sometimes you get lucky and you see something very special at the right time at the right place.

Just talking about this..
    Me too I want to see a 288 GTO ...and an F40 too. ( Longgg time I didn't see those 2 cars)

Enzo = saw one last year
    F50= saw one 2 years ago

11. mikesmith528

mikesmith528 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 6, 2005
    winnipeg
    Full Name:
    mike
    i kno that there are 3 f40s in montreal, and 1 in winnipeg...im from toronto but im not sure bout that

12. enecks

enecks Karting

May 28, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dumb question here, but I notice this car has the 5 hind-wheel ducts and quite a few more than normal louvres in the rear engine glass. Is this one of those special 'prototype' cars?

13. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    Are you sure there is one in Winnipeg?????
    I have never seen one. Never heard of anyone i know that has seen one.
    There is a local car forum (winnipegheights.com). On there someone claims that one of his dads friends had on in 87 or 88. But he was only 10 or 11 at the time and really didnt have any concept of what the car was. He doesnt have any proof. I found this out a few days ago and just didnt believe him.
    If you have proof, can you please post pics.

I know that there was one in Calgary a few years ago. I was talking to the president of the Lamborghini Club of Canada, and he sent me pics of it. He had gone for a ride with the owner and they hit a deer. the front end was destroyed. I have no idea what the fate of that car was.

14. NaPsTeR

NaPsTeR Karting

Jun 15, 2005
    i do not see what is so special about this f50 its ugly

15. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    It's an f40

16. Retro11s

Retro11s Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    I live in Winnipeg and attend all of the car shows and have never seen a F40. I know there is a 355 as I saw that Sunday night at the regular Pony Corrall show. They brought in the Viper Club of America and had about 10 Vipers on display (very cool red and black RT/10 from Wisconsin), but the 355 stole the show. It was red with tan interior. Not sure what year, but it was a regular manual shift, not a paddle shift.

I too would also like to see pictures of the F40 from Winnipeg. I have pictures at home from a few years ago when I went to Toronto and visited Ferrari of Ontario. That was the only time I have ever seen an F40

17. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The car is fine and still here.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hi hps: nice pictures of the prototype F40. Canada did not receive any F40 until 1991 MY. This F40 was built much earlier and then restored with some interesting USA market type features; considering it was a 'non-conforming' model. The car was at the mall in 1995. Someone from FNA had an "interest" in that F40.
    horse fan

19. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    hey guys,

indeed that is definately the prototype...the interior door panels and five vertical vents at the rear give it away.

_rP