AM DB9... Gorgeous | FerrariChat

AM DB9... Gorgeous

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lotustt, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #1 lotustt, Jan 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
  3. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #3 lotustt, Jan 6, 2004
  4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #4 lotustt, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice! This car will have to hurt the Vanquish sales. Very similar in all areas except price.

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #6 Sfumato, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #7 Sfumato, Jan 6, 2004
    Fisker designed both, or at least refined them. Z8 is such a nice car, great engine/drivetrain. Undervalued in used market, sadly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Oooh Ooooh OOOOH! okay, I'm done!

Sfumato, where in the TX hill country are you located?

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Aston Martins are nice. But don't you think that they're looking pretty much the same (front-engine, 2+2, same nose design, etc.)? How about a mid-engine supercar?

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That would be nice... If Chrysler can suppose a super car, certainly Aston Martin could muster enough hootzpah to release something a little more aggressive... Not everyone is besides themselves over luxury...

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Do we need another "supercar" in this world? The convertable AM is gorgeous as well. Maybe in AM's future a more sporting version or mid engine will come about. In the meantime I really like the looks of this and the Vanquish and really like that grille.

12. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Agree. The Z8 is a glorious car, and often underestimated due, IMO, to its "unusual" instrument cluster location...

13. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    If you ever get a chance, check out the door-opening mechanism on the DB9. The door moves diagnoally ie. it arcs up as it travels out, yet it can stay put in any position. Very interesting, from an engineering (and curb-clearing) point of view.

Fisker is building upon success after success, from BMW to Aston.

Bangle, on the other hand...I read a recent interview in AutoWeek, and the guy seems to be completely unrepentant. I don't know if it's a defensive strategy or simply being deaf, blind, and dumb at the same time--but whatever it is, it should result in a public flogging.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If you ever get a chance, check out the rear seats. *Chuckles*

15. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I asked someone "in the know" at Aston, and he agreed the rear seats were mere euphemisms, or "intended for legless people." He said they are there because the designers prefer to have something to break up the surface and they are easy to work with, as opposed to a bench or flat shelf.

I am not sure if I buy the explanation, but the source (ex-Newport-Pagnell, now at Gaydon facility) was very credible.

16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I know, but I was hoping there would be enough room for my 2.5yo and her brother on the way. The curve of the seats in the DB9 may preclude child seats. Anyone have any ideas?
    BTW, I'm south of Austin.
    Mebbe a rumble seat in the Z8?

17. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm not to keen on any astons after the db7, the vanqish has an ugly rear end imo

18. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It doesn't look to bad. Typical aston styling nothing groundbreaking.I like the coupe more than the convert though.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I thoroughly enjoy the exterior view of the DB9. However, it's function follows form - which is a cop-out.
    If you're going to make a 4-seater, make a 4-seater. Don't build a pretty car, then put useless seats in. Put useful seats in, then build a pretty car. Form will follow function - everybody's happy. Otherwise, just make 2-seaters.

Sincerely,

Long-time, but disappointed fan of Aston Martin

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Wax,
    if you think of it as a four-seater, it is compromised. If, however, you look at it as a two-seater GT with leather-clad surfaces in the rear in the best Conolly-bound tradition, then form is indeed following function. Beautifully.
    :)

21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I can't get by the huge front overhang of the Bentley, and the weight...Pretty, but DAMN, my wife's & doesn't weigh that much. Fast yes, but Cabrio Bentley is a couple years off (clinic-ed on left coast last winter). Aston has more in back than Z8, more car than 645 (bleah), and what else is there? No 612 Cabrio, XKR is hoary, MB has no real 2+2 converts with style, and 911 has even less room, no V12.
    Wax, have you seen the Volante? I have friend at NAIAS, but he is so busy, I can't get scoop on rear room in Cabrio.
    LMK
    Lee+3

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a deposit on the Bentley Cab but like you said it will be a while. Is the top on the Volante a soft top or hard top? From the pics it is a nice looking car. For me, no question over the z8. The BMW never did it for me.

23. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Me too(deposit)

Soft top, hard boot.

Really need to drive one, looks nice, but is blast to drive, like sophisticated, well-balanced Cobra with nav/phone/bunwarmers. All alloy construction is advanced. I didn't buy one until I drove one, always thought my M5 was same deal, only 60k cheaper. I was smitten after drive. Tossable, actually more fun than my 360 Spider was. Maybe I'll keep it, hell I don't know. Grrrr. I'd like to take the wife and kids out for runs too...

24. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't understand why all new design converts don't use a hardtop convert like the SL. I would have thought Benz would have forced the hand of Bentley and Aston etc. but it seems thats not the case. With the winter weather we get it would be much more appealing to me.

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Mow much $$$ is that puppy going for?