Touch-Up Paint in over my Bone-Head HELP! | FerrariChat

Touch-Up Paint in over my Bone-Head HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Testasterosa, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testasterosa

Testasterosa Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Okay, I'm an idiot with his first 308 QV and after weeks of renovating the garage for the new car, the first day in, the chain on the door opener pops off and hits the hood - ouch! Tiny gouge about a half a pea and some tiny marks following that are barely visible. Great luck, found exactly the right touch up color at Sterns and hit the gouge. Not bad. Went all over the car doing the various stone hits with great results.

Then I thought of my Dremmel drill and the neat little buffing wheel it came with. Added some compound and did some magic with a bit of overspray black from the dividing line stripe.

Decided I was an expert Dremmel compounder and took a whack at the hood gouge to smooth out the rough edge of the touch up.

The edges turned black! S***t! I thought this was a burn effect from the Dremmel. Cursed myself to hell three times over and decided to sleep on it.

Next day, added some more touch up to the edges. Now I got a blob that's dime size. Decided to hand compund the edges. Got the blob almost down to flat and damn, started to see black fading in around the edges again!!

Is the base coat on a Rossa Corso BLACK?

Is there any way to dissolve out the touch up and begin over?

Any other solutions for this beginner who should have been more careful? Yeah, I know, strip the hood and paint it over, or just leave it all alone, right?

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The black you see is actually a ring in the paint, you have burned through the top layer of paint.

BTDT its very easy to do if the paint is thin in some areas, unfortunately the only way to fix it properly is to have the area repainted by a pro.

3. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    I'm not sure if it helps, but on my 348, the paint has been buffed away on a few spots. The color coming through these areas is white.

-John

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    you need a GOOD quality airbrush to fix small areas--you need to sand it smooth as glass with 600 , 1000, and 1500 grit then polish with a light buffing polish. doing the paint work is very tricky to get it perfect and takes a lot of time to perfect---to be quite honest, very few professionals can do it well. Most like to charge a lot and repaint the whole hood because they are afraid to try make a spot match up.

WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!--if the paint contains isocyanide--have someone else do it--I now have lung damage from that stuff because i painted my car using a good respirator but needed a fresh air source. Now i use small diving tanks when I paint anything.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    As to the primer color---if I recall correctly, most of the 60's to 89+- cars used a greman made Yellow primer on black cars and w white on red cars--the color of your primer will effect the color of the paint slightly.

6. Testasterosa

Testasterosa Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Thanks guys for your advice. I've decided to wait on this one until the panic in my heart and the tendency to see that blob standing out all the time is past.

Atlantaman, do you know any good airbrush guys in the NYC area? It would seem to me that the skill and time required to fix this will cost as much as taking the hood off and sending it to an average body guy to repaint. What do you think?

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The way to take care of a touchup blob for paint chips is with something called "Langka". Lots of us Ferrari guys use it. In fact, they're a supporter of the Ferrari Club, and if you'll use this link when visiting their website, they'll make a donation to the club if you end up buying their product.

8. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Mike! Thanks for helping out here. I tried the link to Langka and even typed in their URL www.langka.com and it comes up a dead URL. Are they still in business?

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Try again, the site is working.

Also check this out:

Well you guys peaked my interest in this Langka stuff. I ordered a 4oz
    bottle on Saturday (15% off... via a free join up with the PT cruiser
    club... http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ptbargain.html).

10. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Larry Johnson from Langka sent me an email regarding the black ring effect around my blob (probably the undercoat showing through). He recommended having a spot painter repair the area. He suggested calling a good dealership in my area (is that an oxymoron?) and ask the name of the local "bumper repair person." Anyone know anybody in the NY metro area? I'm going to add a post in the regional chat also.

11. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Ferrari uses a base coat then clear coat application. The paint is Glasurit which is a trademark of BASF. I believe there is a Glasurit website. If you go the airbrush route. you will need the Base coat and matching thinner/catalyst and the clear coat with matching thinner/catalyst Temperature is important.. Purchase a Glasurit dipstick measurer with the paint. It makes it extremely easy to mix it properly. I think the paint is Glasurit type 55? You will need to prep the area by lightly sanding with 400 grit.
    Mix and shoot the base paint. let it flash over so the solvent leave, then shoot the clear coat. you may have to then wet sand with 1000, 1200 grit then buff with multiple courses of compund. This all can be done.
    Get a good book at a bookstore. good luck.

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "Ferrari uses a base coat then clear coat application"
    True, on later model cars, and on metallic colors.
    The early cars used a single stage paint,
    with a yellow spray filler/primer.
    George, it just sounds like you turned too high an rpm with your Dremmel and the paint got too hot.
    Before you go through the expense of painting the hood,
    I would first use a heavy compound and hand rub out the area.
    As far as using an airbrush to feather in the area,
    unless you shoot paint regularly, I would let a pro do the work.
    It is hard enough for a pro to match an area like that with no break points and have it blend without noticing, let along someone who shoots paint every 10 years or so.
    Good Luck!

13. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Hey! Just got the Langka stuff - at the 15% discount through PT site - thanks for that lead - and it works fabulous. Company Pres, wrote me some notes and tips - great results. CAn live with this until I save enough for a spot sprayer. USed Langka all over the car tonight. Just fabulous.

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone. Hope I can one day return some expert advice.

Quasi

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Glad I could help!