F40 Historians? Anybody have details on this car? | FerrariChat

F40 Historians? Anybody have details on this car?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by jimpo1, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    At lunch I went to look at an F40 that the car people in Dallas are calling the "Prototype" F40. It is supposedly the very first F40 made and it is lighter with more hp than a production F40. The car has 156(!)km on it, and I did get the SN of the car, but won't post it here as I don't have permission. The car has hydraulic suspension, and the intake plenums look different than the other F40's I've seen.

Does anybody know anything about this car? I know Audiguy is familiar with it, but does anyone else have info on it? I'll be happy to share the SN by PM if anyone needs it for research.

I'm just curious if I've seen something more special than an 'everyday' F40.

BTW, the same shop had a Saleen S7, what a bad ass car!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Cavallino covered ALL the F40 variants by SN in an issue a while back.

Do you have that? I don't recall Issue #.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The F40 prototype looks different than a euro F40 so it should be easy to spot the differences unless they updated the body ...

I have a sport auto issue where they tested it around Fiorano back in 1987 ...I ll try to dig it tonight or later this week.

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    there is a pic of a "pre production" f40 in a book i have. its got a UK plate tho. i'll try to scan it and post it up

5. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    I've got this picture of a proto F40.

it has a simpler rear window than the production version (smaller louvres)

it has 5 in stead of 4 louvres behind the rear wheels

it wears the PROVA License plate

Joop van der Meer

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    here is the pic from that book:

7. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #7 F1racer, Jan 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The car I saw had the sliding perspex windows. I'm not sure about the 4 vs 5 louvers behind the wheels or the size of the vents on the rear window.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Here's a pic of the car from the "New Lambo of Dallas" thread in the Texas section. Here you can see the 5 slots and the difference in the rear plexi. Must be the same car.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Front quarter pic from same thread...

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    is it me or does the rear spoiler look bigger too?

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Were you able to find the back issue of sport auto (AOUT 1987 issue number 307 ?) featured the presentation of the F40 but Jose Rosinski was not allowed to drive the Ferrari. What do you make of the yellow number sticker in the back side window. At various different times the numbers four, six and eight are the only numbers used. Yellow number "four" is seen in October 1987. Yellow number "six" is seen in May 1988 and again in October 1988.
    ch

13. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

that number tells you the prototype number. If you saw different numbers, they are different cars

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I´ve seen the yellow number six in a french magazine. The louvres in the rearwindow give away that it is a prototype. It´s actually the model where the 1:18 Bburago is based upon.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wonder why numbers one, two, three, five and seven have never been noted? It seems more likely that this was a way to keep track of cars that journalists and customers got to drive.
    In one of the articles describing the production line of the F40 they show a picture of two rear clips in the prototype 5 vent style stacked next to two front clips. This was long after the prototype models were built. Does anyone know if the finished F40 used for the Pininfarina wind tunnel work was 73015 or just a styling model? It seems to look like a real car...
    ch

16. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the number prototype thing is according to Keith Bluemel.

Keith Bluemel's "The Complete Ferrari" has pictures of a red F40 with the #11 on it and in the captions is refured to multiple times as "factory prototype number 11"

It also states that a red F40 with the plate "E274 BGT" (UK) is a 1988 pre-production prototype. This car has no number on it.

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

OK, thanks for the the details. Back to the stacks...
    ch

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A friend was also curious about the yellow number in the side window of the F40. Some time ago Ferrari Spa confirmed to him that it meant the prototype number. Chris is correct! Thank you.
    ch

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

No problem. Just helping out.

20. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I had to pull my old Ferrari posters out of a closet last week, following a water leak that drenched the carpet where they were stored. They all survived the encounter fortunately. It just so happened that while they were still outside, some of the local Ferraristi came to my house for dinner. While I was cooking the steaks, we looked through the posters and discovered that the F40 Pirelli poster I have, actually has a picture of one of the prototype F40's in it, not the production F40. The difference was the 5 vertical slots behind the rear wheels in the poster car, vs the 4 slots in the production car. I have a prototype poster! :D

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Ferrari 8 panel factory issued poster also features the prototype with 5 vents in the rear fender. There is a drawing there of the engine and one item differs from even the prototype engines produced. The drawing shows the FERRARI name cast across the back of the air injectors rather than the normal position on top at the rear. Any idea when they stopped painting the inside of the driver and passenger doors red?
    ch

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Snoopes are pretty warm on this.... There will be more in the Rossa Section the end of the month or so.

23. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #23 writerguy, Aug 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    ROSSA Section? Why not SILVER?

25. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I will let Rob make the call just would like it to be a thing for the subscribed