brake caliper photos | FerrariChat

brake caliper photos

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lou staller, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Well, this is my first attempt to post some photos of my 308 project. I have many other photos but am starting with this just to see if I understand how to include photos. If there isn't one below, can someone send me some help!?

2. cz-7a

cz-7a Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    All I can say is its a beutiful thing! What products did you use? Very nice job. Well done................

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    you go LOU!!!!!!! i live for this stufff! ( ok maybe i need help.... hmmmmm) cars ARE a disease right?

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    very nice!!
    Would also like to hear if paint or powder and what brand.
    great job - look forward to seeing them posted!
    best
    rt

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Looking good Lou!

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Lou,

Looks Great!! You are the man!

I have a question re: the spring holding in the pad- did you get new springs, or just restore the old ones. If new, what was your source?

Thanks,
    Dom

7. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Dom, nice chatting with you on the phone BTW. My latest news is that DMV gave me a 30 day extension tag to get me to around the time of my regular registration (April) timeframe at which time I will be exempt! I love the new law! :)

8. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Very nice job you've done there Lou,keep up the good work and most important the pictures we all like to see,
    Dale.

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow Lou, great Job!!!! I can't wait to see this baby together. Let me know when you get the shell back - I want to come over and see all the parts before this gets put back together. :)

Outstanding, this car is going to look incredible.....

10. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Lou,

Beautiful job. Let me know when you need a hand with something down there. You do a first class job.

Henry

11. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Thanks everyone for the kind words on the calipers. When I'm in the garage spending way too much time on a simple thing like brake calipers, I'll think about your comments and remember why I spend the time on detail as I do.
    I was going to have them powder coated but when I looked at the cost, I first tried paint to see if I would be happy with the results. Now that I finished the 2 front calipers I'm pretty happy with the results, so as soon as it warms up a bit I'll paint the rear calipers. I've already rebuilt them so all I need to do is paint them and put them away until I get to the point of putting them back on the car.
    I bought the paint at all places... Pep Boys! I first media blasted the caliper halves, flushed them clean, blew the crap out of them wiped them clean with lacquer thinner, replaced all the seals then reassembled them then put about 3 to 4 light coats of paint on them. Let then dried over night and replaced the bolts and nuts with the factory ones and finally torqued them to 16 lbs and put them away. Easy and fun project.
    Have'n fun!
    Dom, The pad retainer clips are the old ones just replated with a clear zinc plating. I did notice the same clips in the International Auto Parts catalog and called them to check the size but they wouldn't do it. I am looking for 1 rear clip as it broke at the plater and I only got 1/2 of one back. I'm going to check with a Porsche shop by my office tomorrow if them have any. If I find a source I'll let you know.

12. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Lou:
    The calipers look Greeeeeeeeat!!
    Did you test any of that paint with brake fluid??

Keep up the good work.

Mark :)

13. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Looks great! Will match your A-arms beautifully.

That caliper looks almost identical to the ones on my 914 that I used to have! The pins and clips look like they would be directly interchangeable.

14. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Right. These calipers--of ATE make--appear to be very, very similar to certain Porsche ones of the same era (i.e., 914). However, common feeling is that they're not directly interchangeable with those calipers due to subtle differences in the caliper... If I had to guess, I would think that the retaining clips could be the same.

15. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The good old brake fluid test!
    I shot some clearcoat over mine which should protect from such nasty things as brake fluid.... And as Lou said,
    We'll See!

17. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    (I shot some clearcoat over mine which should protect from such nasty things as brake fluid.)

What type and brand clear coat did you use? High Temp?

18. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Lou, the paint I used was Dupli-Color red #DH1608
    which is a high heat ceramic, good to 1200 degrees.
    The clear coat was Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating #HWP103.

19. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Dave, Your parts look awesome! We are two sick puppies! LOL

20. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Looking good...I like the red on the calipers!

21. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Dom,

I took the rear pad clip to a local Porsche repair shop and rummaged through his box of used brake parts and found the clip I needed, plus 2 seal retaining rings that were missing on the front calipers. All I have to do is clean them up and put them on. He thought the clip was from a 911 S as it was wide for a vented rotor. I don't know crap about Porsches so I agreed with him asked him how much. After he thought for a few seconds he said " Give me a dollar"! Holy crap, these parts will be the cheapest parts I buy for my car. I left there feeling like I really scored! Unfortunatly, he's not willing to order any new ones. So, try some shops in your area and if can't find any let me know and I'll go and see if he has any more used ones he'll sell.

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    $1!!!!!!

LOL, I'm sure they are $200 from anywhere with Ferrari in the name. hehe