maser to VW? | FerrariChat

maser to VW?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Ive heard this rumor a bit now..but why would they? isnt maser doing well for ferrari? what would be the point? I don't imagine other than common componentry that ferrari would go through with this...would they?

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    These kinds of rumors fly around pretty regularly now that audi and maser are doing some technology sharing. To put it bluntly, maser is NOT doing as well as Ferrari hoped, and is still unprofitable. Getting back to black is still a couple years away at the earliest I think. I love both the coupe/spyder and the new QP, but overall sales are lagging expectations. The upside is that the QP has at least garnered good initial interest and might be the spark that helps Maser get a good footing in the US.

Given its ongoing turnaround, buying Maser would require a lot of investment for the acquirer. In addition, Ferrari has thrown a lot of cash at Maser and may not be willing to sell very cheaply. Then again, Ferrari may want to cut its losses and dump. I am not sure how willing/able VW is to do this since they themselves are not really healthy. Personally, I think it would be interesting if it happened...

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    How about Toyota buying them? They could use the loss after having a net profit of over 10.2 Billion $$$$$ in 2003.

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    i want toyota to buy lotus as their sport brand!

5. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Yep VW could add their quality engineering. I was just thinking that this morning while driving my 30+ year old Maserati to work. There pulled over on the tollway was a dead Boxter S with a fellow out of the car screaming and pointing at the car with the Porsche dealer on his cell (or so I would guess ;).

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Last time I looked VW hadn't yet bought P.

7. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I beleive VW/Audi wants to share the chassis design of the new Maserati Sedan or at least thats what the press is reporting to date.

I also believe distribution thoughout the VW or Audi network in the United States could spark sales big time. .....A lot of would be buyers in the maserati segment might have concerns about them packing up and leaving the US market again. Having Maseratis being sold though a wider dealer network might allay many would be buyers concerns..

I have also heard rumor that VW/Audi finance arm could be of benefit to the Maserati sales effort as well.

I believe the brand has a ton of market expansion capability if handled correctly...People need to NOT be afraid of the reliability as an everyday driver.

Exotics today need to be all they were in the past but also include exceptional reliability. The high bars been raised and I believe maserati will answer the call even if it requires the assistance of VW/Audi

JMO

JB