I don't like the TT with a TIP | FerrariChat

I don't like the TT with a TIP

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As some of you know, a yellow 2002 twin turbo showed up in my driveway after the E55 ran off with a 308. The car looks great. In fact, it gets more looks than the Shark, which as we all know is nuthin more than a Mexican Camero.

The TT also has a TIP to make she who is charge of everything happy. And, for 99% of driving around, the combo works great. All you gotta do is press on the right pedal until fear makes you push on the left pedal.

HW, last weekend, I did some, uh, frisky driving (note: no animals were harmed) in the Yellow Zonker, and I gotta say that it probably takes a better driver than me to make the turbo work with the TIP. Granted the turbo lag is very short and linear. But the darn TIP is s-l-o-w. Thus, I started anticipating the TIP shift points by clicking early. That is, if you hit it at 6,500 rpm, it will upshift at 7,000.

But mixing the two gets weird results. I would sometimes be upshifting right as the turbo was really getting rocking. It got to the point where I decided that it works best in full auto. Only problem here is that the auto is real slow on the down shifts.

Was it just me? Has anybody else figured out how to mix and match a TIP with a turbo?

Dr "Perplexed" Tax

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    tiptronic? you have a 996TT with tip? what sort of drugs are you taking, dude?

buy "she who must be obeyed" a nice boxster and get a real tranny.

the tip is ****. there's no way to make it not suck. the latest benz amg trannies are much better than pag's tip, and they still suck doggie doo doo.

real men don't drive automatics ;).

does anyone else here a whipping noise? :)

doody.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Clue up a little Greg Allman...

Sometimes I feel like I've been TIED to the whipping post.

Good Lord, I feel like I'm dying....

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    can't be as bad as the SLK tip I drove. You'd hit the upshift and two seconds later...

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Have you looked around and seen if there's any type of software update for the Tiptronic to speed up the shifting? I've heard of updates on other systems so who knows. Maybe there's an aftermarket clutch/flywheel you could install into the system?

Ry "Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Tiptronic" Alex

6. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The SLR has only got automatics !!!

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Is she blonde and have a hard time with the stick or just got you wrapped around her ring-finger?

I feel for you Dr. My wife told me that if I brought another stick home she would be leaving. I told her I would miss her, but...........Kidding, only kidding---no flames please!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know of anything that will help the P-car Tip work better. We have basically the same thing in the Audis and I hate the delay. However, the new twin-clutch Audi TT may be what things will be coming to. Shifts in 4/100's of a second and does it now. Only thing wrong is since they are using twin clutches they have to be smaller and at this point will only handle the new 3.2 liter V6 that puts out 250 hp. Needs to be able to handle the 4.2 liter, 340hp V8 in the S4. Then it would be right.........

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
  9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

LOL, no we have been married for 26 years. I haven't learned much, but I have learned when to fold em when necessary.

What has been your experience with a TIP in a non-Turbo Porsche? The only other TIP that I have spent much time with was in a Boxster S. And, once again, running on full auto seemed to work best except for downshifts.

Dr "Doing the left footie dance" Tax

10. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Actually, I believe it works better in the turbo, if you can imagine that. I just do not like the slow response times in the Tip at all. Trying to anticipate the lag times really can mess up your setting up for corners and the like. If you are not going to drive aggressively it might be okay but if you really enjoy getting into moving the car around and playing hard it is definitely not the way to go, and I believe Doody would agree with this..................

Women, can't live with them, can't live without them....What's a man to do??

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    few years ago excellence mag had danny sullivan test various p turbos on road course. the fastest time was 996 with tip and i believe that included a 959 also. his subjective review was also in favor of the tip with turbo.

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is no doubt that TIP in full auto mode with the traction control on will just about out accelerate every thing around. At least for the proverbial 9 out or 10 drivers. It's so easy, just pust that right pedal to the ground and hang on. The twisties are another story. Trying to time the TIP lag with the turbo lag takes a better driver than me.

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #13 AnotherDunneDeal, May 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Left foot braking. Keep the throttle applied with the right foot (must do this judiciously) and use the left foot to modulate the braking, keeping the rpms slightly higher than you normally would to keep the turbo boost up. This should allow you better use of the tip. But if you can't get used to the feel, don't worry about it.......Neither can Rubens Barichello............................
    Image Unavailable, Please Login