stradale lug nut recall - note to brian stradale | FerrariChat

stradale lug nut recall - note to brian stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by 720, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    "And before that thread, there was this thread in the proper forum. Closing this thread... let's keep any discussion there."

why did you close the thread i started on the lug nut recall? what's this crap about "proper forum"? i don't think "ferrari discussion" is an "improper forum" to talk about a ferrari recall.

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

we had already 4 threads about this - Brian has taken on the effort to get this under control and combine the threads as well as getting them into the right forum - this is a tedious task and I appreciate this highly

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Rick, Brian closed your thread for two reasons.

#1) There are already two threads on the same subject matter. Click these two links to go to the previous threads:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16276
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16276

#2) The proper forum he speaks of is "Modern Ferraris" forum. Rob is trying to keep all the dicussion of specific Ferraris in certain areas, so that members with those cars can easily access the information.

Hope that clears up the confusion. :)

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    seems that almost every post in the "ferrari discussion" forum could/should be in some other forum...too many forums to browse through.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

That I can't help you with. You can take that up with Rob. However I have no doubt Brian locked the thread, becuase he doesn't want another thread that already has been posted a few times. :)

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    seems like "busy work" to me. if this chat room gets any more "organized" a lot of people may find it less useful. i've read hundreds/thousands of interesting posts under "ferrari discussion" that i may not have seen had they been posted in the "proper forum" to begin with :)

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If two threads on the same topic are going, that is bad for everybody... its confusing... good bits of info are in one thread, but not the other... people who search, might find one thread with half the info... further, its a waste of time for people who run into the half-answered or unanswered thread and take their valuable time to respond to it, even though their answer was already posted by someone else in the other thread. And then that redundancy costs people even more time when future people with the same question do a search and have to read through three threads with exactly the same info, just posted by different people in different threads.

So, whenever I run into a new thread about exactly the same thing as another thread already full of discussion and answers, I (or another moderator) will either merge the threads OR close one with a link to the other. In this case, since there was no answer yet in your new thread, I closed it with a link so that any further discussion or insight on the topic would be added to the already very robust thread in existence. In that way, I both answer your question (the link to the answer) and prevent proliferation of duplicate threads.

On the topic of Modern vs. General Ferrari, it is absolutely NOT true that all the threads in General Ferrari belong elsewhere. I suggest you walk through the last 3 days of threads and see how many you think belong elsewhere. You'll be surprised to find there's a lot of just "general ferrari" topics to keep this forum quite full.

As for busy work... yes, we are not going to yell at anybody for posting in General rather than the proper forum... rather, we just take on the extra task of moving the messages to the proper forum (leaving a link in general so nobody thinks their thread vanished). Why are we doing this "busy work"? Because as the volume of threads increases, we either must increase the organization a bit to keep it in manageable chunks for people with limited time, or we will start losing valuable contributors that cannot tolerate skimming through hundreds of threads that they aren't interested in just to find the few that they are. And while it does put extra burden on me, the added organization saves me more time than the cost of doing the moderating... so, its even a win for me... let alone those that don't have to bother with the moderating effort.

Hope that explains.