Does the Car Make the Man? | FerrariChat

Does the Car Make the Man?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I was riding through some country roads today with my daughter who just got her driver’s permit.

I saw a run down trailer and next to it sat a late model Mercedes and a fairly nice looking (from 50 feet) Mach 1 Mustang.

Question: Do you think the car one drives reflects the man, or do you think the car reflects the man’s desires?

Does the car one drives have anything to do with the psyche at all?

BTW, I drive a ’89 Toyota truck and a ‘91 Miata….

Could not find this in the archives......

2. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Maybe the guy just has good taste. :D

To answer your question:
    I used to think I could tell a lot about a person by what they drove. But, it seems there are too many people out there who don't give a flying fart what they drive, so throw that one out the window.
    A car is an inanimate object, so it's only going to do so much for you. I think it's possible for a car to make you feel better about yourself, if only superficially.

I think the man makes the car. Be it racing, cruising, social events or whatever, the car just gives you the tools and leaves the rest up to you. Truthfully, everyone chooses car "A" over car "B" for different reasons, so unless you ask it's difficult to tell what the owner expects of the car.

3. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    The car doesn't make the man, his character does.

Though, in many cases, the car makes hot, shallow women go home with the man. Or so I have been told.

-ag

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

No. It would give some insight into the man if two criteria were met.

1. He was a car guy
    2. He could afford any car he desired

Shoes are a much better item to judge if you must use a material object to try and gain insight into a man.

BTW, I love miatas! I had a 90, 91 and 94. Most grins for the buck out of any cars I've ever had.

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Question: Do you think the car one drives reflects the man, or do you think the car reflects the man’s desires?

I feel the car reflects the man's taste. Just like the type of dog he walks or the brand of scotch he drinks.

The bigger question is: Is the man a jerk in the exploitation of his tastes? I rather hang with a guy that drives a beat up Ford station wagon who is a genuine good person than some ***** who has a 355.

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I agree on both points. However, the car only reflects the mans taste if he is a car person. For example, a friend of my fathers drives a mid eighties chevy suburban because it is still functional. He won't trade a car until it dies. I'm sure some people would jump to conclusions about him from what he drives, but he's not a car person. Planes are his passion and what most people don't see is the Learjet in his hanger. Most of the conclusions one would make looking at his car would be dead wrong.

Also, I too would rather hang with the station wagon guy versus some ***** with a nicer car. Again, I think it is because the ***** with the 355 is probably not a car person deep down. I've met lots of "car people" over the years, and they were all nice people. Didn't matter what flavor of mechanized transportation they craved, most had an appreciation for all kinds of vehicles.

Most of the AHoles I've met that owned nice cars couldn't tell you squat about their trophy car except what they paid for it. Not a true car person in my book.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, there are far too many posers with nice cars who have no clue how to drive & no clue about the cars heritage, nor do they care. Its just an accesory to them.

That mostly pertains to new cars though. I think guys who drive & maintain older cars have more character & far more of a clue as to what cars are about, instead of just going out & buying something new & flashy

8. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Ditto. Beautiful & Mean 512s William.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks:) Remember Nick Cage in GONE IN 60 SECONDS when he is talking to the Ferrari dealer & he says"If I drove a 550 Maranello I would just be a poser, If I was driving a 275 GTB4 I would be a true aficionado" :)

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Betcha he ad-libbed. Gone in 60 Secs Script

But still...

OTTO (O.S.)
    I can't concentrate. Play something, my
    sweetness; my reason to rise ...

And Junie hits PLAY on a cassette deck ... And, instantly, ENGINE
    SOUNDS rip from the shop's stereo speakers ... Otto listens, as
    if it were a Mahler symphony...

OTTO (cont'd)
    The Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona. At Le
    Mans. 1971. The quad-cam V12. Hear
    how they got the engine up?
    Hear those exhaust notes? That's a
    very wide rev range... Here, it
    peaks at 5500 RPM...

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Actually I think it is a one way street. A car can make a bad man worse, but not a good man better.