**Would like to replace 1979 308GTB Radio w/Origional** | FerrariChat

**Would like to replace 1979 308GTB Radio w/Origional**

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, May 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hello again "F"-chatters,

Can anyone help me with this one?

I'd like to fill the "hole" in may dash (where a radio used to be), with the origional. I believe it was Blaupunkt, but I appreciate any pics or any advice as to what it actually was. I know, from a tech. standpoint It'll probably suck for sound, but I'd like to go O.E.....Heck, who wants to listen to a radio when you've got that engine/exhaust note to listen to..............

Thank you again,

Chris.

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    !979 308's did not come with a radio from the factory. Only a blanking plate covering the hole for a radio.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The radio in my '75 GT4 is a Blaupunkt CR-4096, which I believe, was the original. When hooked up to a decent set of 5 1/4" 3-way speakers, it sounded okay... On the bench at least... ;)

4. paul 308

paul 308 Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Guildford, Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Deslandes
    There's a firm in the UK that will supply an original looking period radio with modern FM inerds. They may even do them with CD player. If you're interested I'll dig out the details and post them here.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "Heck, who wants to listen to a radio when you've got that engine/exhaust note to listen to"

Me!
    As someone who has driven his Ferraris cross country,
    I can tell you that after a couple hundred miles of Tubi in your ear,
    Some driving music can hit the spot nicely.
    Unfortunately the stock radio in the 308 is a little anemic in the volume department compared to the exhaust note of the car.

While I would never recommend changing out the stock radio from a car you are going to show, I don't show my cars, I drive them.
    So here is what I did...
    I still have the stock 308 radio stashed away nice and safe, along with any other stock parts I have removed to replace with high performance parts.
    I then decided after looking over all of the new car stereos,
    that I did not want a stereo which displayed dancing fish and and the like while I was driving. So I purchased an older high-end McIntosh head unit off ebay.
    Then replaced the stock door speakers with a pair from Polk Audio,
    and installed an Alpine power amp to drive the speakers.
    The sound, while not in the same league as my recording studio,
    is very nice, and gets much louder than the Tubi.

All in all, a great addition for when you are in the mood for tunes on the go.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Mine came with an ... 8-track (what's that ??)

Since I never owned any 8-track tapes when they were in style, I threw it out in favor of an up-right CD player from Alpine.

Not concourse original, but ... I am not showing the car.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Peter,

I think we have the same Blaupunkt AM/FM/Cassette. Something like this?

Barry

9. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  10. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you for the response!, your reply I found interesting, for the hole in the dash was cut crudely, to say the least with a makeshift cover (same material as the dash) cover over it. I'm guessing the Dealer would install the Radio? Do you know what Radio would have been best suited for my 79308GTB?

Thanks , Chris.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is partially true...while the cars did not come with a radio from Ferrari Spa, there appears to be some standardization on radios for the cars delivered in North America. I don't know whether the Blapunkt radios where installed by the importer or by the individual dealers, but I have seen several 1978 308s with the Blapunkt radio with the "gooseneck" controller mounted to the center console, forward of the gear selector. The cassette player was in the normal spot. My 78 308GTS had this set up, and I have seen a bunch of others that had same one, both in period articles/literature, and on the internet...

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Radios in 308s as with other Ferraris of the period were all dealer installed. While the dealer could pick whatever radio it wanted, they did all seem to pick high grade units of the time such as Blaupunkt.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Yes, except the knobs are different on mine (Black ones are smaller).

14. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Please, I'd like to take you up on your offer!

Thank you, Chris.

15. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you for all that replied!!!

I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind send some pics of their 1979 308GBT/GTS radios. My car was built in June of 1979.

I'm tring to get a feel (or mirror), of what the Dealer/Installer may have put in at that particular time-1979. A fellow "F"-chatter was very kind it send me a website link on a Company that sells vintage Blaupunkt radios/cassette players. From what you send will aid me in the selection process.

Thank you very much!

Chris.

16. paul 308

paul 308 Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Guildford, Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Deslandes
    Christopher

Two firms advertise in Classic and Sports Car magazine

www.vintagewireless.co.uk, email [email protected], phone +44 (0) 161 973 0438

also Autoradio Wagner in Germany www.0700carradio.com but I suspect from their ad that they only do originals, rather than conversions to modern performance.

I have no knowledge of either of these firms, just read the ads in the mag.

Hope it helps.

Paul

17. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Heck, I'll sell you the THING I just pulled out of my 78 GTS last night cheap! It was dealer installed for THIRTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS (what does that work out to in 2004 dollars?!!?!!?) I feel bad replacing it with <$300 of equipment now. I can't remember the model it was, but I'll post it tonight.
    Oh, I don't think it works, though... ;) But it does come with a schematic!

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Chris,

The Blaupunkt Heidelberg STEREO CR CASSETTE would be correct for your car. They have a European version on:

http://www.oldautoradio.com/

Barry

19. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    YES!!! This is what was in my 78 308 GTS as well, and what I have seen in many others of the same vintage....I sold mine on Ebay complete for around $300....the guy was restoring a 76(?) 930 turbo.

Dave

21. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There's no need to suffer with poor sound just to keep the car original. Once you decide on what radio is most appropriate, look in Hemmings, there are numerous US-based radio restorers that specialize in replacing the innards with modern receivers while keeping the outside original looking. Thus, you can even buy a cheap dead radio and have it upgraded.
    Tom

22. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    #22 AFire, Jun 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,

take a look at this old GRUNDIG radio/cassette player. It seems to be original and is mounted in an Europian 308 GTB.

Regards,

AFire
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You won't lose points in an FCA Concours if you've upgraded the radio setup as long as it fits in the original dash cut-out without modification.