Q. is the breadvan part of Merritt's collection? | FerrariChat

Q. is the breadvan part of Merritt's collection?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by urraco, May 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #1 urraco, May 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    www.barchetta.cc lists 'Monte Shalett' as the owner, although the last entry is 1992.

Des/NNO/Carbon will know as he has ridden in the car, I suggest you PM him.

Pete

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Last time I spoke with Dick, he didn't have any Ferraris. This was about 6 months ago. Hasn't had any in a while.

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think we would have heard if it had changed hands! Richard Merrit was involved when this car was imported from Italy into USA in 1965, but AFAIK he never owned it.

Best wishes, Kare

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think Richard unloaded his last Ferrari, a Lusso, about 10 years ago .. .

He's a Bizzarini man now.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Pete... :)

You know who actually told me about this thread...? My BOSS! Do i have the coolest job or what...?!? :)

Ok, La Camionette, s/n 2819, The Breadvan... Urraco, i won't go into the whole history 'cause that information is readily available in other places and that's not the question you asked... Monte Shalett is the current owner of 2819, however, his wife's name is Merritt; so let's iron out that confusion right now...

Richard F., better known as Dick Merritt & Gary Wales USED TO own 2819 when they imported the car into the united states, back in 1965-'65; it was then sold to Asa Clark of SoCal... Who sold it to Matt Ettinger who sold it to Brian Classic in Great Britain; the next owner after that, that we have record of is Martin Johnson in England, who sold it to Gordon Tatum in the early 80's... Around 1985, Joe Marchetti had it; then it went to Monte & Merritt Shalett... The car has an extensive owner history but an even more extensive and impressive race history... It's a beautiful car with an unforgettable sound and riding in it is something i think about daily...

As much as i think i know about the car, Gilles knows a lot more about 2819 and other Drogo-bodied Ferraris... :)

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    You guys know a lot more about this than I do, but the article in Sports Car International of September 1989 says that Martin Johnson sold it to Ron Finger, who sold it to Marchetti, who sold it to Monte Shalett. Wrong?

Here's a funky picture of Matt Ettinger with the Breadvan from Autoweek in 1973.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wrong...? Probably not... It's believed that Gordon Tatum was a front for Finger because Tatum didn't have the kind of money needed to buy 2819...

10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    We there more pics of 2819gt in that magazine. Please place em at: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11241

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    How so "2819 and other Drogo-bodied Ferraris"? AFAIK 2819GT has nothing to do with Drogo, even if some design clues are quite similar to 2053GT.

Best wishes, Kare

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Drogo rebodied 2819; it left the factory as a "normal" 250 GT SWB and Drogo was commissioned to rebody the car by Count Volpi; viola! La Camionette...

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Any proof of this? I am under impression that the body was actually built by Neri & Bonacchini, not Drogo (as often claimed) even if the design was most certainly influenced by Drogo's 2053GT.

The original SWB-body went to Sweden on chassis 2439GT.

Best wishes, Kare

lgs likes this.
  14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Kare, can you substantiate this information...? Any written proof...? Books, magazine articles, etc....?

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually that link substantiates that Drogo did make the body, ie:

Pete

17. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Urraco:

The following is a picture from The French Quarter Classic, 2003 (I think) a Ferrari show held in New Orleans, Louisiana that shows the "Breadvan" and I believe at the time of that show it was owned by M. Shalett.

I am sure that the vehicle has been to other shows after this date.

http://www.ferrarifrenchquarterclassic.com/photos/day2/10.jpg

Best wishes

18. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the response of all you guys Thanks! now I've learned more about this fascinating car. Now would you guys help me with 250 GT s/n 3296gt http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18536
    I hope to get get the same kind of response Thanks.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Pete... Just had dinner with my employers; the spirits aren't exactly encouraging me to go poking around in the database... :D

That doesn't look like a picture i took, rather it looks like a picture Richard or Ryan might've taken... Monte Shalett has owned The Breadvan since the late 80's and no one else can or should claim ownership since then... Getting a little off the subject (but i still feel that it's necessary), Monte is one really @#$%ing awesome person and i look forward to seeing and hanging out with him in August and November... He's not just a car for the sake of being a celebritous car guy, he's a real, true, bona fide enthusiast and that ain't no joke!

20. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I can't track my source, but my notes are probably wrong anyhow. Hate when it happens :eek:p

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've been known to be wrong, too... i'm positive 2819 is absolutely a Drogo child, but i'll check anyway, just in case... You can never be too sure; especially with Ferrari... :)

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    To confirm the afore mentioned by quoting from the Bizzarrini book (2001):

quote: "Enzo did not want to have anything to do with Volpi when it became public that he helped some of the "revolutionaries" financially to set up their new company ATS. Ferrari, therefore, refused to deliver 2 GTO's to Volpi. After he found out that the count already had bought one through his friend Conti, all hell broke loose.
    Volpi tried to hit back to the Commendatore and gave Bizzarrini in 1962 the assignment to convert his SWB to an improved GTO at Neri & Bonacchini.
    Count Volpi personally told me Bizzarrini achieved the impossible. Within 14 (!!!) days after delivering his SWB at Neri & Bonacchini, he left the factory with the same car modified to the Breadvan. The aerodynamic theories of Prof.Wunibald Kamm's based coachwork (chopped tail) of the Breadvan came from the Venezuelan Piero Drogo, who owned the famous Carrozzeria Sports Cars on the via Emilia Quest at Modena. The weight of the car was 100 kg. less than the GTO. In races, because of the deficiency of a 5-speed gearbox and the quality of the drivers, it did not perform in a way that was the (intended) threat to the GTO's. However, in training sessions he was faster than the GTO's! unquote

23. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    Speaking of Collectors, this gentleman : Monte Shalett, Does he own some other interesting cars? or does the Breadvan live alone in a garage?

24. TheBreadvan

TheBreadvan Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    #24 TheBreadvan, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    I sold the Breadvan in 2005 at the end of the year to Klaus Werner. That was the most incredible car I have ever been in, much less owned. I was butt ugly due to crashes and bad body work during its historic racing life in England in the seventies and eighties and that's the condition it was in when I bought it. Thanks to the continuous acquisition of historic photos, research and now at least two major restorations, it looks to me as the exact car that was produced in 1962 for Le Mans as modified by the engineers after its Le Mans practices. My compliments to my friend Klaus Werner for the beautiful work done to correct our restoration done by Sport Auto Modena in 1989. We restored it to its closed nose configuration, the original Bizzarini design of the car before the closable opening for additional cooling was cut into the nose. We directed that the closed nose be reproduced but we didn't have enough research and time to make it correct before the GTO tour of 1989. Plus we couldn't visit Gianni Dienna's works in Italy to actually view and supervise the restoration. It is impossible to understand a complex form like a Ferrari body unless you are able to see it in 3D! I understand that another update of Rebel Rebel, the book written about the Breadvan is due for a second edition.

ivo73, amenasce, readplays and 2 others like this.
  25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    2819 GT chassis number.
    This car started life as a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti. Because it was modified into the Breadvan the area where the chassis number was originally stamped was partially cut off and therefore the number had to be stamped in another area as well.
    In 2013 the car was sold by Werner to the current owner.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Timmmmmmmmmmy and ivo73 like this.