3/4" fuel hose? | FerrariChat

3/4" fuel hose?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm replacing some hoses in the 308 since I have the airbox off for the carb tweak. I'm wondering about those 3/4" "breather" hoses that connect the crankcase to the airbox and the cylinder heads. Since there is exhaust and fuel type stuff in those, I'm thinking that I need to use something that is safe for fuel, but nobody local has any 3/4" fuel line and they don't know where to get it. Anyone have any advice on the type of line to use and where to get it? One guy told me just to use heater hose, but I think that would be a mistake. Thoughts?

Thanks

Birdman

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Someone had put heater hose on my car and, yes, they do puff up and get soft.

However, I've had absolutely no problem getting 3/4" fuel hose. Just call around to parts houses. The last that I bought was made by Gates.

If 'regular' parts houses don't seem to have it, try those catering toward big trucks. Also available is 3/4" hydraulic hose, which is stiffer and overkill.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hmmm. I have called 6 auto parts places and none have it nor know of anyplace that has it. I searched Froogle and saw that marine places seem to carry it. I called my local marine place and they don't have it. I guess I'm going to have to order it from an on-line marine place!

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    BTW, just for grins, look up the price of these hoses on owners.ferrari.com. Little 3" pieces are something like $40!!

I'll be glad to send you some if you have trouble locating it.

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Heck, it's just PCV. No pressure, no vacuum. You could probably go to Home Depot and get something in 3/4" that's clear and would let you see your PCV vapors flow! LOL
    I wouldn't sweat the heater hose too much. Heck, the stuff on my car made it just about impossible to squeeze that PCV tube in between the valve covers! But then again, that's not what I'm planning to use when I replace it.......

6. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Birdman:
    McMaster Carr has this type of hose (Nitrile rubber) --go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for fuel hose. The catalog says they only ship in 3' lengths, but they have shipped in shorter lengths. Their service is excellent and quick.
    They also have heavy duty, large Dia. fuel hose at boat supply places like West Marine etc.
    Good Luck,
    Mark

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks Mark! Funny, I just looked it up on McMaster Carr about an hour ago and saw they had it. They have everything!! The only thing I hate about them is the prices are high and the shipping costs are a mystery until you place the order. On the other hand, they have it. I think they are the best bet, thanks.

Birdman

8. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I am surprised you find their price high. They seem pretty reasonable to me.
    There are no surprises about the shipping. Usually 7-8 bucks sometimes a bit more depending on what you buy. If you order now, you may get it tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    What I mean about their shipping is that they do not quote it in your order. You don't find out what you paid for shipping until you get the order in the mail. The first couple times this is unnerving until you realize that their shipping is reasonable. I'm just surprised that with such a complicated and thorough website, they can't quote shipping costs when you place the order.

Birdman

10. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    You do have a point.
    I guess that the merchandise can come from a variety of warehouses as well as the manufacture. That may make it impractical to quote on their site. Just a guess, however.