Maser Coupe as a Daily driver | FerrariChat

Maser Coupe as a Daily driver

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Pat S, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pat S

Pat S Rookie

Apr 25, 2004
    Aurora CO
    Are many folks using the masers as daily drivers? My wife and I rented a Spyder in Las Vegas and loved the car. With the deals out there now we are considering looking at getting a 6sp coupe of our own.
    But I have not read much about the maintenance costs or the "daily driver" durability. So I guess my three big questions are:
    1. How expensive is the major maintence and what is required. Are they as costly as Ferraris to maintain or somewhat less? Does anyone do any maint themselves?
    2. How long can the engines last before needing full rebuild? less than a 100K or more? Does anyone have over 100k on them yet?
    3. Is it reliable enough to use as a primary daily driver?

Thanks,
    Pat

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    My law partner has had a Coupe Cambiocorsa for almost 2 years - he does not drive a lot, but it is his primary vehicle and he has had no problems at all. Given that there is no required cam belt change (chain driven cams), and there is a significant warranty, I would not hesitate to daily drive the Maserati

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have an 04 Spyder GT that I use as a daily seasonal driver here in New England (April-Dec) Picked up car April 1st during a record setting 7 inch of rain day and was amazed on my highway drive home that the car did so incredibly well in the horrible conditions. Have driven to work many mornings with below freezing temps and engine ran great. Big reason I went with Maserati over Ferrari was did not want those big maintenance bills. While under my 4 year warranty should only cost 350-400 a year for Maserati dealer to perform oil changes and that should be the only thing needed. The Maserati will never have maintenance costs of a Ferrari. Engine in the Maserati basically the same as any other V8 out there.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The Mas coupe comes up from time to time here; if you search the archives, you'll find several threads addressing questions similar to yours.

We use our '02 regularly, though we do not depend on it for a workday commute. Other than a few recalls, the car has been great, we love it. Used coupes have been a great bargain IMO. I believe another member, Napolis, uses his as a daily driver, in all weather, and has been very satisfied.

Keep in mind that a new coupe is coming soon - 2006? I'm not sure when, but it's worth a check.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    will the new coupe be more an update? maybe..a 4.4 liter? its pretty perfect right now...390 is plenty of power..and classic styling.

6. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    the new coupe/spyder powerplant will be a 5.0 V8 with 470hp and the spyders design will be more exciting and designed by pininfarina. it will laso have those hardtop folding roofs.

chek info at www.italiaspeed.com

7. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    The new coupe/spyder due in 2005/2006 will be a completely new car based on the QP platform. It will be larger, and so will the engine. The block will be bored out (plus other stuff). Depending on which speculation you hear, will be anywhere between 4.3 and 5.0 L - my bet is it will be closer to the latter. Total horsepower will also be up significantly I think, perhaps in the 450 - 475 range. The car will be larger, closer in size to the outgoing 456. Expect to see the engine behind the front axle and a rearward weight bias (current coupe is a bit nose heavy). Given what I have heard about the QP handling dynamics, and assuming we get near 475 HP with only a modest weight increase, this looks like it will be a good improvement.

There is a thread in this section called "next generation maserati" which has a link to an autocar story complete with spy pics. I think it is pretty accurate since it corroborates the information I was given a month ago.

If you look at the pics, looks like the front will be similar to the QP, and the back looks like it will have more pronounced hips for a sportier look. If anyone has any photoshop skills, a good start would be to simply shorten the QP to coupe size.

Mags are also talking about a facelift due for next year, but I am not sure if they are talking about the Gransport or not.

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

ya read in Evo magazine this week that the "slow selling" coupe/spyder will have a final facelift before the new model comes out and that maserati is working hard to make sre this model comes out just rite

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    While the Spyder has great lines, let's hope they distance themselves a bit more from the Jag XK8.

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

there both gorgeous cars but the biggest complaint from people seems to be that there not distinctive enough, they resemble an aston/jag, i knew they should of kept those boomerang lights

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You look at the spyder, and all you can think is, "that is a... car." A nice car, but you don't have an exciting brand styling to identify with that makes you say, "that is a Ferrari!" or, "that is a Lamborghini!"

Even the Vanquish, DB9 and AMV8 Astons have a beautiful, distinct character now. Maybe they keep Masers tamer to appeal to a wider range, but it's vanilla bean (high end, but still vanilla) looks were a lost opportunity IMO. Then again, the 3200 design is already older and will be replaced soon enough. Should have been last year though... they probably lost some good development time spent on the Kubang :-(.

12. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Hi Pat,

To answer your questions...

1. Major service is not nearly as expensive as Ferraris - the Maserati does not need its engine removed for service, and the Maserati does not require timing belt replacements either.
    2. Standard warranty is 4 years, 50K miles. In general on both Ferraris and Maseratis, problems are more likely with a *lack of mileage* (tires and hoses rot, exhaust rusts, brakes seize, etc) than due to mileage. Drive the car regularly and 100K miles should not be a problem.
    3. Definately. Just be careful where you park it.

I have a 2002 Coupe and love it! I picked it over a Porsche 911 Turbo
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13429

Best,

- Jon

13. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I agree. Nice looking cars, but could be better. Given that the Masers are not selling quite as well as Ferrari hoped, they are hoping a more aggressive look will appeal to more buyers (w/o upstaging the Ferraris). Also, it seems, they are happy with the way Pininfarinna handled the QP, which cannot be confused as anything but a Maserati.

Don't get me wrong folks, I ain't complaining!

14. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

i think the problem was that Maserati came to Na with a facelifted model of the 3200 gt and nobody liked those bloody prelude lites then came out a whole bunch of more affordable competition. if maserati had priced there coupes and spyder at around 65-75k us, they would of done much better.

that being said i think maserati knew they would only sell these 2 models for a short while as a sampler since they have been renewing and improving them every yr, i have never seen an italian auto maker improve a model so often, i would take that as a good sign

15. Pat S

Pat S Rookie

Apr 25, 2004
    Aurora CO
    Outstanding, thanks for all the good info guys!

ricambi_originali (Jon),
    I have a 74 911 as my fun car, but I'm not crazy about the newer 911s. I did however very much like your comparison.

16. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I see. I had the same question but did not really like the car that much to use as a daily. The car looks weird in my opinion.

17. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Agree completely about 911s
    The air-cooled 911s are much more interesting than the new ones!

- Jon

18. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I spotted a beautiful Maserati Spider today and it really was stunning.

The depreciation hits on the maserati seemm somewhat high but thats true with many cars.

Its good to hear so many satisfied maserati owners...

19. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I see huge smiles on the faces of each and every Maserati spyder owner I see driving on the road ...(I mention the spyder owners because its easier to see their faces!)

Stunning car...no matter what color I've seen to date..

REally nice daily driver!

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    You've seen different colors? I have yet to even see another Maserati in my 2 months of ownership. there are a lot of high end cars in my area, The usual array of Porsche's, MB's few Ferrari's and Lambo's but not a one Maserati. In some ways I like that but I do want to see Maserati do well here. Every time I park somewhere I have people come up to me asking about car and I hear from most that they did not know that Maserati was sold here again. Took a 911 driver for a ride and he was extremely impressed with my car, He could not believe that my interior is pretty much what comes with the base car and after my experience pricing a 911 I understood what he meant. Then let him take for drive and after he told me the sound of his 911 was embarrassing to him compared to my V8 with Tubi exhaust. He also stated that he had heard horror stories about Maserati GT's but he felt shifting the GT was right on par with his 911. I think I might have converted him as he said when his lease is up will take a serious look at Maserati. But he better not get Azurra Argentina

22. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I don't know the names of the colors but the beautiful green with tan one I just saw the other day was stunning..

And I'm not a big fan of green either..

Just looked perfect.

I'm sure it has more to do with the car than the paint choice.

Stunning car and I am glad your enjoying yours.

And I am sure the sound of the exhaust is intoxicating!

23. ggeo

ggeo Rookie

May 24, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    George Georgiou
    I've just swapped a BMW for a Verde Goodwood with Beige interior Coupe GT, chose it over a BMW 645i. I drive it through Central London every day, not a problem so far, like driving an eager puppy. It's early days, but it's the most fun I've had in a car, apart from when I was messing about with girls on the back seat in my teens.

Even in London, I've only passed 3 other Maseratis on the road, one of which is a 3200GT. Most people do a double take but there is no animosity, unlike with a Ferrari.