My first drive in a Gallardo {and I compare to 360} | FerrariChat

My first drive in a Gallardo {and I compare to 360}

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by udalmia, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udalmia

udalmia Guest

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but after driving over 500 miles in a 360 spider, i feel that a comparison to the Gallardo is in order..

I test drove a 2004 E-gear Gallardo at Classic Coach in NJ today, Frank was extremely kind and explained all the functions to me..

Impressions:

1. The AWD : The all wheel drive in the Gallardo feels VERY different compared to the ferrari. I would definetely say there was a lot more control but I didn't really feel my heart skip that beat when taking a turn at high speed that I do with the 360 spider

2. The Interior : Extremely functional but IMO ugly. I liked the LCD(VGA?) screen they have in the driver's dash, very nice feature, but the center console i didn't really care for, very audi-ish... and who still uses a tape?

3. Speed : I was lucky enough to get a clear stretch of road (Frank calls it his "private race track") and i managed to get it over a 100, not really sure how fast, the upshifts were extremely smooth and i was shifting at 7500 rpm, the car just has so much power and it just sucks you in, however, from a passenger point of view it wasnt as "frightening" as a 360, I knew i was going fast but the thrill wasnt as much as the 360 imo

Some factors that might make me a bit biased:

1. The 360 I drove is equipped with a Capristo w/test pipes so it sounds a LOT meaner, the Gallardo was stock exhaust
    2. The Gallardo had just 300-400 miles on it, so it hadn't really been broken in
    3. The 360 has modified ECU's giving it 448 HP instead of 400

Overall, i think the Gallardo is a GREAT car, though honestly it pales in comparison to the Murcielago in terms of looks, it just looks "squashed", I would definetely save up more and buy a murcie instead of a Gallardo.

The folks at Classic Coach were great. Frank and his crew are coming up with a new exhaust for the 360 which they say blow the Tubi and the Capristo away. Something for the tri-state crew to check out.

Thanks and sorry if I offend any Gallardo owners, I'm only 20 and just getting into the world of high speed cars :D

2. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    let me get this straight, you're a student and have a 04 360 spider?

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    More shocked by the ECU upgrade than anything else!! 50hp (edit (doh) -12,5% increase) with just a chip? What kind is it? That's pretty insane!
    Sound wise, I have yet to hear a piped Gallardo ... waiting ... anxisouly!
    How was the comfort?

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    You modified your ECU and got a 12% increase in HP?

5. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Not the yellow one, that was going to be mine! Just kidding. I saw that there the other day. Sweet but I'm going to wait for the convertible. Where did you actually drive it , certainly not around downtown Elizabeth, I'm sure.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  7. udalmia

udalmia Guest

to clear some things up

1. I do not own an 04 360 spider, my dad owns one, but out of the 550 miles on it I have put 500 so I have a good idea of how it drives

2. I got the modified ECU from Heiko, also removed the Cats and put in straight pipes, I have not put it on a dyno but Heiko had posted dyno images a while ago and assured me it reaches 448 hp so im taking ur word for it..

The comfort in the Gallardo was very, very good, excellent ride quality

8. udalmia

udalmia Guest

benedict

it was a brand new black gallardo with orange leather inserts and orange stitching..

We just drove around the highways near classic coach, believe me i was EXTREMELY surprised to see them so deserted myself, i think frank has a pretty nice drive area for himself

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    So how did you manage a test drive if you dont have the means to purchase one? Usually test drives are reserved for potential customers. Not trying to insult just asking?

10. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Dayum, where are the pics!?!?

11. udalmia

udalmia Guest

rob,

I sort of setup the whole purchase of the 360 spider for my dad, even selected the car and everything, took it to Frank for the installation of the exhaust pipes ecu etc etc.. and out of 550 miles I have driven 500.. I don't think Frank even "associates" the car with my father :)

So I think by giving me a drive I don't think Frank has done too bad for himself... :D

12. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Ok.You have driven 500 miles in a 360,and how many in a G car?I believe many of your comments are right on,but let me try to understand 2 of your comments.

QUOTE1. The AWD : The all wheel drive in the Gallardo feels VERY different compared to the ferrari. I would definetely say there was a lot more control but I didn't really feel my heart skip that beat when taking a turn at high speed that I do with the 360 spider.QUOTE

Is that supposed to be a negative towards the G car?It sounds that overall,the handling was in control at all times.The fact that your heart didnt skip a beat is irrelavent.You need to go faster,it will skip!!

Quote 3. Speed : I was lucky enough to get a clear stretch of road (Frank calls it his "private race track") and i managed to get it over a 100, not really sure how fast, the upshifts were extremely smooth and i was shifting at 7500 rpm, the car just has so much power and it just sucks you in, however, from a passenger point of view it wasnt as "frightening" as a 360, I knew i was going fast but the thrill wasnt as much as the 360 imo

Not frightening is a good thing.It means the car is in control.I think you need a little more time behind the wheel of the G car,and probably the 360 as well.

13. udalmia

udalmia Guest

definetely 6.0se and I'll take all the time I can get :)

i know that it's too short to form an impression but then i wanted to share my experience

14. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Pics!?! Black and orange on the interior sounds stunning!

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I understand,and get BURNOUT some pics.He's dying to see that combo!!So am I actually.

16. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Burnout, 6.0se

I'll have to ask Frank for some, I dont think I can go to Classic Coach again anytime soon, ill keep u posted