FCA Track Weekend, May 15, 16 | FerrariChat

FCA Track Weekend, May 15, 16

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by pma1010, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Time is approaching (thankfully) for our annual event. Applications are starting to come in quite strongly. See our application in the lastest News Bulletin. You can also download an application from the FCA Central States Website.

Feel free to call me or Patrick -- our nums are on the app with any questions.

Philip

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Please note.
    All participants are welcome to attend a dinner on Friday evening sponsored by LFSC at Clementine's (8pm).

Saturday dinner open to non-participants too but you need to let us know (and pay the dinner fee of $35/head). Location is the Three Pelicans.

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I'm looking forward to it, will be my first time doing this.... SOunds like a great time..

Maybe we can get a caravan of Ferrari's and all head up there together on Friday afternoon??? Maybe we all meet at Continental??? Just a thought....

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I am pretty curious about these "Track Days" that I keep seing. I would really like to do it. But,just how "Hard" is it on the Car? Easy...? I am a pretty good driver,but with very limited "Extra" driving instruction,and have Raced a couple times. I mean,will I kill my Brakes,and Smoke my Tires and Clutch? Is it,basically,just driving Fast around the Track,(a good thing) without the Worry of getting a Ticket...(better still...:) ) I mean,even that sounds good enough to me.

Is it One car on the Track at a time? Or,like Vintage Racing?????

The 'Vette Club that I associated with,did some "Autocrossing". And,the guys that were REALLY into it had Super Duty,Super Tuned Suspensions,Roll Bars,Lighter weight cars,HP Engine & Tranny, BIG Brakes,and Brought some Racing wheels/Tires and put them on the car when it was on the Track.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is multiple cars on the track at a time, they normally divide people into groups with more/less experience and/or more or less powerful cars. Passing is normally only allowed on the s/f line, so it isn't really racing and relatively safe.

You normally don't smoke your tires and clutch. However a track day is usually hard on the brakes, tires, suspension and to some degree the engine. YOU are the rev limiter, so it is up to you how far you want to take it.

Because the car does get some abuse I limit myself to one track event per year and don't go fully pedal to the metal either. Also I have my car checked by my mechanic beforehand. There is usually a tech inspection at these events, but they basically count your wheels and if the number is four you're good to go.

At some events they have instructors and it really is worth getting their input. I was (a frightened) passenger in an American muscle car at the Continental Blackhawk event and my instructor (who was past his younger years) showed me quite a few things. Afterwards we switched into my car and while I was driving he taught me even more. I considered that an invaluable lesson, but few people take advantage of it.

So a track day is a very different way to experience these cars. The days and weeks after the event I was still grinning from ear to ear and thought that I learnt a little bit more about my car and its limits (although I was far from them).

6. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Hopefully I'll be there. It sounds exciting.

Will you have instructors there or is it on your own? Is it head to head racing or are there passing zones?

Anyone ever really lose it?

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    First, some rules. Passing is allowed in designated passing zones and only by a "point by" (explained at the drivers' meeting). At Gingerman we usually have passing between 11 and 1 (the SF straight that Andreas refers to), 2- 3, 5 - 6 and 10 - 11. Other "rules of the road" are available for download in the information packet on the FCA Central States website.

Second, on organization. Participants are grouped by experience and less experienced drivers have an experienced instructor in the car. (The teaching is invaluable in my experience). There are usually more novices/less experienced than any other groups. There is no "racing" and if you pass in the braking zone and/or are seen to be a hazard, we'll ask you (politely but firmly) to leave. There have been few, if any, incidents at our events, although they can happen.

Third, on stressing the car. They do get exercised hard (which I think is good for the vehicle), and reach sustained high temperatures. Main issues to watch: Brake fluid can boil if not of a suitable type (I run Motul, but many types with a high boiling point work well). Make sure the fluid is fresh. Brakes can fade when used (too) aggressively, especially with the stock ATE pads on a 308 - I run Carbotech, but many types of pad run well. In a nutshell, have the car checked out by your usual dealer prior to the event so that any issues can be taken care of in advance.

Fourth, the track is much more forgiving than Blackhawk (or RA) so the chances are if you "cook it" in a corner and put 2 or 4 wheels off the tarmac, you'll likely lose it but not hit anything. The only thing wounded is usually pride.

Fifth, on personal equipment. Novice and intermediate need a helmet and long sleeved pants and shirt. Red group requires Nomex.

Last, it is tremendous fun. We welcome novices and experienced runners alike and the social events are usually great fun too. You'll come away grinning from ear to ear (Andreas did too!) and the sound of the Tubis wailing will stay with you for a fair while. Feel free to call me if you have questions, my number is on the application.
    Philip

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    This is shaping up to be a very good event. News:

First, I am delighted to say that we have a very strong set of instructors this year and we are planning to provide dedicated instructors to all participants who need them. I have found this to be very valuable.

Second, I am also pleased to announce that Burt "BS" Levy, author of The Last Open Road, amongst others, and a nationally qualified instructor and all around entertainer, will be our guest speaker on Saturday evening. Burt is a funny guy, is well versed in Ferrari "lore" and has many stories to tell of his experiences with the marque.

Third, applications are strong and we expect to have a nicely sized group. If you are planning on attending, please get your forms in. 3 run groups work well at Gingerman, and we will turn people away rather than expand to 4 groups.
    Philip

9. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Phillip,

I won't be able to make the track event this year. Really dissapointed, but things did not work out.

I'll see everyone at Oak St.

Richard

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    If you are coming, now is time to **** or get off the pot. Looking like a great event
    Philip

11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    If there is anyone driving up on friday, maybe we can get a caravan going??? I was thinking say about noon on Friday meet at Continental???

Just remember, construction has started on 80/94 heading East. On friday afternoon, rush hour is a nightmare there... Best to get an early start...

Post here if you are interested, if not, i guess we all just meet for dinner friday night in South Haven..... Or see everyone bright and early saturday morning at the track......

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    LFSC is sponsoring a dinner for all track event participants. Starts @ 7.30 or thereabouts @ "Oh my darling..."

It looks like we'll have about 40 cars and we are starting to limit entries in different run groups, so if you've been holding back call me or Martin before submitting your app so as to avoid disappointment. Our nums are on the application.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.
    Philip

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Philip...
    next year!

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    We're full.
    Look forward to seeing everyone at Clementine's on Friday.
    Philip

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    It was GREAT FUN!! I may have the bug now, can't wait for next year!!!

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Tod, tell me what you think about the 328 on-track. I've only done it once, and felt the car was pretty well-balanced, good throttle control. The only tricky part was the long shifter.

17. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Jack,
    It handled great, especially after the tires got heated up, it really gripped good on the turns. I know i could have pushed it more and it would have been fine. I had my Instructor, Patrick, take the car for a few laps and he had us amost on two wheels around the turns, he said it handled very nicely. One thing i have to really get down now is that heel/toe thing with the brake----gas----clutch----shifting thing..... Later in the day on sunday, i started getting tired and missed a few gears, knew it was time to get off the track and rest before the long trip home.... I didn't really notice the long shifting, just trying to not chirp the tires while down shifting and brakeing before the turns... HAH... But it was a great time, i'm already looking forward to next year.....

Tod