ECU upgrade pro's and con's? | FerrariChat

ECU upgrade pro's and con's?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Buttuz4eva, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    can anyone tell me the pro's and con's on upgradeing the ecu system is the gain that noticeable i know that the red line is set at 9.2 but what else is the gain I already have a tubi and testpipes and am looking for more power?

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The con's are simply engine wear and risk.

The pistons in the N-GT 360 are much lighter than a road car...and they are limited to only 9000rpm now, and used to be 8700rpm.

I've seen 3 N-GT engines fail where the small end of the conrod has failed and sent the piston into the head.

The extra heat, noise and vibrations at those extra rpm cause all sorts of knock on effects in terms of stress and fatigue of all components and ancillaries.

You'll always gain far more from weight saving, tyre choice, suspension set up and driver training........

If I did a PPI on a road car with upgraded ECU's, I'd recommend against buying it, or adjusting the price significantly.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I was also interested in an ECU tuning and learned the following:

There are companies which offer a standardized chip with a modified characteristic. Prices here in Germany vary heavily from approx. 200 $ to 2.000 $.

And there are companies which claim that escpecially with an older car the chip program has to be individually adapted to the specific car. They only make upgrades if you bring them the car for a day or so. Prices are in the range from 1.500 $ to 2.000 $.

I am unsure wrt the best solution. So I rather decided to wait a little until I have more knowledge.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you are a driver who regularly laps every other driver with similar and more powerfull cars, then you can use the upgraded ECU. Otherwise, invest this same money in track time and instruction until you achieve the status of the first sentance.

Or to put it another way:

When you can lap within 2 second of the lap record of you car (same tire catgory), then you can start messing with the suspension and engine stuff. Until then, leave the car stock and practice practice practice. Rest and repeat.