FERRARI DRIVERS CODE! A must read. | FerrariChat

FERRARI DRIVERS CODE! A must read.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spasso, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #1 Spasso, May 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    This reminds me of a thread on the Northwest Region FCA site, called "How should a Ferrari Owner Act?" I think it says a lot, and I try to live up to it. Here it is:

How should a Ferrari owner act?

The answer to this FAQ is taken from Joe Martz's "My Personal Code of Conduct as an Owner of an Exotic Automobile." The NWRFCA does not condone breaking the law in any way.

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That was one of the things that attracted me to the NWRFCA (besides living here). Unlike any other club I had been associated with. It's about the marque, ownership, friendship and DRIVING among many others.

We only have ONE meeting a year!

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Okay okay, I admit it, I have purposely scared cows.....................

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I guess the BMW crowd threw Code#2 out the window, while they cut somebody off during a lane change. :D

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Along with Rule number 2, Rule 6 seems to be of the most importance. I cant stress to you all how much your kindness to me surrounding Ferraris has really changed my life. Please go out there and change another lucky persons life as well :)

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Another 4 line items and we would have a complete 12 step program.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #8 Spasso, May 14, 2004
    2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

These girls asked to have their pictures taken last Saturday. How could I resist.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My 308 IS my 12 step program.

10. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Since the rule specifies an exotic, that leaves out BMW owners by definition. (tongue in cheek)

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My hands to big to fit into that. I can't take that vow! Plus where I live there is way to many cows not to honk at them and Moo as loud as possible everytime I see them.

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK

i once accidentally made a tai chi guy fall over. He was in that karate kid position when i came by at full boil in 2nd (around 6500 rpm). i did NOT make a friend that day.

13. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have to bring up that this is a VW advertisment. I think that it at least deserves credit as such. It does apply to Ferrari's and all cars as well, but I think that credit should be given to VW who consistently comes up with ads that are funny as hell.

Craig

14. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I've never seen the VW ad, but, if so, even better! I've been driving the same VW cabriolet as my daily driver since 1987. (Just 3 more years, and she's all mine.)

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Correct! I took this out of my issue of Road and Track and posted it "Tongue in Cheek" knowing that nearly everybody (myself included) has broken every rule of the pledge! Yes, funny as hell!

The 'cow' comment strikes home because I live and drive in a part of the country that are full of them!

DJ

16. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Did anyone else ever see the VW Beetle ad from the 60's with a large picture of a black Beetle and the one-word headline "Lemon"?

The body copy went on to say that their Q/C standards were so high that this one was rejected due to a small flaw on the glovebox or some such.

One of the true classic ads of all time...

17. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    My favourite VW ad was the one where they asked "what are two ways to get a VW to go 140mph?" and dropped a Bug out of a cargo plane, while they showed a Corrado zipping along the desert...

And of course there was the Karmann Ghia commercial, where you see it rip roaring across the salt flats at top speed towards a VW banner, expecting to see it tear through the banner at 90mph... but the paper banner stops the Ghia cold in its tracks... "the Karman Ghia may be the most economical sports car you could ever own, just not the most powerful"

18. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    That is f'ing HILARIOUS!!! LOL at that one! :D :D :D

19. jls288gto

jls288gto Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Kings Mountain, NC
    Full Name:
    Jason SIngalevitch
    Number three on the list is what got me hooked on Ferraris. A guy let me sit in his 288gto when I was 15yrs old. I'm sure he doesn't remember, but I do to this day.
    BTW, new to this site, looking forward to getting into the community! I don't have a Ferrari yet, but always trying and looking...
    Off-topic, I know, but I went to the 360 Challenge races at Road Atlanta this past weekend...just awesome!

20. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #20 JonBrent, May 19, 2004
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This is the one I have problems keeping up with. The car's always in fine mechanical shape, but I just don't have time to give it a detail daily. So, it's often dirty, bug-splattered, etc. Does this make me a "bad Ferrari owner"? Should I drive the car less often, so that fewer people see it but they get a better "special experience"?

In general, I agree with the rules (in summary, "Don't be an obnoxious snob") but that one is too geared to the trailer crowd.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    BAD OWNER, BAD!

Seriously, I drive mine in the rain and on occasion during the winter when there is sand and dirt on the roads. It kicks up and makes my yellow car look like crap but no big, it washes off.

I do try to make it look nice for club drives and of course any shows I might go to.

Concours? Trailer? My car? Not hardly. Just pride of ownership.

DJ