Converting Newton Meters to Ft. lbs? | FerrariChat

Converting Newton Meters to Ft. lbs?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I am in the process of a clutch change on my 85' 308QV and on one of the procedures I have it says 180 Newton Meters. What is the conversion to ft/lbs? How do you convert it? Thanks. I have other #'s that I want to convert too.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Lets see, my college physics book lists the conversion as 1 N = .225 lb and 1 m = 3.28 ft so,

1 N-m = (.225 lb)*(3.28 ft) = .738 ft-lbs

Please note that the unit is ft-lbs (i.e. feet times pounds) not ft/lbs.

Birdman

4. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz

Hi............

Haven't performed the unit conversions myself, but you can use the Google calculator function. Enter "180 newton-meters in pound-feet" into the Google search engine and you will get an answer of 132 pound-feet.

Use of the Birdman's conversion factor or the Tillman's equation will give you the same result. Seems like a lot of torque, unless you are bolting down cylinder heads on a Chrysler Hemi ??!!?

By the way, the units of torque are pound-feet, not foot-pounds, a mistake I have made for many years. Apparently, the units of foot-pounds apply to another physical parameter, but I can't remember which one right now.

Double-check your numbers with the torque tables which relate the size of the bolt, number of threads per inch [centimeter] and the material into which you are torquing the bolt for "ballpark" torque figures.

Good luck !!

Frank...........23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.