Start new job Monday-Told boss today...... | FerrariChat

Start new job Monday-Told boss today......

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #1 AnotherDunneDeal, May 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oday, I told you I was leaving the car business. Well, I told the owner today. He did not receive it very well. He wished me well but said he thought he had invested a lot of money in me over time and thought I should stay. As I said, this is not something I wanted to do but economics forced the issue.

New job,,,,,,,,,,,,now DO NOT laugh, please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Before I got into the automobile business I worked for Safeway Stores for 16 years, the last six in management. Well, I am going back into the grocery business with Tom Thumb (owned by Safeway) here in Texas. They offered me a better position than I left with in 1981. They seem to think that my past management experience in both grocery and high-end (BMW, Audi, and Ferrari/Maserati) automobiles means something to them. I am going into one of their "Flagship" stores in Las Colinas, Texas next door to the Four Seasons Resort where the Byron Nelson Golf Tournament is played. I start next Monday in another store for two weeks reorientation to the grocery business and then on to the Las Colinas store. This will be so different for me. I love cars and the car business. Maybe this will afford me the luxury of stepping back and taking a good look at the auto business from a whole different perspective.

I will still continue to post to F/C as I am a certifiable "car nut" and have been around a lot of neat cars and people over time. Keep in touch "ya'll".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey James, you're going to be right down the road from Rob and me. We can come buy lunch at your store! :D

Congrats on the new direction in your life. I find it a little funny that the owner of your current dealership says he's invested a lot of money in you. You've been in the business HOW long? I think you brought more in than he gave you.

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I can see you two having lunch walking up and down the produce isle and bugging the "Free Sample Ladies"

4. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

congrats james. would never laugh at someone's job. Running a grocery store is the same as running a biz. It is a biz. Run it like you own it and you will suceed.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    You know that is going to be one well run place.... jim Best of luck

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Best of luck Jim. I'll try to stop by there when I can.

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    HAHAHAHA ... this is a hilarious image!!! ROFLMFAO!!

Congrats on the new job, no job is laughable. Bold and great move to take another professional direction at this stage ...

8. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Okay guys, there will be no "grazing" on the produce aisle. I appreciate all the kinds words.

Two weeks orientation training before going to the "Big" store. I am trying to forget all the things I did not like about the grocery business when I got into cars. "Focus on the positives, focus on the positives, focus on the postitives". I am "positive" I will miss the car business.

Jim,

Thanks for the words of support. I was going to work thru Saturday and give them a few days to find someone else but....."I am really disappointed in you. Do you know how much money I have spent in your training alone? Do you realize just how hard it is going to be to find someone to take your place?"

Well, duh, "Do you realize I have exhausted all my savings, my 401K and even my sons college fund to try to stay here to help get this place going? Do you realize you have only paid me $6,000 in 4 1/2 months (before taxes and insurance"? "Do you realize you have been paying me just a fraction above minimum wage? Do you not realize you need to advertise to bring people in thru the front door"? "Do you realize I love the car business and would do almost anything to stay in it, and I have done that here".

Like I said, this is not something I wanted to do but I can no longer afford to work here. And, people always have to eat............................................

9. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Congrats James, don't look back. I'll be glad when I can tell my boss what they can do for me. I went to look at some multi-family property on my lunch hour so that I can get the ball rolling.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Congrats James.......

At least you won't get called to the checkout line when someone wants to make you an offer on their cart of groceries and demands that the cashier take it to the manager.....LOL !!!

11. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Best of luck James :)

12. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

LOL - James... I havent heard that expression in a long time. Back in high school I worked in the local grocery store. My buddies and I were constantly told to stop "grazing". On the hottest summer days we'd hide in the produce cooler and snack frm the salad bar bowls. I swear they shldve weighed me coming and going, and charged accordingly.

Best of luck to you in your new chosen path!

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I wouldn't count that out. I have been negotiating for 24 years now so I suspect the first day in the store a cashier will call me to the front and the customer will look at me and say, "too much, too much, the store down the street is willing to do it for 1% over cost, give me double coupon credit and have a courtesy clerk take it home for me and put it up". I will probably dream of that in my sleep................or have a nightmare about it. Aghhhh, the customer from hell follows me from the dealership to the store... Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Funny, I worked in a local grocery store back in high school too and used to get caught "grazing" regularly. I thought I would never go back to it but I seem to have come full circle. At least now I am going back in "in charge" and not one of the "carryout please, cleanup on aisle 14, and please bring in the carts from the parking lot" guys. I can be the one on the intercom having it done................Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually I will probably be right out helping the poor guys get it done.........Old habits are hard to break......

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim, let me know which day you are coming over on and I will have the "free sample" ladies stock up double on that day..............:>)

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    James, congratulations... If your boss is so pissed about you leaving and so forthcoming about how hard it will be to replace you, then his comments about "how much money he spent to train you" are just filler... Forget that crap and embrace this new chapter in your life... i'm sure you'll excel at whatever you do, be it grocery store management or VHS back-issue video distribution... :D

Good luck my friend and keep us abreast on how things go...

As far as Texas is concerned, we'll need to chat more about that... First, we'll need to establish some dates and yadda yadda... Then we need to make sure Maranellorepublicanpicturepostingjpegwhoremarshmallow Man, Jimpo, Rob, Jim Muise, Randy, Dale and the other Texas regulars are available, 'cause i gotta meet 'em all... :)

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Writerguy just said "When?????????????????" "I'm in...."

Turning in the computer now. Have to do everything else from home...........

Audiguy...Out!!!!!!!!!!

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    James, congratulations!

Sounds like your former boss is bitter because he's going down with the ship. Don't dwell on it.

Best of luck in your new venture!

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey, Dunno - congrats on the switchback! I grew up in/on and around Grocery biz (Mom's Pop had 3 Supermarkets) - As such, I managed, even partly owned (with 2 Uncles) a few Grocery stores of all shapes and sizes over the years until what - 8 years ago. "Politics," "public" and selling booze to alkies (It got to where I'd say - "Name your poison" - with a twist) wore me out. If that's a refresher course on why you left a long time ago... oops, sorry. But, seriously - you know what to do, how to do it, when to do it and why - which should make your budget, days and most important, your peaceful sleep much more pleasant. Now if only upper-Upper Mgmt. and those damn employees...

20. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    wax, nice avatar pic of a young Herman Munster before he started dating Lily...

James, as long as you and family are happy, it'll be worth it...

21. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Well done James,and just remember A Man"s got to do what a Man"s got to do...
    Good luck