Tubi on a 355... comments? | FerrariChat

Tubi on a 355... comments?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robertb, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a '99 F355 GTS, and am looking for a more exciting exhaust sound than stock. After reading many good comments on this site, and much deliberation I have ordered a Tubi silencer (not the full de-cat at this point) to be fitted in a few weeks.

Just for my reassurance that I'm doing the right thing;

Probably a silly question, but will it make a really noticeable difference to the way the car sounds?

Can anyone describe the sound for me, from inside the car and out, in the different rev ranges? I look forward to some descriptive prose!

I've heard soundfiles of a de-catted system, but not of a silencer only.

I'd really appreciate your comments.

Robert.

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    First thing I noticed was a much deeper rumble at low revs once the engine is fully hot. With the engine cold I could not tell the difference.

This then translates into a much noiser experience throughout the rev range, but of course especially when the exhaust valve by-pass kicks in.

At speeds over 100mph, I can't tell the difference (tubi verse no tubi), I guess simply because all the noise is behind you and the speed of sound being what it is, you lose the intensity of the sound wave.

There is definately a more pronounced 'poping and spitting' effect on over-run, forced or at gear change. This translates into lovely sounding (and probably quite scarey for people behind) back fires a gear changes at high revs. The tubi just makes this all a little bit louder.

Overall I would say 30% louder/fuller/thicker across all revs is a good summary figure I would put on it. But not just boyracer louder, but rather louder with a serious purpose...

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Cheers Ade,

Great description and I am very encouraged- I especially like the idea of popping and spitting on the over-run, and the bang at gearchanges.

Can't wait! I hoped it might be fitted this w/e, but it will probably have to wait 'til I come back from hols... pah.

Robert.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

My comment:
    :) :) :) :)

JD

5. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Robert,I am also thinking along the same lines could tell me the cost of this?and is it getting done at Scuderia systems?Also You said it was to be done in 2 weeks was this because you could not take the car right away or did they have to order it in.Thanks in advance.
    Dave Mc

6. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Ade: That was the best description I have ever read because you actually answered the question from the driver's perspective. THANK YOU

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dave,

You have PM

Robert.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Thanks Robert received and replied.
    Dave

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have a 360 but the tubi vs non-tubi difference is comparable. I found the same as Ade that at low revs there is much more of a rumble. Due to some resonances I found this slightly too much. THe Scuderia systems guys fitted a pair of sports cat tubes.

These had the affect of removing some of the low rev "boom" but making the whole sound from the rear of the car much more free flowing and therefore aggressive across the rest of the range.

More to think about for your 355!

10. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ian

I've read other comments about the "Tubi boom" and find it slightly worrying. Was it an unpleasant resonance, or was it just a bit intrusive on longer trips?

I might get it de-catted at some point in the future- I'm doing it in stages so I appreciate each evolution!

Robert.

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Robert

It is more in town driving than on longer UK trips when enjoyment levels dropped; e.g. I was near Burford/Stow; on the main link road the exhaust/car with tubi is fantastic but when we dived into the smaller lanes around Icomb and had to do numerous 3 point turns in people's drives it became somewhat intrusive (I have a spider) for conversation.

For longer trips I was over the moon - except in France when the Gendarmes have got so viscous on the motorways that we did a 3 hour drive to Magny Cours at 75mph. With no variance in speed except for peages the drone was a bit tiresome.

However, this doesn't mean I regret the tubi at all. Indeed the Scuderia boys/Verdi's fitted mine and after a bit, with no prodding from me said it sounded flat. They said they would replace under warranty free of charge - fantastic!

In line with your evolution approach I said that if it was to be replaced I would have the sports cats put in first to kill the drone. Now that has been done I find it quieter at low revs (so it won't wake the neighbours!) with some of the bass frequencies less prevalent. In light of this I asked them to make sure the exhaust gained under warranty to be a Stradale Street (i.e. tubi's version of the Stradale exhaust) rather than a standard tubi. This arries at end of May so will be in place for Le mans (that will teach the Gendarmes!!).

Izza

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Izza,
    Yes I would definately agree with you. After about 1 or 2 hours of driving (in traffic in London) if I'm ever out that long, the tubi is waaaay too noisy. Sometimes I even put the hood up to dull it out (or perhaps it might be raining...!) :)

Robert,
    What do you mainly use your car for?
    I use my car only for fun - blasting through London (around the City & nrth London) and for drive outs into country. I don't use it as a practical 'daily driver' at all, so the noise does not very often become a big issue. I'm actually going to put test pipes in very soon >-) as my CATS have disintegrated nicely..

Ade

13. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Ade,

Need to be careful here. I thoroughly enjoy the the increased volume provided by the tubi back box. It was only the low frequencies that originate from resonance in the cat tubes which were not as welcome. In terms of absolute noise levels the Stradale Street should be much noisier!! However, in tems of passifying neighbours and motorway travelling, the system has similar valves to the OEM's so at lower revs the noise will be relative inobtrusive. When the throttle is floored ..................that's another story!!

14. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    On the 355, the drone is not too bad, especially compared to the 360.

My 355 was a spider, which I believe makes a difference, as the bass sound escapes easier.

360 tubi only is a little bit bassy and can be quite intrusive, but cats out it sounds pretty much like a motorbike.

Mine was also done by Scuderia Systems and I can also echo fantastic customer service, together with fantastic quality exhaust.

As for comments, its simply a case of you WILL enjoy it, no two ways. If you love the sound of the 355, you will absolutely adore it to death con tubi!

15. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Cheers guys for your insight.

I only use the car for short blasts round and about the local countryside- family pressure prevents longer jaunts sadly. I rarely drive with anyone else (sniff- norman no-mates, that's me!) so conversation is rarely an issue...

My car is a GTS, so presumably with more tin about than a spider the resonances might behave differently.

Mainly, I get the impression that despite the 'boom' none of you regret having the system fitted, and seem to love the sound most of the time which has reassured me.

And with Scuderia's "satisfaction guarantee" I can give it a go, and if I really don't like it, try another marque e.g. Capristo which I understand is a higher-pitched sound.

Regards

Robert.

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I've got a full decatted Tubi on my 96 GTB and Simon355 has the same system on his 355 Sypder, there is quite a difference in the noise/pitch/volume. I actually prefer Simon's sound (more pitch) but visa versa he's said he prefers the sound of mine. I'm not sure whether it's the type of car that makes the difference or the age of the exhaust - mine's a couple of months old vs Simon's over 12 months old (I think). Also being a 96 I'm on the early version of the engine management system - basically one computer vs two in the later models, Manu says the Tubi works better on the earlier cars - don't know whether that is true or not. At low revs on part throttle it isn't much louder than stock but as soon as you drop a gear or two and floor it the sound is ............... unreal.

I must admit I felt a bit apprehensive about paying £2k for an exhaust but the drive back from London after it was fitted soon dispelled any worries. The car sounds so much more like a Ferrari should. The downside for some is the loudness - for some people I imagine it's a bit too 'boy racer ish'.

Go for it - and let's all organise a 355 Tubi'd day out somewhere (quiet !!)

Rick

17. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    On the boyracer bit, I don't reckon it does sound to true boy-racerish (thankfully). As a reformed chav myself ( www.chavscum.co.uk ) - I can tell you boy racer cars sound VERY hollow and meaningless when compared to the Ferrari/Tubi combo. There is no depth and definately no higher pitches to the sound of a stupid phatt pipe that typifies such a chav-mobile one would see around most town centres around England.

I hope most people can tell the difference... or am I just being a naive bloke :)

Chav-Ade