Ripped off by fake?? | FerrariChat

Ripped off by fake??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Billy10mm, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    #1 Billy10mm, May 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay,

So I recently bought a cashmere Burberry scarf off Ebay. Seller was a power ebay seller, had his own "Ebay Store", and had 100% positive feedback from 104 people. Everything about this item looked "right" online and continued to go right after I won the auction. Seller was friendly, shipped immediately, and I got exactly what was pictured up on the site.

However, my uber-shopper wife seems to think that I got ripped off. In the attached photo, she says that a Burberry tag has blue stiching attaching it to the garment, unlike the tan stiching used here. Also note the poor stiching job done on the left side of the tag. Also pictured is that annoying little blue Burberry "button" and my wife seems to remember that it should have the Burberry name printed on it which as you can see, it doesn't. We called the mid-town Burberry store about this, and the young woman that picked up the phone left us less than impressed with her mental flexibility, so we're not sure if her answer was worth anything.

Anybody have any ideas?? I'm sure one of you has got a "Burberry Wife" ... no???

Bill in Brooklyn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
  3. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Unless you paid the real Burberry price, what does it matter?

4. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Don't ask me ... ask the wife. The scarf retails for about $220, I got it for $96 + shipping. If you ask me, given how soft it is, it's worth $96, but the wife wants me to send it back anyway.

Bill in Brooklyn

5. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    yeah really? if it looks burberry and feels like ti, who cares if its fake, no one will know anyway, if its good enough that you have to ask us

6. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I am looking at my Burberry's scarf. It has a dark blue tag in the lower right hand corner. It looks slightly different from the one pictured in the ebay listing. I know that I purchased mine from their London store.

It's has a full white border around the Burberrys name and mine has the circled R in the upper right hand corner. I'd make a digital picture of it and post it here but it's a pain, to me, to upload. I don't seem to know how to do it.

Dr C

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It matters a lot. If that dealer has been selling knock offs, it would completely destroy the sellers EBAY credibility. That's one hell of a risk but some sellers will try anything to move products. Labels can be forged if they have the right equipment & skill. The best thing that I can suggest is contact Burrberry & addresses your concern.

Good luck.

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Don't know if this helps, because mine (it's real, bought in Burberry store) is five years old. But mine is very different. First of all, mine has "Burberrys" and not "Burberry." But, as other have indicated, it definitely has the registered trademark symbol by the name. Here is how the label reads:

Burberrys
    of London
    Dry Clean Only
    Made in England

White border around the label, and gray or clear stitching. (not tan, not blue)

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This could be a year-to-year product line difference. They might have such changes... although the BurberryS to Burberry might be a big clue.

Cardinal rule is to assume everything on eBay is knockoff. I'd send it back if you can.

Burberry does have outlet stores and you can get it at outlets like Saks Off 5th, you should try there for another scarf. I got a microfiber Burberry trench coat at Saks Off 5th for about 25% the original price.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sorry, It's a FUGAZI!

DL

11. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    If I saw you walking down the street and noticed that your "Burberry" scarf was missing the word "Burberry" on the button I'd laugh at you and call your a loser and your social standing would suddenly drop 20 points.

Conspicuous Consumption is funny. I know that its not the point, but still... who cares? Your friends? Your wife? Your employees? The chick at the bar?

Luke.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Even though I have some "custom" homemade Ferrari clothing with badges I bought in Italy (and a good amount of real stuff from stores), the reason I won't buy premade knockoff clothing, accessories, watches, etc., is that once it is revealed that your Rolex is fake people will assume everything else you have is also a counterfeit. I would rather make do with a legit low-end product than be exposed as a phony *trying* to pass for something else.

Otherwise, I'd be driving a 355 Spider Fiero right now! :)

13. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    #13 Just_some_dude, May 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know nothing about these scarves but look at the tag, it say NOVELTY right on it. That must be how the get away with using a similar name to the genuine article; or is that some type of scarf lingo?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

15. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, I don't think thats real.

16. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    CNN did a story about eBay stores a while ago. Seems like a lot of the people who sell these fashionable items like the $800 purses and $200 scarves are largely fakes. There's a guy on another forum I'm on that says he and his wife make $25-35k a MONTH selling purses on eBay. The only way I can see them making that kind of money is if they're buying fakes from China for $15 and selling them to label whores for $700...otherwise I'd open up a purse shop at the mall tomorrow.

-R

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Sorry Bill, looks like you've been had.

FYI, there are a LOT of fakes on Ebay. From looking at the auctions and comparing to actual products I'd guess that close to a third of the Tommy Bahama shirts on Ebay are fake. They are good fakes though. The best example I can think of the is the Tommy Bahama "Harley" shirt you see on Ebay. Everything about the shirt is an amazing replica, right down to the paper tags and shirt labels. BUT, Tommy Bahama NEVER made a Harley shirt.

Lots and lots of Fake brands on ebay.

Buyer Beware.

18. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Thanks for all the help guys!! Sucks that I got shafted on my first ever Ebay purchase, but I learned to stay away from clothing on Ebay. Thanks. 0h, and the scarf was a gift for the wife and she cares ... I couldn't care less, if it feels good and looks nice (she likes the Burberry plaid thing, I hate it), who cares if the tag isn't sewn on right.

I whois'd the domain the guy's email came from and I've got his real phone number in Indianapolis so I've got some things to go on. I don't take well to getting financially violated and as such I'm pretty farkin pizzed right now. I'm going to send him an email to see if I can return it and get my money back, but I doubt it's just going to be that simple.

Any Indianapolis FChatters feel like getting together for a lunch one these days?? I might have to take a road trip.

Motto for today children:
    Never mess with an armed Brooklynite.

Bill in Brooklyn
    Glock 23 w/ Mepros and Golddots
    Glock 19 w/ Golddots

Bill's Pizzed-Off Wife:
    Fullsize Kimber .45

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Bill, did you leave the seller your comments about the transaction? If not, time for some negative feedback.

20. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It was 100 bucks, big deal. Cheap lesson. Suck it up and move on. Would you expect to get a real rolex on ebay for half price?

21. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Cheap lesson ... yes, my money ... yes. I work hard for my money and no matter the amount, I don't "give it away" to liars and scam artists. I'm especially PO'd because this was a gift for my wife. I will do as much as I can to get this back. I refuse to be a victim, end of story.

Nope, haven't left feedback yet. I'm saving my feedback to see how he handles returning my money.

Bill in Brooklyn

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Go buy your wife a new one from the store and since you don't care about the other one being fake, you take that one. Then everyone is happy and you have a nice new scarf!