308 speedo fault | FerrariChat

308 speedo fault

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dmess, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmess

dmess Rookie

May 19, 2004
    got a 308 gts 1980 with faulty electronic speedo sender unit. can't get one any where in the uk and ferrari tell me they are no longer manufactured. can any one help. the part number is 106324.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Pinnacle Motorsports here in Houston was trying to fix mine and had a new sender. My problem turned out to be the dash unit. :(

Need the phone number?

Ferrari UK better get some made, they break often!

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    There is a new, updated sending unit for the 308, so you might be getting mixed up on that. Get it fixed quick - the longer you wait, the less your car is worth, as the odometer isn't turning either. That means you have some 'splain'in to do to the next buyer.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, a troublesome speedo doesn't necessarily mean a troublesome odometer!

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If the speedo isn't working, neither is the odometer.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    According to the FofUK website, the correct part # is 197181. The price is 54.50GBP. They apparently have them in stock.

7. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Incorrect. My 308's speedometer was having "sticking" issues, and the odometer and trip odometer were working just fine (mileage/distance verified).

It depends on if the issue lies within the speedometer, or if it is the sender. There are things that can happen within the speedometer to prevent accurate mileage accrual on the odometers, but there are other problems too that can give a false/no speedo reading and still have correct odometers.

I know. It happened to me.

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Regarding the senders, my understanding from Dave at Sodacom's (and subsequent verification) is that there is MORE than one type of sender used on 308s. I think there is one for the carb models, and that it changed for the FI models. As I recall, both are available, but the carb model speedo generator was much more expensive. Check your part numbers!

--Mike

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The senders are indeed different on the carb and FI cars. If I remember the carb one is more than twice that of the FI unit. Both should be available with minor digging.

10. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    I had problems also with my 308 (carbed) speedo. I changed the speedo sender and it worked again, but my odometer still doesn't work.

TRY ItalianCarParts.com that's where I got my speedo sender. I'm just not sure if they carry the ones used for FI 308's.

11. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Err, what's wrong with the one from FofUK mentioned above?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought his original statement was they were not in stock.

13. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    He was looking for the *wrong* part number. Probably from an old book. The one I mentioned is from the website for a 1980 Euro (as it appears he's in England). BTW, it's a bit of a pain to find the sender in the books. First, it's tough to figure out which page, and even when you find the correct page, it's not terribly visible in the diagram.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    $235 from italiancarparts.com!! I paid about $130 for mine from T.rutlands (factory oem Veglia part) three years ago....I would check carefully before buying parts from italiancarparts.com....I have found from surfing their site that their prices are typically double to four times what you will pay from an authorized FNA dealer or independant Ferrari parts house. Best prices are usually Ferrari UK.

15. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Yeah, as I mentioned, it's 54.50GBP, or about $96.50 from FofUK.

16. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry about recommending ItalianCarParts.com. I didn't know how expensive they are until I contacted Trutlands and Ferrari Uk which are definitely cheaper.

17. dmess

dmess Rookie

May 19, 2004
    i've got to the bottom of my speedo fault on my 308. The early 308 carb speedo part number is 106324 (generatore d'impulsi) from drawing TAV.25 parts catalogue. This part is no longer availble. However this part number has been superceed with part number 124146 but this part is also no longer availble and ferrari uk do not know when it will be availble. Part number 197181 (ferrarichat 4re gt4) is for the fuel injected 308 and dos'nt fit on the carb model thanks for your help anyway. Oh and ferrai have them in stock.

Thankfully those nice helpful people at ferrari uk found one sender unit part number 124146 at ferrari hong kong and fed-ex it to me, it arrived today, i've fitted it (it's easy to do) and my speedo now works. It costs £76.50 plus delivery (not bad).
    I am going to take the old faulty unit apart to see what fails and if it can be fixed.

Thanks for all your input.

18. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Oops. Sorry. I thought all 1980 cars were FI.

Guess I'll have to carefully guard my carb speedo sender.

19. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well Italian/American!

I purchased One "Impulse Generator" Part # 124146 for $150.00 USD from Dennis McCann Ferrari Parts in Westerville, OH in December of 2003. Shipping to US West coast via 3 day UPS was 16 USD.

In other threads you can see simular discussions re: this topic.

20. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Even the 81 and 82 injected cars had different units. I got the right one from Dennis McCann. Take out the sender first to verify.