355 shrinkage? | FerrariChat

355 shrinkage?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tvproducer, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvproducer

tvproducer Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    anybody familiar with interior leather shrinkage problems in 355? mine has a little panel over the airbag that has shrunk and apparently that requires removal of the whole airbag and reprogramming. over $1000 to replace a tiny piece of leather seems extreme. i've heard this is common so why doesn't ferrari do a recall? i understand they don't warantee cosmetics but they must be using inferior parts if they are frequently shrinking.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    try conditioning the bejeezus out of the leather before you fork over a grand+. but you're probably hosed.

the 550s do the same thing. as well as the airbag on the passenger side. it fluxes though with humidity.

doody.

3. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    You can still save it. Leatherique (a list sponsor) sells Rejuvanator Oil. Slather that on, rub it in, get it hot so it gets absorbed and the leather will return to the regular shape. You may have to repeat. I thought my spider interior was toast but that stuff had it looking like new.

4. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    " i've heard this is common so why doesn't ferrari do a recall? i understand they don't warantee cosmetics but they must be using inferior parts if they are frequently shrinking."

It's not really Ferrari's fault. You can thank the previous owners for not taking proper care of your car.

5. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Realistically, there really is NO excuse for the leather shrinkage. It shouldn't happen. I had a 1991 BMW 750iL with 45K miles on it, and it sat outside in the sun and I never cared for the leather and it always looked like the day I bought it. Same with my mom's 1990 Lexus LS 400 (which I now own), and certainly the same for 911's I've owned. Left them outside and NOTHING shrank. And I didn't have to spend hours with rejuvenating oil (which I am slathering all over the F355 trying to keep the shrinkage to a minimum). Just because they are high performance cars is no excuse for Ferrari using obviously inferior interior bits and pieces. We shouldn't make excuses for them....it shouldn't happen in a car that originally sold for $140K+. Seems to me that Aston Martins don't have the same problem....and they have more leather that a Ferrari. Is it that Italian cows have thinner leather than British cows? And that silly "paint" that is bubbling up is also inexcusable in this level of automobile. So, while the performance may in some way "make up for" the lack of quality in the interior, it shouldn't be excused. The factory should be ashamed to release products like this....but they are laughing all the way to the bank...and we are still buying their cars (and will continue to do so, I'm sure).

That being said, when DRIVING the car, I don't notice the leather or "paint" shrinkage, I just notice the big smile on my face.

6. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I recall George Costanza having problems with "shrinkage" (of a different sort) in a Seinfeld episode. :)

7. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Kevin, very well put, my 355 is in nearly perfect condition, EXCEPT for the dash shrinkage which looks like crap.

8. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree 100%. For these prices, this leather shrinkage is ridiculous. My car is also great except for the dash shrinkage around the vents

stan

9. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Let's all meet in front of FNA Monday at noon and blow our air horns until they cough up some new dash panels for everyone!!!!

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So you DO take the time once a month to feed and treat the leather so YOUR car never has this problem?

11. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    My car has not been in my care since new. In the time I've had it? Yes I clean and put the preserver on it as often as I wax it. But I've never done it to any of the 30 or so cars I've owned in the past with no problems. Let's face it, it's either poorly installed or poorly cut leather for it to be considered a "common problem".

12. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    Is leather shrinkage a problem with the 360s also or did Ferrari do something to fix the problem?

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Now that I think about it, haven't heard about leather shrinkage in 360's. Hmmm...

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    i saw the thread title and thought, "I WAS IN THE POOL! I WAS IN THE POOL!"

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

16. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    it was not ALL that it could be.....

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The problem is that Ferrari choses the wrong material for certain applications...leather on the dash is inappropriate. I don't know of many cars with leather dashes...most have molded plastic (BMW comes to mind) or vinyl, which last far longer.

18. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "The problem is that Ferrari choses the wrong material for certain applications...leather on the dash is inappropriate. I don't know of many cars with leather dashes...most have molded plastic (BMW comes to mind) or vinyl, which last far longer."

My last 911 had a leather dash. I owned it for 4 years and I didn't have any problems with the leather (or anything else, for that matter).

Of course, I conditioned it every few months -- just like I do on my 360. So far so good.

19. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    The covering around A/C control by shift gate is actually expanding & started to bubble. I'm thinking to blow cold air using a hair dryer, and use leatherique. I guess a garage in TX is too hot for 355!

21. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    ????? I had mine re-covered at a UK independent dealer for about £100 or so if I recall correctly. They do need to remove and reprogram the airbag, however it only took an hour to do it - I was watching my mechanic sort it out. Sounds like you need to shop around more within the US. Looks MUCH better once its done..
    Ade