Now It's The !@#$% CV Boot! | FerrariChat

Now It's The !@#$% CV Boot!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Guess my '76 308 is having a hissy fit over being neglected.

While replacing the rotten fuel filler hose, noticed the fuel pump hoses also were rotten. While replacing those, discovered the fuel filter was clogged. While replacing that, discovered the outside CV boot on the driver side rear axle is torn. While checking that out, spotted the rotten rubber bushings on the A-arms, struts, or whatever the hell they're called.

Geez, take a warning don't neglect these cars. If you dont stay on top of it, you're damn sure gonna be under it.

OK, does anyone know where to get the CV boots for the rear axles on the 1976 308? Are those just snap on clamps? And those allen bolts look menacingly stubborn and I haven't even put a wrench to them yet. So once I find the boots, is this a no-brainer?

Ferrari shop manual says: "The axle-shafts do not require periodical lubrication. Only in case that the gaiter (CV boot is my guess) breaks, have it replaced; then wash the joint and refill it with the prescribed quantity of recommended grease."

To the guy who wrote this: And just where are we to find the "prescribed quantity" and the "recommended grease" if not in the !@#$% Ferrari Workshop Manual!

Anyone want a free (slightly damaged from being thrown against the wall often) 1976 Ferrari 308 Workshop Manual?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Gone through all those things while my car was on jackstands for an engine rebuild. No problems since then.

Relax, the CB boot bolts are easy to remove. Not a problem. I did my with an allen socket, on a long extension connected to a air impact wrench. No problem.

It is not rocket science to replace a cv boot. Relax. The prescribed amount of grease is just any hi-quality CV boot joint grease, packed fully within the joint, and then a few more gobs inside the boot for good measure.

Once you got all those fairly minor issues sorted out, keep on driving.

3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
  4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I did an inner boot on on my 328 this year, it was the first job I did on the car and a real #*&+@^* to fix.. The allen bolts on the outer end run in the area exposed to the wet and so were rusted up, access is not great and a regular key would not work. I strongly recommend you get the correct metric size allen bit that fits into a socket and then use a breaker bar and possibly a pipe on the end also. The trouble I had is that the nut is stopped from rotating by butting up against a ridge on the flange, but because of the tightness the nuts rounded off and rotated, so I ended up cutting through the nuts with a Dremel ( can't tell you how many times that little tool has saved me on jobs) the inner bolts were not a problem because they are not exposed to the weather and in fact get a bit of oil spray so came out pretty easily with a socket and long extension.
    The boots are easily availabe from Ferrari UK or Superformance in the UK etc. etc. and are about the same price as a Ford. The grease is pretty standard graphite grease available all over the place, just put a generous amount in the joint after making sure everything is clean, just don't pack the boots full because the centrifugal foce may split the boots, just use a common sense amount and you will be OK. The clips bend into place and then you pinch the loop closed to tighten the clamp. It is a DIY (do it yourself) job, but can be a bit of a struggle if the bolts have been in there a long time. You need to use new nuts and quite probably the bolts too.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I just did mine last week and it took about 4 hrs each side
    3.5 hrs to remove and reinstall each 1/2 shaft and only 30 mins to do the boots.

you can get the boots at an ferrari shop or TRutlands has boxes full of them---and a lot cheaper that dealers.

points to consider

A you only have to remove 1 end to get both boots off
    B DO NOT misplace the funky little snap ring--you can not get another one
    C the old style stainless tie wraps stink--either go to any parts store and get new ones from some modern car or (as I did) get some aircraft quality nylon tie-wraps and a good tie-wrap cinch gun.
    D-very important!! when reinstalling the snap ring- you will think it is in place but it is not--notice that the belville washer you took off _on other side of joint) is bent and has to be compressed--you will need to put a deep socket over the shaft that will contact the snap ring and give it a good slap with a mallot to seat it back in the groove.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Don I am with you on this too. Mine split up by the trans. First we had our speedo sending units now the CV boot. It does look like a pain in the ass too. I am going to order my new boots and give it a shot. I have never tried one before. Keep me posted on yours. I will do the same. Good news my speedo jump was from a loose connection at the sending unit. Plugged it all the way in and taped. Works great.

7. DEMETRE GOUDAS

Nov 10, 2003
    While you are in there make sure that u replace all 4 at the same time. Clean and inspect the big ball bearings before u relube them. Also check the seals at the differential unit and do them now that the shafts will be out. After all dont forget that they are probably more than 25 years old and have suffered from the same heat and dirt that every thing else has.It is only one more large nut per side and u are there.A total of an hour for both sides. Parts are cheap and available everywhere. As for the allen bolts i also had to cut 2 or 3 but they are available .

8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Just for future record, my shop manual calls for 140 gr. of lube.

9. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Got mine from a Porsche dealer .. 928 Porsche I think. Maybe a lot cheaper than Ferrari boots. Take the old one and see if they can match it.

Regards,

Pete

10. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    This thread is a common example of the knowledge and generosity of fellow owners that makes our Ferraris a joy to drive and a totally engrosing hobby to maintain.

Thank you all.
    chris

11. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Lot more easier said than done, my impact gun didnt have the TQ to bust off those puppies, it took a breaker/cheater bar combo to crack them suckers.
    Its the most scarry sound you'll hear from your car when they snap, mine sounded like a firecracker, I was amazed the bolts did brake in two.
    after that its all down hill.

Mark