Do new models grow on you? | FerrariChat

Do new models grow on you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PerryJ, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Do the newer ferrari models grow on you, or did you find yourself either liking or not liking a model the first time you saw it and have stuck with your first opinion?

There is so much talk of 80's cars versus newer models, and I have to admit that when I first saw a 308/328/TR's and even the 348 they were jaw dropping designs that made my heart skip a beat (three beats with the TR) but with the newer designs I didn't get that, with the 355, 456,550, and 360 and yes (putting on NOMEX) even the Enzo didn't make me skip beats like the 80's designs did.........BUT.................

After awhile they all I guess "grew" on me and now I could spend hours with my eyes tracing the lines of a Modena..........even the 456 when I took the time to look one over is a true machina bella, much more of a thing of art than just another sports car. I find that these cars didn't have the "love at first sight" factor that the older models did, but when savored like fine cabernet, they have a beauty that radiates from them, in the lines the sounds, the smells, and the feel, that few if any other car on the road can even come close to comparing with.........................sorry for all the waxing

in closing.....FORZA FERRARI........BRAVO guys job(s) well done...................

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The only car that really has REALLY tugged at me lately is the Maserati MC12.

The designs of the 90's have just sort of grown on me. Nothing really revolutionary, with the exception of the Enzo of course. I have problems with that too.

Mostly predictable otherwise, some call it evolutionary.

In 1970 the 240Z knocked people on their ear. The styling of today's 350Z, again, predictable, kind of cool except for the fugly nose and grill shape.

As welcome as the new GTO (Pontiac) is, it is nothing but a tweeked and rebadged Holden Manaro that could easily be lost in the sea of 'streamlined jellybean looking things'.

No inspiration...............................................No real 'Love at First Sight'.

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I have often felt that the 240/280Zs are Datsun/Nissan translation of the 62 Ferrari 250GTO. I think the designers of the newer cars are too busy looking back into the past and trying to sell cars instead of just designing them and looking forward for breakthroughs. Just to name a few, all the new Lambos are riding on the coat tails of the Countach, the BMW Z8s are modern version of the 505s, the MB/McLarens are trying to resurrect the 300SL Guldwings. As for the Ferraris, the 360s are modernized/grown up versions of the Dino, the 550/575s are an attemp to follow the Daytonas and let's not even get started on the 456/612s. Have you notice how Pinnifarina keeps on referring to the older cars when they introduced a new car?

In my opinion, the lines from the Countach/308/328/TR/Espirit/911 will forever be timeless. :)

4. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree, the newer models appear similiar to asian cars, they seem to have lost the Italian flair, & styling.
    Look at the ISO also, that body styling is also classic. I know that there's such thing as "period styling" but again it appears that historically Ferrari was the front runner, to be copied.
    Now don't get me wrong I like the TR's but I'm partial to the round taillights, it just seems to be a Ferrari hallmark.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For me: the 308 was instantly "just right"; and the F355 was just so much more soothing to the eye than the F348 that I knew that a F348 would never do: once again for me.

So, I fall into the catagory that the first impression lasts a long time.

6. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The recent models have had one particular effect on me personally. The impact gap between seeing a Ferrari for real vs. seeing one in print is getting much, much wider. This may or may-not be one reason for the growing polemics and critiques against the newer designs, but in essence, I find that photos and images of the newer Ferraris are becoming less and less able to convey their true beauty. The Enzo being a pertinent example of this, but also the Modena 360.

Funnily enough though, I find the Challenge Stradale the most beatiful Ferrari ever designed and I haven't even seen one on the road!

I can only speak for myself, but to me the allure of the evolving Ferrari line is certainly not diminishing. They still have that special buzz about them - no matter the model - a radiating spark that elevates them to pieces of art. In my eyes they are beyond comparison vs. anything else on the road today, with models like the 550/575 and 456/Scaglietti finding a wonderful harmony between retrospection and the progression of design.

But, of course, I do wear rosso-corsa tinted glasses ;)

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It took a long before i warmed up to the Daytona... i know, i know, it sounds crazy...

8. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I didn't love the 360 at first, but it's the only ferrari that's grown on me, it's usually love at first sight.
    I will never LOVE the 612.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Have you seen it in person...? When i first saw it, i was elated; i thought it was a definite step forward from the 456... Then a few people saw it in person and posted that they liked it; good; actual visual confirmation... Then more and more people saw it in person and it seemed like the majority DIDN'T like it... i started to get nervous...

i finally saw one in person at Road Atlanta, last weekend... It's beautiful... It dwarfs the 456 and i can't imagine how it could be considered a "TRUE" sports car, but i think it's beautiful and i think it's a step forward from the 456 (in MOST aspects, not all)...

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Definitely!!!! Even the first time I saw the Enzo in pictures I didn't much care for it. But after I saw it in person, I was floored. Even the 550/575 didn't do much at first. Now I think it's a classy, timeless design.

11. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    I feel the same way. AT first I was not sure about the look of the Enzo, but when I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show in 2003 I was ecstatic. Any doubts I had went away immediately and I was in love. Same for the 612, sort of. I still haven't gotten used to the front end, but once I saw it in person at this year's show I was very happy with the car. Pictures cannot due them justice, and the 612 does not look as odd in person.

12. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Tell me about it. This has happened to me quite often. Here are the instances:

When that 360 came out, boy that made me mad. I loved the 355 to death and then they brought that 360. I could not believe it but now I LOVE the 360 spider to death so much that I would like that to be one of the next cars.

The Enzo is a whole other story. I HATED the car when it came out. I thought it was the ugliest thing in the world and then after seeing one in person and hanging out with a few people and talking about it I started to like it. I said I would not give in but I did. Now it is not my favorite car in the world but it is on the top ten maybe even top five. I would love to have it in a six speed gear box though. That would be amazing.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The only thing modern car designers haven't so-called "improved on" is the spelling of the name FERRARI :(

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    enzo is now ok...was a hell no.

575's exterior I like better then the 550 now..though interior is still no comparison..550 all the way.

612 I dislike. I still do.

15. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I can't wait for the 612's, then MAYBE 456 prices we hit my price range !!!

16. shelbee

shelbee Guest

If you think about it that yellow F50 inspired an Enzo look

17. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    one thing that has always amazed me is how different models look when by themselves but when placed side by side you can really see similarities in all the models. I would love to see a pic when a enzo, 575, 360,355,348,TR,288, and all the rest all sitting side by side, what an idea for a poster !!

18. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Since i am still a teen, these new models dont really need to grow on me. These are the cars of my era and i would choose them over any other era of F-cars (No offense to the old timers). All Ferrari's are beautiful in their own ways.

19. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    For a car to look good, it must be like a beautiful woman - have presence, ballance, taut flowing curves, lots of character. A car should never look like an insect (the 360), or a fish (the F50), these will never grow on me, and yes I have studied them in person at length. That said, I like the 550, and I don't dislike the Enzo, as it is an inspired combination of shapes. It's more modern computer generated art than the inspired hand crafted art of old though.

I've always been more partial to the Vintage cars really. The 50s 250 TDF Zagato is a good example:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/65834151/65834649Aenlul

I have not seen a 612 in person, so have no opinion yet!

No trolling here, just expressing my viewpoint.

Cheers,
    Jon

20. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Doug:

That is VERY true. I never understood my father or mother when they would say, man such and such a car was amazing. I would always say that is an old car and usually I would not like it. Now I see their point and now cars are changing drastically for the most part and I see myself saying the same thing when I am older. I could just see it now, saying to children, man that Ferrari 355 was an amazing car. They will of course say, THAT IS OLD!

21. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    yeah....i still think some of the old cars look pretty good (especially the 275 GTB), but my dream car is not one of yesterday, but one of today....

22. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I agree! The 240Z was designed on the classic layout of long hood, short tail. Drivers position towards the back of the car, like Ferrari, Jaguar and Austin Healey to name a few. So why was the 240Z so popular?

Because it gave to the buyer what the buyer was looking for. A good looking car, (albeit a throwback, rehash), with a decent amount of horse power, reasonably good handling and it was affordable to the common masses.

Yes it was a car for the bargain hunter but the formula still holds true for upscale cars as well. I have heard many times that if Ferrari built a "NEW" 308 it would sell like crazy. Why, because it is a good looking car, even after 25 years. You can't deny a good design. A good design is TIMELESS, like a 250 GTO or a 275 GTB.

As far as designers looking back and not forward enough in their designs I will have to disagree. I have seen the latest prototypes displayed at the various shows lately and the designs are basically comical. Everywhere I look there faces on the front of cars and trucks. Happy smiley grill faces and some with evil looking canted headlights and frowning grill openings resembling sewer grates. Don't forget the 'Pissed off Rabbit' look of Toyota Celica. Yeah, That's what I want, A pissed off rabbit looking car.................................

You are correct about one thing Anthony, designers need to make a REAL BREAKTHROUGH and quit watching Saturday morning cartoons.

DJ

24. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Well, the new Alfa 8C Competizione looks simply stunning.

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My first visual was ath the Detroit Auto Show and I liked the 612. It will post great numbers and will have a waiting list for purchase. The Enzo was the same way for me, I had to see one in person.