308 timing belt question | FerrariChat

308 timing belt question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Barnone 308, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Guys, I have a quick question, and please forgive me for my inexperience. but in replacing the timing belts on a 308. I read a few different procedures. But isn't it just replacing belt. after you make your markings and losen the belt, don't you just place another on, and tighten to speck. What does someone have to not forget to do?..

Thanks Guys, I love F-chat..I wish I can buy you all drinks.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Whoa, big fella!

There's more to it than that. The most common cause of problems is when the Tensioner Bearing and spring is not replaced at the same time. This is critical, as, if the bearing seizes or fails a brand new belt is still toast.

Also, it is incorrect to assume existing valve timing on the orientation is "spot on", a good technician will investigate and confirm valve train operation per bank before reinstalling new belts. Not uncommon to find someone cutting the corner earlier in the engine's life missed it by a tooth or two.

A belt service is the cheapest insurance you can buy for these cars. I let my tech do it, at the recommended intervals. We take off a lot of belts that look brand new, but find a lot of tensioners just short of failure.

Do both at one time! HTH!

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes always change both. Belts are around $22 and the kit with Tensioner bearings and belts is around $250 or so.

Just for the record all of the belts and bearings I have taken off, the bearings were always in surprisingly good condition.

4. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada

Is there anything I can read or intructions that will provide me some guidance on how to do this.

5. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    You may read through this site ... I can't ensure that it applies or is accurate to every aspect, but it may give you some idea of what's going on.

You may want another member to read through the procedure and comment.

http://www.cameragear.com/ec/timing.htm

I hope that other members will read this and clarify for Barnone ... Thanks

Best wishes

6. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is a special tool to span and hold the gears during the procedure, if you are going to maintain the existing timing.

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My experience regarding tensioners is the same as above entry cites. Much of the profit in servicing vehicles is in the installation of new parts whether you need them or not. It takes the same amount of time to install new tensioners as the old ones. They buy them for less than we can so there is profit in making the switch because we have to pay them retail. I have a friend who has a shop that repairs german cars. He cannot be profitable on labor alone. Parts generate profit with no additional sweat.

I don't blame them. They are covering their butts as well. And the customer feels more secure especially after reading all the scary stories about timing belt failure.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My guess would be that the perceived condition of the Tensioner bearings will vary a lot with the reason for doing the belt replacement. I.e.:

If it's done because of time yet at low mileage = Tensioner bearings will seem OKish (which is the more common case because you maniacs don't drive your F enough ;))

If it's done for mileage = Tensioner bearings not so good. At least that's been my experience -- after each of my three 30K mile stints, they've been rather "dryish" and no question IMO needed replacement.

10. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    This is why I really appreciate my mechanic. He lets me obtain my own parts. Water pump at FNA prices = $1100. Water pump from G. Evans = $350. Nuff said.

11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I still maintain that a lot of replacement parts are not necessary. It is insurance for both the customer and the shop. Some of you guys rationalize it by saying it's the entrance fee for driving a Ferrari. Others indicate they have some sort of special relationship with their technician and that he has their interests foremost in his mind. Oh my.