HOW REFINDED DO WE WANT OUR SPORT CARS? | FerrariChat

HOW REFINDED DO WE WANT OUR SPORT CARS?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    iin my search for a daily driver sports car, i have come upon this question...how refined do i want my sports cars to be?...obviously, on a weekend only , low milage car this is less of an issue... i was suprised at how refined the 360 spider is....it could easily be a daily driver.. the ride is not jarring, the seats and the controls are confortable and easy to use, the engine is too sedate with a tubi,andwith the top up it is coupe like..even the hi fi stereo sounds great...even the new l cars are more refined than the previous models...are the exotics going too far in this direction? obvious they see that the well to do baby boomers are soon going to be in their 60s and need something easier to drive and get in andout of...are the new exotics lossing their bite?...your opinions please

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I have no problem with the refinement. It makes the cars more comfortable and more useable.

That said, I am attracted to the vintage cars because of their outrageousness, because they are unrefined. But, just because they are refined now does not make them tame. A 360 would be faster around a track than a 250 GTO. So, how would you define a car as losing it's bite?

To me, I agree, it's awesome to feel that the car is raw. But I also appreciate what the modern cars can do. So, the simple answer is that I need old and new cars :)

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said..

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The F40 and the Stradale represent all the refinement I'd ever want. If I want refinement, I'll buy a GT or sedan. My 2 cents.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I asked the same question when I changed from 328 to 355. It just blew me away how comfortable 355 is. (power steering is nice, but I want it little tighter)

As long as this gorgeous looking sports car have a decent A/C so I can drive in daytime in TX, that's pretty much refined enough for me. Appropriate level of power steering is a plus. I haven't tracked so far, so that's about all I notice based on streets driving.

"Easy to drive fast" is not always good IMO.

I think Ferrari did pretty good releasing Stradale for race (speed)minded drivers.

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #6 venusone, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I seem to be crossing over from bare refinement to a hissing throaty pocket rocket. The supercharger installed last week is running well. I do this because I can’t help myself & am always in search of more hp. I like to FEEL a car & too much refinement can smooth the driving experience to yogurt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    good question

however, if Ferrari's get any more refined than they currently are they might as well be Cadillac's.

Ferrari's are getting bigger, more roomy, more buttons and switches,
    mo dis, mo dat, mo bling blong blang

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Scycle, i totally have nothing against you, whatsoever, but i couldn't let this opportunity go to waste... Just last night, you and Darth were having a friendly spat about spelling and grammar and then i saw this thread with the word "refinded" in the title... i almost fell off the chair laughing... :)

In any case, now that i'm here, i might as well reply to the original question, right...?

i like the rawness of a car; no power steering, stiff pedals, knotchy shifters, temperamental engines and iffy weight distribution... They make honing the skill of driving them to their limits that much harder and the victory of such a feat is so much sweeter, i would imagine... For example, the 355 has power steering, is very well balanced and seems like an awesome car for getting sick in the twisties or running out for that last minute garlic bread for Sunday dinner, that you forgot to buy... As has been said many times on this board, the 355 is one of Ferraris greatest creations and there's really no denying that... Now, let's look at the Testarossa (no surprise that i'd pick THAT one, huh...?:))... The TR is a moody beast; once she's been awaken, she's gotta be treated delicately until she's ready to run... Let her sit, let her warm up, don't even THINK about 2nd gear for the next half hour... The shifter is knotchy when running through the gears; it doesn't glide in and out like a hot knife through warm butter, as does the 355... and you've gotta be easy with her going around turns... Don't get me wrong, you can run through the curves with the best of 'em, but one wrong move and she's coldly unforgiving... Before you know it, you're going backwards, with a VERY BIG ass hurtling AWAY from the road...

i much prefer the raw, visceral, uninhibited, no-ABS, MAYBE-the-seat-belt-will-work, dangerously temperamental attitude of a car like the Testarossa... Just my opinion. :)

9. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #9 venusone, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, actually, i was referring to the 80's model Testarossas (which i'm sure you knew)... Besides, i have no experience driving (or even seeing) a 250 TR; i'm undoubtedly undeserving of what an honor it must be to drive something like that...

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Being from Texas, a real A/C is a must in a street car. After this nut is covered, like the song says, "I'd trade all my tomorrows for one single yesterday."

Dr "Winds of the old days" Tax

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    so i flunked spelling!!!! couldnt spell my way out of a paper bag!!!! i am just not a refinded guy!!!!!

13. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I do admit I like a certain degree of refinement in my cars. I enjoy the heritage of the Ferrari, but welcome the progress. It is for the purists and the motor heads to decide which vintage Ferrari is better than the other. Creature comforts in the modern cars are OK with me as long as they stay away from traction control and ABS. Nothing wrong with contemporary, clean interior of a 360. I do admit, though I think Pinaferina shot their load on Testarosa(in my opinion the best non-super Ferrari) and the 355 as all the latest designs look like they were done in Japan. I enjoy the modern advances of an F1 trany, power windows, a comfy seat, an auto top.... These are the things that make up progress. To long for stiff steering, hard shifting and constant breakdowns, and frequent trips to the mechanic is not for me!

14. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I think cars in general are becoming too refined. Look at the Ford F-150, it looks like a damn Audi inside! Who would've thought ten years ago Hyundais would have leather interiors and be compared to cars at least a class above them (I remember one of my friends had a Pony... Hard to believe they actually allowed those things on the road).

I suppose this is a good thing, but I prefer only the bare essentials in a daily driver and I want my sports cars to be "rough". My GT4 fits the bill perfectly.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    For a varierty of reasons, 348 may be the this'n'that'n'more'n'less 8 cyl. answer. Maybe we should ask Goldilocks. "This one's too hard! This one's too soft! This one's jussssssssst right!" Of course, I was the first...

16. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was just reading this thread, and thought to myself the very reason why we own Ferrari's. It is the rawness, the smell of hot metal, the smell of gas and oil, and of course the Noise. This is what makes us car nuts. A friend of mine said to me "why doesn't Ferrari make a comfortable car"? My response was that if you want comfort, then buy a SL500 or that new Caddilac convertable. These are NOT sports cars! They are a GT's. I don't care what they do 0-60 in or the 1/4 mile. Even though Ferrari's have been "tamed" in the last 10 years, there is still a connection that a driver gets that you don't get in most cars. Only a Ferrari owner knows that feeling. Its a feeling that I get when I drive my other cars and wish I was in the Ferrari that day. Its that craving that makes it so special. There are a lot of great cars out there, but none compare to owning a Ferrari, whether it a "tamed" 360 or a "raw" Dino, 550, 456GT, 308, 328,355, Testarossa, 250 GTO, Enzo, F-40, F-50 etc. Its like lookng at a Beautiful model. You just can't take your eyes off of her!