Ferrari Formula Cartier watch | FerrariChat

Ferrari Formula Cartier watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by evandaalen, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    #1 evandaalen, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everybody! I have three original Ferrari Formula watches (made by Cartier) and as I just need one to know the current time, I would like to sell the other two. However, I was wondering if someone knows what a "decent" price for these watches are. Two weeks ago, when I was in Maranello, I saw similar Ferrari Formula watches, in new/mint condition for prices near 900 Euro. And I'm certainly not kidding! Of course, the watches I have are used, but still in very good condition. The one with the black dial is in excellent condition, while the one with the red dial shows a bit more wear and could perhaps need a small "service" (don't worry, the engine doesn't have to be taken out ;)). Any opinions about these watches and info about a "decent" price would be appreciated. Of course, if anyone has any interest in buying it, just let me know!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I've seen the second one on ebay before and it usually gets upwards of $100US but not much more than that. I've never seen the first one though.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    when did cartier make ferrari watches? i thought girard perregaux had that license wrapped up tight?

doody.

4. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I have to look for the exact years, but the Cartiers were made in the 1980s. I heard stories that buyers of Testarossas would get a watch like these ones. But there are many, many types made. All Cartier, although this name is not visible.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    These watches were indeed made in the eighties. There were a hole bunch of different designs. I once bought one off ebay, but can't remember the price I paid, was somewhere 400-600 US$.

They are kinda rare and as an owner of a 84 Ferrari I found it fitting to have the watch that "comes with it". I also got the catalog for all of them and in the background is a Mondial.

6. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I also have scans of the catalog, and it shows 57 different models. And I believe that there was a "series 1" and a "series 2" regarding the watches, so even many more different types ....

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Is the one with red face silver with gold or titanium with gold?
    I can't really tell from the picture on my screen.
    (I'd assume the former; but it looks more like the latter on my screen.)

8. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    The watchband is black with gold. Sorry that the light on the picture is a bit strange on certain parts. Next time I should take the pictures on another spot ....

9. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know these watches but would say that the value will be heavily influenced by the type of movement, are they quartz or mechanical/automatic ?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are quartz. I bought a white/silver 3 dial chronograph with the gray shark skin band.

New in 1987, $675US but it also came with the reprinted Piloti Che Gente (expanded version) with the color photo of Enzo himself in the mirror overlooking the 335S that Peter Collins drives on the other version of this book.

Cartier did not make the movement but it was another Swiss company that I cannot recall. Mine still works but it takes a brave jeweler to attack the 17 point hex back to open it!

Like the car, you have to go in search of the "essential man" LOL!

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's way too much for a quartz watch. Quartz watches ate disposable and not the choice of watch lovers. I do have a Ferrari signature watch by Cartier with an automatic movement that I paid $1500.00 about 10 years ago.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The fact it's electric would mean it's quartz right? I guess I have to look at it or ask the hippie that works on it!

Well, of course it was too much! I bought it at the Houston Galleria, right next to Tiffany's and Nieman Marcus (Needless Markup). NM now has a Schedoni outlet, where we pay too much for luggage! LOL!

Now, that I recall, I got the Book, the watch, and a 1:18 Bburago '57 TR.
    I was in the mall to retrieve my furs from refrigerated storage at Sakowitz.

I thought it was an average deal, not a good deal.

I know your a pretty sharp shopper, Frank. Can you find me some factory luggage for my 308GTB?? Thanks!

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You coming to the 2004 Pirelli Classic in New Orleans?

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll give you $100 for the one with the leather band! :D

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think he was looking for the 900E, Jim. Plus or minus.

You are too much "Minus" LOL!

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Speedy, I found luggage for my 328, TR, 348 and Boxer all by placing "Luggage Wanted" ads in the Ferrari Market Letter.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ahhhhhhh, very fine. I'll PM Carbon McCoy, our "insider" on that. Thanks.

The factory wants 3,800 Euro, and the dollar is still sliding!!!

18. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    :) Don't worry, Speedy, I'm not looking for 900 Euro, as this price was (1) in Maranello and (2) for a mint "new" watch. On the other hand, $100 is a bit too less, I guess ;)

You know, I need to finance all my trips to the Mille Miglia and so, especially as I also want to California in August! ;) ;)

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch my "Road trip" thread in GFD this weekend. I'll be posting pics of my cross country drive.

I ran across some guys in Phoenix, AZ last Monday prepping for Monterey.

VERY INTERESTING collection of cars that day at the track.

250LM, 275GTB Lightweight, Lister Jag, D Type Jag, Shelby Daytona, and a Lotus F1 Jim Clark.

They were all running them and having a great time. They let us hang out a while.

...back to watches....

20. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    They do not really do anything for me.

21. seb83120

seb83120 Rookie

Apr 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    SEB C
    Hello i dont know if you can see this message but can you send me the Scan you have. I have one of this Watch and i want to know the ref. Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

22. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I saw your post by coincidence. I will send you a PM.