348 Cambelt change That old old Chesnut | FerrariChat

348 Cambelt change That old old Chesnut

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by RAY430RED, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    #1 RAY430RED, May 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well just got the engine out of my Concours 348TS While changing the belt it is the ideal time to make sure all is as perfect as poss for the FOC concours in July But would you not agree with me my right honerable friends this is the proper way to check w/pump cambelt tensioner and bearings ect and making sure everything is all tickyty boo I am just putting te tin helmet on Karl my old mate

RAY360m
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Ray can i say how nice and clean that is,very nice indeed,cant go into the cam belt issue,
    are you doing the shims while its out Ray,and while the cover's are off dial the cams in,she will sing like a beauty m8,always cap off the oil lines and inlet plenums Ray just keeps the nasties out,
    great pics cheers Ray,

Dale.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you dont need your tin hat on thats the proper way to do it so you can check the tensinors paint the rocker tops and check all the oil seals
    read the 355 cambelt change with engine in take the fuel tank out strech all the water pipes to get them of putting strain on fuelpipes and fittings[bottom pully cant be shown top secret i know what they do] no wonder the fuel lines crack and cars go on fire hope the tensinors are ok as you cant see them you might as well just take the petrol tank of seats out and get a sthil saw and cut a hole in the bulk head then you can have a proper look
    so i think i might need my tin hat on with this reply as a few people on here keep getting GOD mixed up but the truth is out there

4. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Well Said Steve

5. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    Ray what a fantastic condition your 348 engine is in no wonder you have won a lot of the Concours events Can you say if there is much difference in the cost of engine out and in cambelt servicing Who prepares you car or do you do it all yourself ? Mine is due for a major service in a couple of months who do you recomend .Send a pm if you like

Thankyou ZYMOL348

6. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004

7. 512Girl

512Girl Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Rachel *~*~*
    Hi Ray

Your 348 looks absolutely 'stunning'! I thought my TR was pretty good, but looks like I need to put some more time and effort into it before it gets as good as yours, and if I want to come anywhere in the Concours, going by your track record, it is obvious that you are the 'man' who knows what is what!

Are you entering your 348 this year? I am considering entering my TR, any ideas what the competition for me would be like?

Keep us updated with pics of your car, I am sure I am not the only one interested!

512Girl

8. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi Ray,

Nice pics, Good job you use a good Midlands Ferrari man for the work, eh Ray !!!!

I must find you a wooden spoon to do a bit more stirring ??

See you at the Concour.

Regards

Phil.

9. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Hmmmm....Methinks some trickery is afoot! RAY360M is the number plate on Ray Ferguson's 512TR. 512GIRL's name is Rachel, according to her post. Ray Ferguson has a daughter named Rachel. Ray's daughter lives in Wiltshire. 512GIRL lives in Wiltshire. Simple coincidence? I think not. You be the judge of it...

11. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Sorry to ask.... but how many miles has it covered Ray ? I was thinking of doing mine to a high(ish) standard one day but after seeing your pics ..I don't think i'll bother, i'll be 6 foot under before mine looked half as good! Fair play m8 !

12. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for posting the picture Ray, it really is a fantastic looking car. ive just had the engine out in my 348 for belts and decided to clean everything while it was out, I was really pleased with the end product, until i saw yours and realised im not even halfway there.

Andy.

13. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Andy and Steve Firstley dont get dispondant compariing engines and 348s To get my car into the condition its in now without spending a fortune with a car preparer to win the compatitions has taken at least four years
    Each winter with a lot of help from my good friend at MDS we would spend a few quid and spend a whole load of hours cleaning off tons of undseal and crap, repaint wheel arches strip suspension take out seats carpet ect
    Most nuts and bolts on and around engine and compartment have either been replated or replaced My car had done 26,000 mls and had done loads of trackdays and i had even raced it twice before i went on the concours route so it can be done just keep plugging away at it If you need any other info let me know RAY360m PS car has 29,000 on the clock

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job. What kind of exhaust system is that? I haven't ever seen one with separate mufflers for each side. Only the dual and single exhaust systems, that have botton sides going into the same muffler.

15. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ray,

Ive only a few things to say - great car/ great job at cleaning and stripping out and cleaning ready for concours/ keep it up m8, Im sure theres a lot of guys on here who really dont know what it takes to go to the lengths you do to get top results.

Any time you need any help ill have a run over and polish and assist any time

16. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    have you got the engine back in yet also are you going to stanforg hall if so are you taking the 512

17. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi Joe and Steve thanks for the interest in the Concours preperation The stage we are at is belts done all componants checked (waterpump tensioner bearings shims all re set on tappets replace plugs hoses that cant be got at easily ect) We have got radiators and oil coolers out radiator needed recoring
    due to not much use i guess they get corrodid inside when not used often
    I decided to bite the bullit and remove all wishbones and assoited parts to have shot blasted re powder coated black Then have the whole lot rebushed so will be as brand new Bush cost a bit of a surprise around a grand but well worth doing to know all is Stil waiting for nuts bolts and bits to come back from the platers .will post new pics when we start putting engine and suspension back on

Ray360m ps wont make the event thisweekend Steve