Anyone know this 512BB? | FerrariChat

Anyone know this 512BB?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rossofiorano355, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a pretty clean car from the photos.

Those carb Boxers run the best IMO. This is the second one I've seen recently on the market, the other one in Chicago, Black/Black with high miles.

That's an honest ad from my read of it!!

Get your wallet out and make a play!
    See ya' at the 2004 Pirelli Classic!!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Somehow the description of condition (and the photos) seems too good for a seller willing to accept an amount "well below $43.3K". No mention of DOT/EPA papers is a red flag too (since it's in the US).

But I still wouldn't mind owning it ;)

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Chicago car ran out of steam at $34K, no sale. ($50K Reserve)

I guess future maintenance scares folks away. It's a big machine to feed.

I tell folks that drool on my cars, "It's a liability, not an asset!!" LOL!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I like the "$300K in the '80s".

I remember a 'glass 308 at $115K, also. White/Blue. I never seen it again.

Makes today's prices seem absolutely reasonable!!

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Speedy308, the fact is the BB512i outperforms both the 365GT4BB and BB512 in all areas except top end. So, here in the colonies where acceleration trumps top speed, the BB512i is the car to own. Especially when you factor in the ease of maintenance of the injected over the carbed carbs. That being said, I must admit that the carbed cars do sound better.

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well I may be wrong, but my take is...
    The car sat for 10 years, requiring the replacement of the moldy interior carpet and leather.
    The wing and extra spoiler crap that was added, were removed,
    and the paint in those areas touched up with modern paint that that is incompatible with the original paint, and will be a problem in a year or two.
    No mention at all about any major service being done on the car during it's life, so an engine out for who ever buys it.
    And last but not least, the seller has no clue if the milage on the car is
    Miles or kilometers... BS!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    True, I would not even consider it, without knowing an excellent carb man! ;)

I believe JRV mentioned that the later cars had a tranny update as well, that made them a better gearbox.

I just could not afford an injected one, but could get to $40K for an older car.
    A man should know his limitations!!!! LOL!

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The odometer reads just under 25K, but I'm not sure if it is calibrated in miles or kilometers

.......would you buy a car from a man that doesnt know a street car cant do 330 mph.Well you could theorhetically put 4 turbochargers ontop of the intake plenums that lead to the paxton sc, but the tires would probably shred apart first, they are only V rated!

9. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    This car is a mess. It isn't worth a nickel over $35k.

After 10 years of sitting, it needs a lot of work. Engine out and all rubber replaced: water pump seals, cam belts, coolant hoses, gas lines, carb seals, drive belts, engine seats/bushings, etc. Also, brake lines, bushings, rubber washers, etc. This is a $5 - 8k job if done right. Also depending on the coolant when stored, the chemical breakdown could have the block etched or eroded. At least the brake master has been done.

But the real interesting thing is the headers that have been capped off. How can it run properly with these capped and consolidated into a large collector; it can't. Also notice the Testarossa heads in red, and the red half shaft on the left side. This engine has been overhauled (could have been a good thing) and the original Boxer parts replaced with red parts from other models. It didn't come that way from the factory. Odd he doesn't claim credit for "major engine rebuild". Check out the photos below. He says "because I am somewhat of a perfectionist." I THINK NOT, or he would have not placed those red heads there.

This car was on E-Bay at least twice before in 2002 (would that be stored 10 years plus two more years?) The previous listing was 1/25/02:

"1979 Ferrari Boxer BB 512 Coupe This Boxer has been in storage for years and has been completely gone through just lately. It has Bill Decarr paint, $10,000 paint by the best. It has all new leather interior. A major service just has been finished. Very fresh Boxer ready for a new owner. 24,723 miles." The Reserve was not met at $46,400.

Someone isn't telling everything they know.

Ciao

Lee

10. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thank you all for your input; once again this forum shows itself to consist of helpful and knowledgeable members.

11. boxerboy

boxerboy Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't know this car, but your comment about the headers being capped off is not quite accurate. What you see are the balance pipes from the main mufflers to the resonators that reside behind the rear wheels. They appear to be gone. I think all that would do is save some weight [30 lbs] and perhaps be somewhat louder. The stock exhaust is HEAVY and very quiet. A Tubi sounds great on this car, but required some fitting of the rear lower valance.

12. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    I guess we will agree to disagree. What I see are at least two of the exhaust tubes/pipes capped off. I am very familiar with the resonator set-up, and these capped-off pipes have nothing to do with that or any other legitimate exhaust architecture.

I have 27001 with a Tubi installed and all the header pipes are connected to something; nothing is closed off. And I would be the first to agree that it sounds great. See the attached photo of a 512BB Tubi install.

We can, I'm sure, agree that this car is not as represented by the seller.

13. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    lee, i remember your car from michael sheehan. it's unbelievable. do you have more pictures to share? and congrats. what a car.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    For reference, here's the original factory Euro exhaust system for an injected Boxer. Each header has four outlets and they feed into four different mufflers.
    It's a very complex system.

Gary

PS: Lee, your Tubi looks fanatastic! I've been looking around hoping to find a used one for my car. The stock exhaust is just too quiet for my taste.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Complex.....AND HEAVY! LOL! That Tubi looks beautiful.

16. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    seller ended early

again a joker on ebay............?