1975 308GT4 #10636 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1975 308GT4 #10636

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jay GT4, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

SWEET!!! Can't wait to see her when she's done. Did you ever order a set of wheels from Ferrari UK, or are you still planning to steal mine :)

By the way, I have a set of 14" star patterned wheels (+tires) if you are interested (IIRC, you had the while BBS-type wheels?). My wife really wants me to get them out of the garage, so they are cheap...

Dom

2. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Me too. Been in the shop since January 10, 2004. No new wheels -------- yet. Can't afford them right now, this repaint isn't cheap. I DO know where I can get some 16" ers pretty cheap, but the F-car owner isn't cooperative. He even has new tires on those rims. I am leaving the BBS centers white to see how that will look, I have seen white rims on red 360's and it looks sharp! Otherwise, gold centers.

3. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    J,
    How are you making out with your car?

It must be almost summer up there in Toronto by now. I thought you would have her on the road by now.

Stacy

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks for asking, my thread got hijacked :) Actually I'll post some more pics soon. It's down to the tiny things. Oil cooler housing, front pad mounting pins, two bolts that hold the dog bone to the trunk, a front US turn signal and install the tail pipes. I'm aiming for the end of May....I hope! UK dosen't have the parts and Rutlands is looking as we speak. If anyone can help...

5. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    JAy
    Seeing that your car is apart. Would you be able to take a pic of the rear window trim gasket from a side profile. I assume it's 1 piece that wraps aroung the window. Mine is missing and I have called everyone, and nobody seems to be able to help. Part number in the parts manual is for the actual window seal gasket. I wouls like to see the side view to see if I can match it.
    Thanks

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I will do it this week-end. I don't have that trim on the car yet so it will be easy to photograph.

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Mine is already on the car, here is the best pic I could take...

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    New tires and rims went on today...now if only I could find a pair of wheel wells and front caliper mounting pins...

9. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Car is looking sweet Jay! Wheel wells should easily be found at various F-car parts dealers, or simply you could make them yourself out of fiberglass, but you would need a mold. Maybe I could make you a set for your rears, then all you would have to do is drill the mounting holes, cost maybe $10 in glass parts. If you are interested, let me know.

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I've tried Rutlands and various other guys with no luck. One more guy here locally is going to check this week-end, if it falls through I will definately get a hold of you. Thanks. Any idea of the mounting pins? I think they are also found on Volvo's...but which one? I don't have the old one to compare it to.

11. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Not sure what pins you are referring to: the pins that hold the calipers together? You other option in that case, would be to purchase rebuilt calipers, they would come with them, a rather expensive option, but you will have your pins.

I repaired my front nose fiberglass piece below the front bumper and did ALL of the repair work myself. From numerous bottoming out over the years tore the nose underpiece apart, now you can't tell! It was alot of work, but is probably stronger now. I would use my existing inside wheel well inserts, lay aluminum foil up against the inside or the outside of the well insert, then lay the glass cloth over the foil with resin/catalyst. The foil simply peels away so you won't have this huge frigging mess to contend with when it dries.

BTW, my car has been wetsanded and buffed, 5 coats of clear over the rosso corsa paint. The shop called me yesterday to tell me that the car is sitting outside curing and he needs sunglasses to protect his eyes from the brightness of the color.

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks Don, I'll let you know soon. Pushed the car into the driveway...

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Wow - looks terrific! What a great looking car.
    What kind of wheels are those?

I think another source if you have not tried is GT Auto Parts in Az - don't have # handy, but they usually have a lot of donors at good prices.
    best
    rt

14. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Thanks! The rims are 16" 3 piece Momo's with 205/55/16 Kumho Ecsta 712 on the front and 225/50/16's on the rear. I will try GT auto parts later on today.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Beautiful car Jay. It looks to be the nicest one in the country. The color is good too!

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  17. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Looks good . I am new to this forum, I've been there myself with my own gt4 in the mid 90's. Took 2 yrs to complete its the same colour of yellow with blue interior. Will post some pictures hopefully (not that good with this digital camera and computer technology, only good a fixing my Ferrari).

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    FOUND THE FRONT MOUNTING PINS!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, I just wish the interior looked as good as the engine bay!

19. Rolly

Rolly Rookie

May 6, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice to see your car coming along Jay, hope you can make it to the concourse at the Briars next weekend! I just got my car back from Rocco today, replaced all of the rubber bits (coolant hoses, heater hoses, fuel lines), plus brake flex lines that were original, new rad, tie rod ends, yada, yada, yada.....the job grew bigger, but managed to keep the marriage intact.
    Running fine and back home where it belongs.

Rolly

20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Rolly, now that your car is gone mine can go in! I was just as eager for the shipment from the UK to come in as you. Briar's....well, I'm trying but it really comes down to Rock, if he has time to finish the exhaust and small electrical work. I'll be there, with or without my car. See you there!

21. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Wow, nice to see you again Rolly!! So how come you took it to Rocco, something happened to the Newfie?

22. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Jay/others, just got these photos from the body shop. Goodbye bianco, hello rosso corsa!

23. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Don, Looking good!

I just got a carpet made (not wilton). Actually I cut it out myself and then had it binded. It is quite the task to get everything in tight and smooth! Don, I may take you up on the wheel wells. I'll PM you.

24. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Mr. Jay, you've got mail. Thanks for the kind words. The car looks better than the day it came from the factory, no waves in the body whatsoever and you can see the reflection of the building in the paint. Going to repaint the wheel centers from white to ????? I might go with the BBS look of the old style gold centers. That style has never gone out with me. Too bad they don't make that style anymore for the F-cars.

25. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

J.Grande, awesome 308! Eventually, I'd love to have one just like it!