HELP! 360 keeps CHIRP CHIRP CHIRPING! | FerrariChat

HELP! 360 keeps CHIRP CHIRP CHIRPING!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348SStb, May 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

My Dad's 360 coupe (2002) had been sitting unplugged for about a week or so, and I noticed a high-pitched chirping noise from the car. The beeping was a different sound than the beep given by the keyless entry. I was told this meant the battery was going dead, so the car was driven and subsequently plugged in.

There is now a continuous CHIRPING sound coming from the car. However, the sound is definitely the beep made by the keyless entry/theft deterrent system. Chirp chirp chirp! It's chirping all day and all night. The chirps are random and about once a minute on average.

What the heck is going on here?

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Call (714) 662-7600, ask for Chris and tell him your friend Jimmy Wu sent you, he would answer your question

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Have you tried to reset the computers by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery? (You don't have to physically disconnect the battery -- there's a switch, as you probably know.)

If that doesn't work, you should probably leave the battery disconnected (again, using the switch) until you're ready to take it somewhere to be fixed.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the alarm system has also a battery - a warning signal is generated if discharged - the following has more details: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16780

5. 0123

0123 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    My 360 Modena did the exact same thing. If you disconnect the main battery, the car still chirps. The reason is that there is a second battery for the alarm. My dealership was puzzled at first because it never seemed to chirp when I brought it in. They later fixed the problem by replacing the alarm battery. I will double check my records to see if that was what they replaced.

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    never heard of this chirping problem...

hopefully u can get it easily fixed.

7. 0123

0123 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    In follow up to my prior post, my warranty covered invoice from my dealship states that the alarm siren was changed on my 360. This part may have included the alarm battery as well.

8. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    The siren is a factory sealed unit made by Bosch. It has a small circuit board and two 1 " dia. Z3A120 NiCad batteries inside. I'm not certain what a new siren costs but have heard they are around $ 360 at the dealership. The alarm uses these batteries as back up power for the alarm system and detects the battery condition when the alarm is cycled. When the batteries go bad or aren't fully charged a fault occurs. I carefully cut the unit open along the factory seam .... and found that the battery contacts were corroded resulting in undercharged batteries. I cleaned the contacts and resealed the unit with silicon. It has worked fine ever since. I tried to find replacement batteries ...... searched the world via the internet ... no one in the US had these .... and the few sites that did list them were all overseas and never responded to my e-mails.

The problem I experienced was four short beeps every few times I started the car ... but the real issue was the in dash alarm light would cycle at startup ... then stay on constantly ...... an indication that there was a fault in the system. I'm not certain what a contant beeping means as mentioned at the start of this thread ... but someone posted above that the batteries were most likely bad and the siren unit needed replacing. There is another option .... had my batteries been bad I was going to buy two radio shack nicad battery packs totaling 7.2 volts and use these as a replacement for the original ones. They are sealed packs with wires and connector. Would have required soldiering the wires to the original contact points on the circuit board .... but would save the cost of a complete replacement ...... nicad packs cost $ 20 at radio shack and this IMO is the only problem. If anyone knows where to find the correct replacement batteries ...do let everyone know.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "I was going to buy two radio shack nicad battery packs totaling 7.2 volts and use these as a replacement for the original ones."

fwiw: You can use other NiCd batteries as long as the new ones have approximately the same total capacity (mAH) as the original ones. If the capacity isn't marked on the original ones, you'll probably get close enough by just matching the physical size. Nicads need a trickle charge which is proportional to their capacity so if you get oversized batteries, they won't charge properly using the original circuit components.

10. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I looked everywhere for the OEM batteries ..... real oddball size ... approx. 1/2 inch tall by 1 inch round ... looks just like a watch battery but much bigger ..... radio shack doesn't have anything close to this size (or any site on the internet for that matter) ...... but RS does have "cordless phone" battery packs which most likely have higher Milliamp ratings ..... but are the correct voltage and IMO these should work. I never went this route ...... only thought of this as opposed to throwing the whole unit away and spending $ 360 for a new one. If this exact unit was in a Honda ... it'd cost $ 50 .... but since it's for an F-car ... the dealer nicks you for 7 times this price .... and it's not even a Ferrari part ...... Bosch unit made in Germany.

11. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "radio shack doesn't have anything close to this size (or any site on the internet for that matter)"

Try Fry's.

If you can match the volume, albeit in a different form factor, you'll be close enough capacity-wise (assuming the correct voltage, of course).

12. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I sent my old batteries to Bruce Wellington and VOILA! A few weeks later, I have new batteries in hand.

FYI, the replacement siren unit is $550.00 through the dealer. The replacement batteries via Bruce are only $38/ea plus shipping and I think he ordered some extras. A WHOPPING $450+ savings minus labor.

I think these siren units were used in pre 2002 360's and 550/575.

Happy me!