Which ferraris are genuinely daily driveable? | FerrariChat

Which ferraris are genuinely daily driveable?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by noony, May 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    My dad keeps trying to talk himself out of a 355 because he doesn't believe it is daily driveable, and doesn't really want a car that will sit in the garage 6 out of 7 days.

So, which ferraris are daily driveable? 550 is the obvious choice, but it's too long for the garage. First choice cars are 360, 355, and 512TR/M, all manual.

Thanks, we don't want another porsche now do we!

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    THE 355 IS THE BEST DAILY DRIVEABLE ONE ON YOUR LIST

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #3 360CS, May 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 360 and 355 are very usable cars, I would say as useable as any porker.......Perhaps yr poor old Dad really likes his Silver bullet..

Its a drastic mind change in stepping out of the Porker and into a real driving machine.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Father Davey S1

Apr 21, 2004
    Cardiff
    Full Name:
    Paul Marshall
    I have a 456. I don't drive it every day but it would make an ideal daily drive. Dare I say that it is a little less flashy than the the two seater but a lot more practical. Plenty of luggage space, four up if required and blstering pace. It is only recognised by those who appreciate its form and I have even parked it in Sainsbury's car park!!. They are expensive to maintain but decent ones are now a lot less than their last £170k list and can be had for £40 -50k for a decent one

Paul

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I reckon the 355 is a very usable car; My father concurs with me on this.

It is surprisingly refined on a long trip. I'd have no problem with using mine regularly, but it will cost lots to run compared to the 911. But then any Ferrari will.

Has your pa tried a 355 yet?

6. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Father Davey S1; I'm afraid a 456 is too long for the garage aswell. The running costs are quite scary also, even more so than a TR or 550.

Robert, he had a ride in Tony's ;)

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the problem with a 355 daily driver is that the thing is pure flash. very non-subtle car. i couldn't drive mine ANYWHERE without attention. the 550 on the other hand, length notwithstanding, is much less loud (it's black too, instead of yellow - that's something).

also, if you're gonna go 355, avoid the spider for daily driving - the seats were, imo, so compromised to fit the folding roof that they aren't that great. the GTB/GTS seats are WAY nicer than the Spider chairs.

doody.

8. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I think the experience of driving something like a 355 daily will be very different to what your dad is used to, and may not weigh up as a daily driver in a comparative sense. For example, I doubt his 911 has to be shifted straight from first to third until the gearbox oil has warmed up, like a 355 does.

It's really a question of what you are willing to put up with, or put another way, what experience you are looking for. I would say that if you are looking for something that can get you from A to B with the minimum of fuss and go like a rocket when needed, then you're probably not really looking for a Ferrari - not a 355 at least. You're probably more in 911 or Impreza(type) territory. There is the 456/550 but you've ruled those out already.

There are a few reasons why I don't use my 355 as a daily driver;

1. The dimensions dont suit town car parks etc, nor does its relative rarity.
    2. It isn't all that practical for shopping etc.
    3. I gain a higher level of enjoyment by limiting my use of it.

The third point is key for me. I used to drive a TVR Chimaera as my only car. The costs to run were similar to the 355, and it was less civilized on long journeys than the 355, but I still drove it daily for two years. This may sound weird, but I got used to it so much it felt less special to drive over time.

After a couple of years I decided to get another car and use the TVR as a toy only. Almost immediately, I found that driving the TVR less actually heightened my enjoyment when I did drive it. I later swapped the TVR for the Ferrari and continued with two cars for the same reason. When you don't use the car daily, the ownership experience is very different - it stays special rather than becoming run of the mill. That's what owning a Ferrari is about for me. I'm posting a bit late tonight because I've only just come back from giving my 355 a bit of a spanking....

I bought my 355 to drive it, and I use it several times per week not just at weekends. To own it as a second car means you have to find the time to drive it. That's not a problem for me; it may be for some. While Ferrari's can certainly be used as daily drivers, I don't personally think that is the best way to own one. It isn't for me anyway.

That probably isn't what you want to hear, but that's my take. I would suggest that the newer the model, the more likely its suitability for a daily driver. I haven't driven them all so that is just a supposition.

Richard.

9. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Good points there. It wouldn't get parked in car parks much, or used for any shopping(!).

So the 355 sounds like it is a ''nice day daily driver'' and weekend blaster. One option is to sell one mercedes, use the porsche as a winter/rainy day driver and have a 355 for fun. But we would have to wait a little longer for prices to get down nearer the £40k mark if we were to do that.

Still if anybody has a RHD red/crema GTB or GTS manual for sale @ £40-£45k at the moment I'm all ears!

Now let's go and watch the grand prix!

10. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There is also a colour-sensitivity angle here- I find my silver 355 attracts less attention than my red 328.

Tony's car is de-catted and Tubi'd so would have no doubt sounded spectacular, but your pa may have found it loud. With a factory exhaust, the engine is relatively muted at cruise and when trundling about in the traffic.

IMO less road noise than a 996 too, and a better ride.

Robert.

11. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO

Not sure I would consider a 512TR/M a "daily driver"....

12. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Me neither....

Thanks Robert, but also don't you want a tubi or something with stronger manifolds, plus getting rid of the cats means they can't go wrong?

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I've been informed that de-catting the car reduces the engine temp, hence reducing the likelihood of manifold failure.

I've also been told (by verdis) that a change in manifold design makes manifold failure in later cars comparitively unlikely.

IMO fitting a Tubi primarily liberates a better noise, which is why I want one! It also makes the engine freer breathing. De-catting it takes it all a stage further.

I'd be happy to use my 355 in any weather, provided I could be sure of its security when it was unattended. This is the critical difference to its usability compared to a 911.

14. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    I drive my 360 really regularly, in all weathers and to pretty much everywhere - it is much better than I thought it would be in that regard - I've covered 8,000 miles in 6 months and I haven't even been through a summer yet.

It's seriously that good that I cannot stop myself. The depreciation will probably end up making me throw myself off a bridge somewhere, but I just cannot stop driving this car every day. Dare I say it - it's faultless.

I find it staggeringly driveable day to day and I still find it very enjoyable and still a special experience, perhaps that will wane over time, but it hasn't one bit over the last 6 months.

The build quality of the spider is fantastic - it's easy to forget you're driving a convertible when the top's up.

I have done London > Edinburgh and back in one day, I was amazed to get out and find that I was no more fatigued/achy than doing the same trip in my bmw - and it's tubi'd.

That said, I wouldn't like to be in the situation of just having the 360 - just not practical enough. But work > back, bit of shopping - no problem. But I'd never park it in a public car park. Not unless I could see it.

Can't say about earlier Ferrari's as this is my first - I've never driven any other Ferrari.

I just hope my financial status remains as good as it is now until the day I die, because whilst picking up my Ferrari was one of the most enjoyable days of my life to date, if the day ever comes when I have to say goodbye, I'd be bloody gutted. Distraught. And probably very bored. **** - those guys really know how to build a sports car.

My 2p's worth :)

Cheers
    Paul

15. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Thanks Paul-I know full well it is tubi'd, we were behind you thru a tunnel at the maranellos meet. Maybe sell the porsche and get a 360 in a more subdued colour to use everyday.....it wouldn't get parked in any public carparks, and mum does the shopping in her hairdresser-mobile!