360CS on Top Gear | FerrariChat

360CS on Top Gear

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by daz355, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    According to my tv guide the 360CS is being compared to the 911GT3 RS on Top Gear this Sunday.Be interested to see what car comes out on top.If Richard Hammond tests them then it is bound to be porker as he owns a 911.Can't wait for the verdict.

2. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It is indeed 360CS vs GT3RS, and it's a good piece.

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    kEVIN DID YOU GO TO THE SET?????

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    YES JOE! :)

Not saying any more becorse I don't want to spoil it...

5. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I think its going to be interesting to watch this thread. If the 360CS is given the thumbs up the program will be great and our friend JC will be a top man.

If on the other hand the program identifies that the GT3RS is top gun then JC will be a bad guy, Top gear will be crap and always biased to P'cars.

Cant wait

6. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    I'm guessing Jeremy will like it!!! At least i hope so :) But then again, he never likes any car with a flappy paddle gear box!!! :rolleyes:
    And Hammond of course won't like it!!
    The GT3 RS maybe will be a little bit faster around the track (alltough i'm not so sure about it!) but the 360 CS is still be the better car for the way it drives (more fun!), the way it looks (10 times better then the 911) and the way it sounds (who needs a radio?)
    Really looking forward to the show!! :)

7. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    It will probably be one of those annoying 'which car drifts the corners' the best a.l.a Tiff Needel comparisons. The CS looks the part, but apparantly the RS is the better, more complete drivers package. This probably means it is nigh on impossible to drive flat out. I had a 2000 GT3, great track car, in the right hands...loathsome road car in my hands. Awful tramlining and very light up front. The new GT3 is even more difficult to drive, being even more scittery up front. Point to point, nothing will live with the 996 Turbo...but it's not a drivers car. It drives you.
    I would take the CS every time, the RS looks like it should sit well in Fulchester Utd's car park. What a complete minger.

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I'm a Ferrari nut without compromise, but I also get involved in Porsche, and I find the GT3 to be the most user friendly road sports car out there.

In regards to your "loathsome" experience, I'd bet your tyres, wheel alignment and anti roll bars could be tweaked to make it suit you perfectly.

The Ferrari has non adjustable anti roll bars, which I think is a major omission.

9. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    If anybody wants to go and watch at Brands Hatch 5th August(trackday), there will be several GT3s/GT3RS going round aswell as a 360 and 360 challenge. Would be interesting to watch and ride in the cars.

10. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ohhh!!!

I really looking forward to the show...........I hope :)

11. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Looking forword to seeing the CS very much,will be interesting to see what is said of the two cars,

cheers
    Dale.

12. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    "the way it looks (10 times better then the 911)"

What Bollocks !!! I am an avid Ferrari fan and many will have seen that my ultimate ownership is an F40. I love my 355 and not sure what I will ever replace is with. But all this crap about GT3 and GT3 RS's not being great cars I just dont get. I have owned several Porsches and they are great cars , particularly the RS's.

I dont think I was ever at a Porsche meet or chat site where they slagged off F-cars the way some of our members do the opposite !!!

J

13. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Over the past couple of months, I've been all the way to Stuttgart and back - via Nurburgring Norschliefe - in the GT3RS - including the wrong side of 176mph on the autobahn, and 156mph on the 'ring (both indicated, of course). I've also been lucky enough to be 'chauffeured' around the M25 and through some twisties in Wazza's 360 Stradale. So, Ben's completely subjective (and short-ish) road test is this:

360 CS: frighteningly quick, grips like Unibond on steroids, sounds like the devil taking crack with an absinthe chaser. In race mode, things get even more deliriously visceral - acceleration is the other side of lung-crushingly breath taking. And then there's the brakes - the bite is instant and retardation is progressive and although fierce, never feels 'grabby' or over-assisted. The only car I've been in which brakes better is the Enzo. Apparently, the car's steering feel is light at low(er) speeds, but this is about the only criticism... except, it's not the *most* comfortable car - fine for 75 miles or so, but would I want to cross a continent in it, err....

GT3RS: feels benign and understated until you hit about 5/6000rpm when the 6-pot sounds like a true-bred Le Mans entrant. The car also explodes towards the distance with alarming alacrity - so much so that the 996Turbo we encountered on the Autobahn was more than a little shocked not to keep up...

This car's ability is staggering though - the balance is beautiful, confidence inspiring, lovely steering feel which weights up very nicely, peachy mild and very controllable oversteer when it gets near the limit (as we found at the 'ring!), and is so planted that during what appeared to be a monsoon on the road to Karhsrue felt like a dry road beneath us at 130mph. In fact it cloaks speed to the extent that you've no idea how fast you're going (150mph on the German equivalent of a single carriageway 'A' road holds testiment to this fact), which makes it a very comfortable car to cover distance in.

Also, passengering in this car around the Nordschliefe whilst it was driven by an ex-BTCC / FIA GT racer shows you what it can do - simply stunning ability in the right hands - as the 15 cars and 1 bike we passed would surely agree - 2 *big* moments of what looked to me to be distaster/scenery-bound oversteer were calmly scooped up with more power and some opp-lock, and on we went. (I will have the vid of the lap from in-car soon if anyone's interested).

So, which would I take? My head says the Porsche. Livable, almost docile at low revs / around town, this car really is the best of both - a road-going racer. But my heart says Ferrari. I'd be surprised if the Stradale manages a better lap time in the Stig's hands, but for me, it's just more special. The Porsche turns heads, no doubt, but the Ferrari makes hearts skip. Oh, and the noise alone is worth the extra £40k

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Ben,
    nice write-up and great pics of the GT3RS trio.

15. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Nice write up Ben

I love Porsches and I love Ferraris. I respect what each manufacturer has done. Why do so many people feel like they have to choose between one or the other? In my opinion, the only bad thing about Porsche is that they are everywhere - production numbers are very high. This does not change how wonderful the car is as a driver, it only shows how successful they have been.

Consider the fact that the Ferrari/Masserati group is now losing healthy volumes of money and Porsche is like a money printing machine at the moment.

James

16. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    I never said that the GT3 RS is a bad car!!
    Just that IMHO the 360 CS is better for looks, driving fun, sound!!!
    I also think that the GT3 RS will be faster around the track!
    Never meant to slag off Porsche! I am not at all a die hard Ferrariguy, i like all fast cars. But for me driving pleasure comes first and if i had to choose, i would pick the 360 CS above the GT3 RS just for the reasons mentioned before! And if i had the money i would buy both!

CIAO...

Guy

17. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Guy

If money was no object I would probably pick the 360CS over the GT3RS. ( Actually if money was no object I would take an F40 ). I just think that the GT3RS is a very capable car , looks great (not as great as the Ferrari) nand deserves respect.

cheers

18. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not having driven the GT3RS it's hard to comment especially as I put my money into the CS. The reports for the Porsche show that it is, like all Porsches, a quality product, quick, capable and track oriented. The reports also all tend to say that it has a dog like habit, tending to try to take the driver where the call would like to go. This is great on the track as it makes the car feel quick and responsive but it is a less desirable feature for the road, especially the types of road we have in the UK. This particular effect is totally absent on the CS and I think, for me (and Sarah who hated my M3 CSL because it was also somewhat lively on the stearing) it is the main driving difference.

As for other things there is nothing that sounds quite like the CS and for me it's a better looking car and, despite being basic inside, more comfortable.

As for the money difference its the buy to sell price that matters as this is what a car will actually cost you.

19. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    Totally agree with you on this one!! If money is absolutely no object, i wouldn't pick any of the cars but go for an F40.... or an Enzo!! :) And a nice Carrera GT as well!! ;)
    BTW: nice 355 you have! Also has a very nice sound!!! :p

CIAO...

Guy

20. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My reaction I think is more emotional rather than logical (which is wierd because in absolutely everything else its the other way round !). I completely understand what hugely capable cars Porsche makes. Admittedly I have not driven the GT3 but I have driven the Turbo and the C4 as well as some older models. To date, I have not found a Porsche that that excites me in the way ferrari does.

With Porsche, it's a bit like going into an oprating theater. You have all the precission and skill that reassure you that the job will be well done but it is with complete lack of emotion or soul. When you're done, you're happy to walk away.

In the Ferrari, its a bit like entering the same oprating theater but there is a gettoblaster in the corner pumping out some awesome tunes, the surgeon is wearing a multi coloured bandana and the nurses are all ... well you've seen some videos I'm sure ! Difference being that when you're done in this one, you wanna go back in there for some more :D

That's why I would not spend my money on a Porsche even though have the utmost respect for them a driving tool.

21. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Interesting to see the 'head' and 'heart' are really ruling the choice between these two awesome cars. Having experienced both, the Ferrari would still take it for me - but for those of you who haven't driven the GT3RS here's a point to muse upon:

The difference between the GT3 and the GT3RS is as large as the difference between a Carrera 2 and the GT3. It really is a significant step forward in every area.

What I still can't fathom is how well mannered it is on the road - admittedly, I've not driven UK B roads in it, but the twisties of the Eiffel region in Germany were a sheer delight.

Ben.

22. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004

We're not 'choosing between them' as you put it, simply comparing the two most iconic sports cars on the planet. This isn't football, we don't mindlessly chant Ferarri, Ferrarri and remain oblivious to all else.
    Porsche has lost a lot of money, the boxster helped when 911's sales peaked and tailed. Why do you think they need to release so many model varients. The mark has been devalued a little IMO.At present, the whole company is being financially held up by sales of the ugliest car on the planet. The Cayenne. Huge numbers of Americans are buying these 'gawping' leviathons. Says it all really.
    That said the new 997 is harking back to the 993, the best of the 911 range and looks far and away better the than 996.

23. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i think if porsche did a choice of colours they would sell alot more as i am not a porsche lover it is very good value for money i think ferrari have lost the plot a little bit over the last few years with all the electronic aids the cs would be alot more interesting with a gear stick or a 12 cylinder in the engine compertment

24. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Steve, this was my post on the CS CS CS thread

Figure this :

The RS is heavier (I believe), has less power, has no driver aids ie. traction control, costs £50k less and has one of those old fashioned manual type gearboxes as opposed to the flappy Ferrari one and still manages the same lap time. Must be one hellava motor car. If Porsche were to release it in conventional colours othere than white and without the decals it might actually be an even bigger seller.

J

25. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

What do people think of the GT2...? I kind of don't understand where it fits into the range. I mean the Turbo is the fast road car, the GT3 is the track car.. what is the GT2 suppose to be? You can pick up 996 GT2s for reasonable money so I've heard.

I must say Porsche are very good value for money WHEN you compare to Ferrari. But if you don't compare to Ferrari, then value is 'about right'. I'd personally rather pay for exclusivity and low production numbers... and 50K is worth it considering how much more exciting/ exotic and exclusive the 360CS looks over the GT3RS.