Next Gen Maser Spyder | FerrariChat

Next Gen Maser Spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Texas Forever, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What do you guys and gals think of the next generation spyder?

Retractable steel roof, nearly 500bhp, and much better looking, eh?

www.italiaspeed.com

16.05.2004 Maserati The next generation Maserati Spyder, with its Mercedes SL-style folding hardtop, is caught testing in these spy shots, as it heads towards a Geneva 2006 debut

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Couldn't find the photo but from what I've seen else where I bet its a great car.

Any chance you could pinpoint the photos?

TIA

JB

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I know. It is hard to find. Go to the second page and look for the 16.05.2004 date.

Italians and computers, sigh...

4. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Thanks for the direction to the link.

I'm very impressed with what Maserati has been able to accomplish so far and expect the next generation to be even more impressive.

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this doesnt make sense... will ferrari be canibilizing its own sales with a car that can go toe to toe with the f car for less?

6. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Dr. Tax - thanks. Here as some pics from autocar as well. The rear end looks like it will be quite aggressive (big hips). Maser has been pretty good with disguising their test mules (QP too). With 475 or 500 HP, I think it is shaping up to be a nice improvement. Considering how nice the 4.2 L powerplant now sounds, a 5L will be fantastic. And hopefully the driving dynamics will continue to lean towards sport and not MB-style luxo.

scycle2020 - the new Masers are not due to be released until after the 420 watchamcallit is out. Like today, the two (3) cars will all have similar HP - except the Ferrari will require less displacement, and of course have a significantly better power-weight ratio. I would not be surprised to eventually see the next-gen Maser powerplant making it to the 420's replacement down the road...

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't think Ferrari is worried about about losing sales to Maser. If they were, do you think that they would bring out the $250K 612 the same time as the $100K QP? Ferrari buyers are Ferrari buyers.

I'm sure every dealer can tell you stories of customers who buy a new Maranello every other year or so, even through they take a $50k haircut each time. The Ferrari river may not be wide, but it is deep.

Maserati, however, is having to plow new ground. It will take at least 10 years or so before they can truly be established. Until then, Maser main competition will be MB and Porsche and Jag.

Dr "Keeping an eye on Maserati" Tax

8. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I foresee the sharing of the V8 for the mid engined Ferrari and the front engined rwd maserati making a lot of sense..

Tuned slightly different would make up a majority of the difference along with weight distribution and weight overall.

Time to outstyle and outperform the competitors big time.

Hard to tell from the photos but the descriptions along with it sound enticing..

470 hp is a nice number.

I'm at that level right now in my present ride 465hp/3100lbs and it makes for an exciting front engine rwd car.

If maserati moves even further up the scale to 500 so much the better!

Of course with the maserati there comes a passion that goes beyond mere numbers!

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    not so sure about this..I think the current coupe is gorgeous...why change it so it looks like a 2 dr. QP? Just bring the boomerang tail lights back and we'll be set! and for the first time, I must say, thats excessive power...It could canibalize 612 sales for sure!

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I think it looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to see it in person :)

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Definitely looks like mini Quattroporte, but I think that's a good thing. IMO, if it looks like this pic, it will be a great looking car.

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point

13. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I think it looks great. It looks like the Quattroporte from the front, and the tail lights look like a 250 GTOs.

14. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    What the heck is that a$$ above the rear wheel? Sorry mates, I hate this car. Reminds me of the Lancia Kappa ... fat a$$. Front is classy though.

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Well I am not sure how much faith we should place on the spy pics with regard to hard details of the body. The QP test mule sighted a couple of years ago did throw a couple of head fakes. Below are 2 pics: 1) The actual rear-end of the QP in its final form and 2) The QP test mule. As you can tell, the execution of the rear 1/4 of the car is a bit different that what the test mule suggests. In fact much of the sheet metal is different. Regardless, we should probably expect a more aggressive rear-end for the next-gen Maser, which some people may not like.

16. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    BTW - here is the source photo for the Italiaspeed Photoshop. It is from the Maser website - originally a mirror image of what is below. I inverted so everyone can more easily make a comparison...

17. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    I hope the coupe isn't a chopped up quattroporte- I agree with bostonmini.

That will make Maserati's lineup look very boring considering they only have a sedan, coupe, and a spyder as their lineup. If you're looking for a new car and not a fan of the quattroporte's design then Maserati has just lost a sale. With two different designs, it keeps the line up interesting. I never was a big fan of "cut the sedan in half" coupe styling.

18. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Do you think Maser would introduce a “Cheaper” V6 Bi-turbo version of the coupe and vert?

PD

19. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

this wld be the upcoming "Dueporte"

20. ggeo

ggeo Rookie

May 24, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    George Georgiou
    Saw the Italiaspeed picture, Yuk. A complete cartoon if it turns out to be true. At least the current car has a certain Aston Martin elegance and restraint about it, although the new Astons seem to be getting a little bit too Bling with the money Ford is lavishing on them.

21. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I assuming/hoping that Maser will not duplicate the QP styling so exactly - I also hope that the Italiaspeed chop job is a bit off the mark. I wouldn't mind a noticeable similarity though since the QP is a nice design...