Damaged wheel rim | FerrariChat

Damaged wheel rim

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robinh, May 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ok, I'm a total idiot. I knew the space wasn't wide enough (having damged my 360M doing exactly the same thing last year). I've damaged the wheel rim on the Stradale, not much, about 3 inches and not deep. The question is are these wheels, which I think are mag alloy, repairable in the same way that 'normal' alloy wheels are. Any experience here, any thoughts?

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I regret to inform you that I don't have an answer, but I would like it if you would post a picture!

3. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Order a new one, about $3500 per rim, do it, cry and back to normal, in the scheme of accidents, you are getting off easy.

4. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Robin

My 911RS had Magnesium alloy wheels and there is a place in the UK that can repair them. As I recall it was something like Jasmine Wheels. I will try and dig out the name for you.

James

5. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Yes they are repairable. I don't know how extreme it gouge is though. Is it a surface scratch or did the wheel actually get dinged? Regardless, they are repairable. It seems that you are in Europe and i'm not too familiar with how it is in your hometown, but in California there are numerous places that do the repairs. I suggest that you ask around. If it is not that tremendous of a repair, it should be anywhere from $85-200 dollars. ALOT better than the actual cost of the wheel itself. Good luck to ya!

6. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Robin,

go to your nearest Audi dealer, let him swipe your card for £60 and you'll heve it back looking like new. Seriously they are the best at this. No need to go to some dodgy repair shop that will charge you £100+.

Don't worry and good luck !

Best
    Philip

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Robin,
    i recently had both rear rims repaired by mobile chap who visits Karl Verdi. Might be worth calling him. Price was about £80 a rim .

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    They are repairable. I damaged my right front wheel while parking and after the repair I am unable to see where the damage was done.

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Get them repaired and for Gawd's sake don't go back to the same spot again!!

10. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    They are repairable, but here is the catch: The OEM finish is powder coated. Look really close and the wheel seems to have a "Soft" protective coating on it. The wheel gouges are easily repairable. However, most shops will paint the wheel. The color is the same but the finish tends to be a bit more porous and will collect brake dust more easily. The issue is powder coating magnesium, that is where most shops get stuck. You have to look REALLY close to see the difference in the finsih (if you do not know what to look for, otherwise it is a bit more obvious).

In the States the repair is less than $100 USD

11. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thanks for the reply - I've had wheels repaired for around £50-£60 before so know the work can be done well on 'standard' alloys. My real concern is that I'm not sure the wheels on the Stradale are quite so 'mundane' a material as the 360M etc.

12. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy

Robin im fairly sure the challenge speedlines on my car are made from the same alloy and i have just had one of them repaired sounds like similar damage, Lepsomes in gillingham did it for me 50.00 quid.

Hope it helps

Andy.

13. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Don't worry they can be repaired. The 360 Modena wheels are made by BBS and Im sure the Stradle wheels are also, like the Challenge BBS's. They can be done!^_^

14. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well, the answer is yes and at a cheaper price than a standard 360 wheel because the complex shape means that the wheel lip, where the tyres meets the rim, can be repaired without needing to prep the whole wheel. The cost of the repair, which is fantastic, is £45.00. My concern about the material the wheel is made of makes no difference if the wheel is painted, which CS wheels are.

Thanks for the inputs