Should I buy a 328 or 355? | FerrariChat

Should I buy a 328 or 355?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dpardyferrari, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dpardyferrari

dpardyferrari Karting

Aug 7, 2002
    Brunswick Maine
    Full Name:
    Darrell Pardy
    OK.. I am completely hooked on this Ferrari adventure. Just did the NH get together last weekend (it was a blast!) and now I am thinking that I need a second Ferrari (family has 2 pilots and 2 navigators).

I currently have a 84 308GTS (red/tan) which I love and it runs great. I have been looking around for a 88 or 89 328GTS (black/tan). Anyone had any experience with the 328. Should I jump another level to a 355? I know the 355 is a better performance car but personally I like the look of the 328 better.

Cheers

Darrell

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I seem to remember that Ferrari actually produced a model -bewteen- the 328 and 355. What was that designation.... ?? If memory serves, they're fantastic cars, lots of power, modern convienences, and priced right in today's market. What the heck was that model? Started in 1989 I'm sure.... ts, tb, and maybe even a SS designation... upgraded 2.7 motronic, right?

Whatever that gem is/was, maybe you should consider something between the "oh so predictable" 328 & 355?

:)

-Daniel

3. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Gee Daniel, not a bit biased are we? :) Actually a '93 SS is high on my list of potential "firsts" depending on what I have available.

Mark

4. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Don't waste your time going to a 328, and consider a 348, much funner than a 355 without that awfull power steering.

5. villager

villager Rookie

Apr 21, 2004
    are you going to sell your 84?

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mark - Not to jack this thread, but CONGRATULATIONS on the job! Hope everything works out well !

Best,
    Daniel

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you are going to keep your 308, I would suggest something different than a 328 - Since they are so similar.

8. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Go for the 355! :)

9. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    good question

probably best to skip the 348 entirely and go with an F355 if you got the bucks

if not, a 328 should be very reliable and won't bleed you

i had the following problems with my 348
    - replaced the clutch and double disc clutches are $$$$$$$$ compared to the 328 clutch pack (late model 348's had a single disc clutch)
    - 348 flywheel will go out on you $$ (on F355's as well)
    - you'll need an alternator (F355's also had Alt. problems)
    - the ignition switch will fail on you
    - slow down lights and check engine lights will flash many many times, car will cut back to 4 cylinders
    - car handles on the freeway in straight line like a jumping bean compared to a 328 which feels planted
    - in the tranny the bevel gears break (or helical gears whatever they're called) tranny rebuilds are expensive
    - engine has to come out to do the water pump
    - climate control system will do funny things and you'll have no AC when you need it (although the interiors on F355's melt)
    - late models had problems with the retractable seat belt systems
    - clutch slave cylinders leak 9alos a problem on F355's)
    - ECU problems with regards to the cat thermal couples
    - igniton wires are 4x more expensive

none of the above are problem on the 328

Biggest problem with F355's is the ones built from day 1 all the way through to mid 1998 will need valve jobs sooner than later.
    Alot of guys have gotten valve jobs as early as low 20k miles.
    $$$$$$$ to repair

re. the 355 : Depends on how many wallet whippins you can take I guess

10. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    mmmh, the only problem i had on my 348 is

- alternator rebuild...(like all :) )
    - slow down light flash sometimes....
    - ehhh...nothing more (yet)

11. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Go for a 355, but be prepared for the cost if you buy one with very little money spent on it. If its got a good number of miles on it, make sure it also has a lot of receipts for clutches, brakes, reconnolising etc etc

Good luck
    Ade

12. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    What can I say??
    Best compromise is 328, IMHO. I do not PERSONALLY prefer the look of the 355, but this is just personal.

348 looks fantastic, but if I have to judge from a friend of mine car, some problems are there waiting to happen.
    327... Classic and bullettproof, runs like a clock and certainly cheaper to maintain.
    But perhaps my opinion is biased...

Ciao

Eugenio

13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    :D

Thanks! No hijacking here, this job has the potential to put a nice 348 in the garage. I've always loved the 348 design but I have to admit the maintenance stuff makes me nervous. Any experiences to share?

Mark

14. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    308 & 328 are similar like Slag said. I started out w/ 328, and switched to 355. Very different car! I love the look of 328, and not crazy about the look of 355. 355 is more refined, fast, and easy to drive (so be careful!).

Based on your current possession of 308, jump to 355 sounds very appropriate to me.

15. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    328s and 355s are both very beautiful cars.

A road block for the 328 could be the interior space? I am just 6 feet with a weight of 80 kg but the 328 is simply to small for me.

16. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    I would defintely recommend looking at the 348. If you get a later model (I've got a '94 Spider) you shouldn't have too many problems. I certainly haven't had any problems with mine. From what I've heard, I woudn't be any more nervous about a 348 than a 328 or 355.

I started with a 328 and it was a wonderful car. A great improvement from the 308. But it handled like a stepladder compared to my 348. Also much slower than the 348. I've had my 348 for about 2.5 years and it's been great. It's raw and powerful and handles like it's on rails.

If I were you, I'd skip the 328. Like someone else mentioned, you've already got a 308 and the two are very similar. I'm a little biased so I'd say get the 348 (a '94 or later). You'll never be sorry. I don't have much experience with 355's though, so I can't say that the 348 would be better, but I think it would be more bang for you buck at this point.